Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st July 2014, 19:55   #21
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmirza16993 View Post
You've been a life saver my friend. Regarding this Jules, does he have a website or something I can check out? Also do you know how much he sells the
resistor for?
Have a look HERE

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 10:05   #22
mmirza16993

Rover 75

Right guys, well I think in light of the advice I've received, it would be best to first sort out the resistor and hopefully that solves the problem. If not then I'll have a look into the thermostat replacement.

Regarding the firing on all cylinders issue, I'll make a note of the aforementioned possible causes of the problem and talk to my mechanic.

I'll be back in touch with everyone on the thread as soon as.

In the meanwhile, thank you all so much for the help and support
mmirza16993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 11:59   #23
mmirza16993

Rover 75

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking now of replacing my 75 with an identical 75, however, this one is a year newer (2005) with 34000 mileage. I understand that in older models the head gasket was an issue, comments have been made that head gaskets go every 35-40k miles.

Did that issue ever get fixed by the manufacturer for the newer models. My concern is that are we going to face another head gasket issue in the future with the newer 75 that I am looking into.

Please reply ASAP

Cheers.
mmirza16993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 12:20   #24
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmirza16993 View Post
Please reply ASAP
Ten days ago you were going to renew your fan resistor. What's happened with that? Has someone told you that your head gasket has gone?

A newer car, with lower mileage, is not necessarily going to be more reliable.
The head gasket on any engine, but particularly on the 1.8, will fail if the cooling system is neglected. There is no fixed mileage interval; some owners have never had a failure.
The manufacturer produced an uprated MLS gasket for the 1.8, but it is not a magic cure in itself. Other factors have to be taken into consideration which you can read about on this forum.

So, if you're thinking that changing the car is going to solve all your problems, think again would be my advice.

Simon
Old 10th August 2014, 12:40   #25
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Take a step back Simon, the demist test, would it not all depend on what the mechanic had done to create the switch on the dash? If he has bypassed and isolated the normal fan control creating a power source for the fan via the dash switch then the demist test is going to be academic.

Mohammed, I have to agree with Simon (SD1too) about replacing the car. You know the problems with the car you have and through this forum you are getting solutions to them. Buy another car chances are you will face problems with it as well. Head gaskets, if they have been replaced how long they last depends a lot on the quality of the work done. Low mileage doesn't automatically equate to a better car, it all depends on how it has been looked after.

One thing I would suggest is get the car to someone who knows the cars, the fact your mechanic hasn't cured the overheating, merely side stepped it by bypassed the fan controls suggests he doesn't.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 10th August 2014 at 13:03..
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 15:19   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
If he has bypassed and isolated the normal fan control creating a power source for the fan via the dash switch then the demist test is going to be academic.
That's an interesting point Steve, and one which I did consider before suggesting the demist test. Here's my thinking.

The normal fan control involves relays. To by-pass and isolate those would mean using cables and a switch capable of handling 30 amps continuously. I was satisfied that this would not be the case. My guess is that the mechanic has wired the switch to energise the fast speed relay coil, and in that event I concluded that the demist test was still valid.

However I agree that it's possible that the mechanic has done something unpredictable. Ideally the modifications need to be removed and the circuit returned to normal, and the OP can always instruct his garage to do this. The alternative I suppose is to take the car to a local meeting for some dismantling and investigation to take place. I think there's one scheduled soon just off the M25 at Leatherhead which should be convenient.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 10th August 2014 at 15:21..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote