Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2014, 21:01   #1
kellndan
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T Cdti

Default ZT T Cdti 04 cutting out randomly

Hi, I'm having a few problems with my other halfs zt diesel. Due to me not driving the car much it's a little difficult to explain whats exactly happening, as I'm relaying info off the mrs.

I've had a decent read on the forum but all it has done is confuse me

Anyway in the past 3-4 months the car has been randomly failing to start, cutting out, juddering/kangarooing, rough/lumpy idle and smoking - only when first started in the morning and for around 5 mins. I disconected the EGR and then unplugged the maf and the problems seem to dissapear, great!
Now today we nipped to the supermarket and I decided to drive, all was well untill the car cut out whilst parked up, it wouldn't start for around 2 mins then started I gave the pedal a press and the car just juddered and cut out, this went on a couple more times before I set off and seem to loose power, more juddering then cut out again. I started the car again and give the pedal a good press and there was more juddering then fine. Drove the few miles home ok.

I have talked her out of using supermarket fuel, so thats that, the pcv and fuel filters were changed just after the new year if that matters.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers
kellndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:04   #2
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

I would get it over to Bigruss, it will save guessing as to what is wrong.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:06   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I'll second Phil's recommendation, save a lot of guesswork

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 19:03   #4
Xtra100
Loves to post

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellndan View Post
Hi, I'm having a few problems with my other halfs zt diesel. Due to me not driving the car much it's a little difficult to explain whats exactly happening, as I'm relaying info off the mrs.

Anyway in the past 3-4 months the car has been randomly failing to start, cutting out, juddering/kangarooing, rough/lumpy idle and smoking - only when first started in the morning and for around 5 mins. I disconected the EGR and then unplugged the maf and the problems seem to dissapear, great!
Now today we nipped to the supermarket and I decided to drive, all was well untill the car cut out whilst parked up, it wouldn't start for around 2 mins then started I gave the pedal a press and the car just juddered and cut out, this went on a couple more times before I set off and seem to loose power, more juddering then cut out again. I started the car again and give the pedal a good press and there was more juddering then fine. Drove the few miles home ok.

I have talked her out of using supermarket fuel, so thats that, the pcv and fuel filters were changed just after the new year if that matters.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers
Sounds like fuel pressure regulator issue I had. I just replaced it with a one from a car that was being broken and Andy Willi fitted it for £20.
Might not be that though! (Just covering my base )

My lovely ZT, CDTI.

Last edited by Xtra100; 25th July 2014 at 08:43..
Xtra100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 16:53   #5
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellndan View Post

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers
Hi,

Was this resolved? These are the exact same symptoms I have been having on my 04 zt-t. My backbox has blew a hole now also and as of yesterday no longer starts, at first it was trying but not firing but now it no longer tries (suspected battery fault for no longer trying due to just clicking although my multimeter showed 12v across it this morning whilst standing and internal electrics, doors etc still function).

Best Regards,

Lee.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote