Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th August 2014, 19:50   #1
tweek08
Loves to post

none

Default In tank fuel pump wanted ?

does anyone have one of these for sale please in good condition ? I did the bleed thing today fitted a new filter and a bottle of wynnes fuel treatment and it was running fine until tonight when it cut out on the motorway and I managed to get it home despite it cutting out a few times if I left it she restarted after a couple of mins all I got on my display was EP how do I tell if it is the in tank pump ? wish I hadn't ran out of diesel know

Last edited by tweek08; 10th August 2014 at 11:41..
tweek08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 22:02   #2
chrishumphries
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 connoisseur CDTI TOUR & ZTT+ CDTi Tourer - both in rare starlight silver

I've just replaced my ITP, do the usual check of listening by the fuel filler for the whine when the ignition is switched on, or, disconnect the fuel line from the tank at the under bonnet pump and turn over and see if any fuel is drawn up, just cover everything with rags in the engine bay first (or even at the tank end, the outlet pipe is located on the n/s under the rear squab under a circular cover). The How to on replacing the ITP is very helpful indeed and pretty straight forward. My replacement pump body came from DMGRS.
chrishumphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 22:43   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Before you do anything else, take the plug off the underbonnet pump and put some Vaseline, not grease, on the connections inside the top of the pump and then refit the plug and take it off and on a few times. RAC trick.
Old 9th August 2014, 22:58   #4
spudtrooper37
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 2004

Make sure you have enough fuel in the tank, mine is a petrol and would not start.
Checked the fuel filter which on mine is located in the tank on the n/s.
Everything was ok and had lot of petrol but still not getting fuel through.
Pump was whirring away but I thought I would check the pump and that side of the tank was dry so i poured petrol directly into tank and she started.
I park on a slope sometimes and it seems all my petrol went one side of the tank.
See you have a diesel but it's worth a check.
Mods Done : Blue dash lights, Carbon Wrap Dash, Illuminated LED Sunvisors, LED Interior Lights, DD Sat Nav / DVD Headunit, MGR Phone Holder, Carpet Heater Panels, Reverse Camera, Auto Dimming Mirror, Spring Protectors, TPMS, USB Socket, Ambient Lighting, Rear Cup Holder, Rear Power Sockets.
spudtrooper37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 23:10   #5
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweek08 View Post
does anyone have one of these for sale please in good condition ? I did the bleed thing today fitted a new filter and a bottle of wynnes fuel treatment and it was running fine until tonight when it cut out on the motorway and I managed to get it home despite it cutting out a few times if I left it she restarted after a couple of mins all I got on my display was EP how do I tell if it is the in tank pump ? wish I hadn't ran out of diesel know
You may wish to update your UserCP as your "avatar" shows the car as being 'none'. This may help others to address your query

BTW - Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old, Was going to put in the Wanted section, but upon reflection maybe here is best

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 09:07   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweek08 View Post
The diesel fuel system is self bleeding when working correctly. If your ITP has failed then keep over a quarter of a tank of fuel onboard and, again if everything else is working as it should, the car will run fine.

If you get EP on the gear selector display then check that your plenum chamber is clear and that your ECM hasn't gone for a swim.

The EP can come up because the autobox isn't communicating on the CAN bus with the engine ECM due to the CAN bus controller in the ECM failing.

With no communication between the two the autobox goes into Emergency Program. The reason the engine shuts down is that the ECM also doesn't power the fuel pumps when this happens.

If your ECM has bought the farm send it to Marinabrian - he will either repair it or reprogram a new ECM for you.

He did a superb job on mine.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 10:16   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudtrooper37 View Post
Make sure you have enough fuel in the tank, mine is a petrol and would not start.
Checked the fuel filter which on mine is located in the tank on the n/s.
Everything was ok and had lot of petrol but still not getting fuel through.
Pump was whirring away but I thought I would check the pump and that side of the tank was dry so i poured petrol directly into tank and she started.I park on a slope sometimes and it seems all my petrol went one side of the tank.
Parking on a slope was a red herring. On a later petrol model, you've describled all the symptoms of Fuel Filter Syndrome (FFS). The filter body/cap had slackened allowing fuel to bleed out into the LHS of the tank. Repeated attempts to start (due to lack of fuel at the engine), causes the RHS to be emptied. The pump is then left without feed. Checking/tightening the filter module fixes FFS temporarily and topping up the tank puts juice where the pump can prime. The engine will start and run. However, FFS is a repeat offender and will recurr. The only permanent fix is to fit the Fabled Orange Clip (FOC). Even though your seems to be OK now, I'd strongly suggest fitting a new filter seal and the FOC asap.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 11:40   #8
tweek08
Loves to post

none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The diesel fuel system is self bleeding when working correctly. If your ITP has failed then keep over a quarter of a tank of fuel onboard and, again if everything else is working as it should, the car will run fine.

If you get EP on the gear selector display then check that your plenum chamber is clear and that your ECM hasn't gone for a swim.

The EP can come up because the autobox isn't communicating on the CAN bus with the engine ECM due to the CAN bus controller in the ECM failing.

With no communication between the two the autobox goes into Emergency Program. The reason the engine shuts down is that the ECM also doesn't power the fuel pumps when this happens.

If your ECM has bought the farm send it to Marinabrian - he will either repair it or reprogram a new ECM for you.

He did a superb job on mine.
I have nearly half a tank of fuel Mike when this reoccurred on the motorway if my plenium is clear does that mean I have another fault ? I recently fitted another second hand gearbox into my car while I repair my old one could this be the problem ?
Old 10th August 2014, 14:25   #9
tweek08
Loves to post

none

Ok just stripped the back of the car to get closer to the fuel pump and it is humming along nicely the only fault I am getting is the EP ? code is it due to this new gearbox and the ECU not talking to it. I got told if they brings up a fault that would shut the electrics down in safe mode ? the previous gearbox had the same fault codes and I wonder if this one is doing the same thing would not clearing the codes still cause problems ?
Old 10th August 2014, 17:37   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The next time it cuts out and fails to start check to see if the engine oil light comes on with key to position 2. If not then get the ECM checked out.

If you know anyone local with a T4 then a quick session should tell you where the fault lies, and if there are any coding issues with your new gearbox.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote