Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd June 2014, 17:38   #1
andre372
Gets stuck in

2001 Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT manual Royal Blue (JFM)

Default Ultrasonic sensor

Hi all. I'm planning to obtain a headlining loom from a saloon with a "toblerone" ultrasonic sensor and auto-dimming rear view mirror and integrate those into my Tourer's loom. With a difference that I'd like to fit the later type square sensor.

Can anybody tell if the connectors for both sensor types are physically the same?
And if BMW sensor part number 65758379938 (8379938, 8 379 938) is compatible?

Thanks
MODS: Front fog lamps, FBH timer switch, FBH OBD, boot and arm rest power sockets, cruise control, Powerflex lower arm bushes, illuminated vanity mirrors, high-line IPK, Symphony stereo + SLE, 160 remap, Revotec fan, 12N+12S, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, volumetric alarm sensor, PDC, powerfolds, sports leather memory seats, passenger anti-trap sensor
TO DO: Tilt sensor, low coolant sensor, FBH GSM remote control, heated washer jets, front parking sensors
andre372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 21:27   #2
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

I have a spare BMW sensor, I'll check the part numbers and if the same I'll test it tomorrow to see if it works (and compare connectors too as I have the internal of a tolerable type on my desk).
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 22:05   #3
andre372
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
I have a spare BMW sensor, I'll check the part numbers and if the same I'll test it tomorrow to see if it works (and compare connectors too as I have the internal of a tolerable type on my desk).
You're the best Colin, thank you!
I appreciate your how-to, this is what got me to plan the mod

EDIT: I'm not fluent in BMW parts but I searched for some square mounting bracket part numbers because Rover ones are hard to find:

Top 51448243666 (E46, Z3) [51440141043, 51448249978]
Bottom 51448243665 (E46, Z3, E38, E39) [51440141041]

There are some more part numbers and some of the top brackets are indeed rectangular.
MODS: Front fog lamps, FBH timer switch, FBH OBD, boot and arm rest power sockets, cruise control, Powerflex lower arm bushes, illuminated vanity mirrors, high-line IPK, Symphony stereo + SLE, 160 remap, Revotec fan, 12N+12S, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, volumetric alarm sensor, PDC, powerfolds, sports leather memory seats, passenger anti-trap sensor
TO DO: Tilt sensor, low coolant sensor, FBH GSM remote control, heated washer jets, front parking sensors

Last edited by andre372; 22nd June 2014 at 22:37..
Old 23rd June 2014, 21:58   #4
andre372
Gets stuck in

Angry

I've met a minor setback. I have no wiring neither for the ultrasonic sensor or the mirror in the A-pillar connector (I have the black one).

The headlining side of the connector (C0610, black) has the following:

pin 1 (BP - Black/Purple)
pin 3 (B - Black) earth, common for all the different units
pin 6 (PW - Purple/White)
pin 7 (PS - Purple/Slate)

The other side of the connector (C0084, black) has only one additional:

pin 11 - (WRY - White/Red/Yellow)

That doesn't make any sense, according to the "Rear view mirror" diagram, pin 11 should be WY (White/Yellow) and used for the 12V feed to the mirror. The diagram for C0610 (A-pillar) suggests that pin 11 be K (pinK) (well okay, C0084 does show it WRY). Furthermore, the only White/Red/Yellow wire in the A-pillar connector should be pin 9 for the rain sensor ("Wipers and washers" diagram). And that wire, looking at C0961 (rain sensor) should be K (pinK) altogether. C0610 (A-pillar) doesn't list pin 9 at all...

I don't have any intention of retrofitting the rain sensor which would mean changing the windscreen.

For the auto-dimming rear view mirror I would need ("Rear view mirror" diagram):

pin 11 (WY - White/Yellow) 12V feed from F12, shared with the rain sensor
pin 12 (GN - Green/browN) reverse switch

Now, the C0610 (A-pillar plug) layout lists pin 11 as K (pinK) and pin 12 as YU (Yellow/blUe).

The ultrasonic alarm needs:

pin 4 (KY - pinK/Yellow) from BCU's C0660-15
pin 5 (KG - pinK/Green) from BCU's C0660-31

These colours are the same on diagrams "C0610" (A-pillar headlining side), "C0084" (A-pillar other side) and "Anti-theft alarm", but different on "C0359" (ultrasonic sensor plug) which shows the "toblerone" sensor.

Now the really "funny" part. Diagram "Body control unit" confirms that pins 4 and 5 from A-pillar go to pins 15 and 31 of C0660 respectively on the BCU. I took the BCU plug apart and pin 31 was indeed empty. But pin 15 was already occupied by the KY (pinK/Yellow) wire!

I also found 4 pins (19, 22, 51, 52) which are wired but not mentioned in the C0660 layout. I checked all the colour codes and found only a sinlge mismatch: pin 30 marked as LGB (Light Green/Black) is actually PG (Purple/Green). And I discovered pins 7 and 12 which are for the BBUS, are empty. I always thought upgrading to BBUS was plug-and-play (regarding the plug, not the T4 side of things of course).

I don't mind doing the wiring and I'm always looking for the cheaper parts to do some handywork which I really enjoy. But this just drives me crazy. I have a pile of diagrams printed out in front of me on the desk and there's so much contradiction.

At least I have the wiring for illuminated sun visors. I checked the voltage, too, no bad surprises from there, fortunately...
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:19   #5
Bolin
This is my second home

Hi Andre, apologies I didn't manage to test the BMW unit today, but I'll have a go tomorrow.

I'm afraid I can't help with the BCU>A pillar wiring, luckily it was already there on my car.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:38   #6
andre372
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Hi Andre, apologies I didn't manage to test the BMW unit today, but I'll have a go tomorrow.

I'm afraid I can't help with the BCU>A pillar wiring, luckily it was already there on my car.
Thanks Colin, that would be great.
I managed to find some pictures which hint that the "toblerone" and "BMW type" sensors take a different plug. It would still be nice to know for sure if a BMW sensor works in a Rover 75.

I could figure out the wiring if there wasn't this wire in the BCU that doesn't reach the A-pillar. Weird.

Old 24th June 2014, 21:15   #7
Bolin
This is my second home

I have a toblerone sensor from a Rover 25, which looks identical to that from a 75, so I am 99.9% certain that the plugs are the same between these - however, they are different compared to the square box type sensor, the latter has an extra 'flange' on the edge of the plug. Perhaps the later plug would fit the earlier sensor if the flange was filed off, and perhaps the earlier plug would fit the later sensor as a straight fit, but I can't test that idea without attacking my existing plug which I don't want to do

I have a BMW square box sensor, which looks identical to the Rover square box sensor (it is a BMW part after all), and the only visible difference is the part number sticker. Sadly the BMW one didn't work when I tried it, but when I tried the Rover one to make sure it was still working it didn't work either! I suspect there is a BCU issue as the sensor definitely used to work plus sometimes that hazards randomly do an extra flash when opening a door shortly after unlocking. So I can't actually do the test until I have solved the non-functioning problem, sorry
Old 24th June 2014, 22:27   #8
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Have you seen this ?....

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=118742

May be of some help...

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 00:13   #9
andre372
Gets stuck in

Quote:
I have a toblerone sensor from a Rover 25, which looks identical to that from a 75, so I am 99.9% certain that the plugs are the same between these - however, they are different compared to the square box type sensor, the latter has an extra 'flange' on the edge of the plug. Perhaps the later plug would fit the earlier sensor if the flange was filed off, and perhaps the earlier plug would fit the later sensor as a straight fit, but I can't test that idea without attacking my existing plug which I don't want to do

I have a BMW square box sensor, which looks identical to the Rover square box sensor (it is a BMW part after all), and the only visible difference is the part number sticker. Sadly the BMW one didn't work when I tried it, but when I tried the Rover one to make sure it was still working it didn't work either! I suspect there is a BCU issue as the sensor definitely used to work plus sometimes that hazards randomly do an extra flash when opening a door shortly after unlocking. So I can't actually do the test until I have solved the non-functioning problem, sorry
Colin I hope it didn't stop working because of connecting the BMW sensor. Hope you get it sorted.
It's at least clear now that the connectors are different.
Thanks for taking the time and cheers for the how-to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
Have you seen this ?....

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=118742

May be of some help...
Thanks, Andrew, I have seen that, in fact, that's where I got the idea
I've stumbled upon some difficulties. I don't have the required wiring in the A-pillar connector. I could run the wires from there to the BCU myself but one of the related pins in the BCU is already occupied. And where it goes from there, I have no idea.
The accuracy of Rave diagrams isn't reassuring either...
Old 10th August 2014, 17:28   #10
Bolin
This is my second home

Quote:
Well, I tried again and it's all working fine now

BMW sensor 65758379938 as used in E38, E39 and E46 does work in our cars and is a straight swap for the Rover sensor YWC112250.