Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th June 2011, 10:12   #1
fender22

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Computer failure nightmare!

Hi, have a Rover 75 2002 model which many months ago had a computer failure due to water getting in. It's the little white box down behind the drivers kick panel. Not sure if it is the main car computer (engine management etc) or if it is just the immobilizer / door locks etc).
I'm in Brisbane Australia.

Anyway, got in it one day and it didn't start. Had it towed to my mechanics, he had it checked out and was going to be approx 6 weeks from the UK to get the computer and a new set of keys, reprogrammed etc. Not the end of the world. Anyway, after about 8 weeks I rang the mechanic
and he said that they had chased it up themselves and the employee at the place they ordered it off had left and they had no record of the order and they had to start the process again. Anyway, long story short and about 6 months later and parts have been sent but the wrong ones, then they sent the keys (apparently) but not the new computer box etc.
I am at the point now where I can't continue on. I've had the same mechanic for years and he's always been honest etc so I'm sure he's also been mucked around. My question is does the vehicle need this thing to function or can it be over ridden? Is it possible to get the components out of a wreck? (would need the keys also obviously)

If not can anyone recommend someone in the UK who I could order keys and a control box off myself?
fender22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 13:28   #2
Prometheus
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Hi i think your talking about your ECU.

This controls your whole car no ECU no car.

6 months i feel for you that's a long time. There have been a couple of other members of the club that had ECU problems i remember reading one that sent his ECU to a repairer and got it back a week later all fixed up.

I don't know about new ECU's and if they are still even available. But a Good T4 sessions is probabblly nececairy to get it all to work together.

Somebody more knowlageble in this area will probablly respond pretty soon.

In the mean time good luck !

MG ZT 190 2003
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 15:57   #3
craig8661
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 tourer cdt

is yours a diesel or petrol and also manual or automatic gearbox..

to change the ecu you will need the engine ecu under the wiper blades in scuttle pannel the body controle ecu and also the ews unit on the drivers door pillor. and the key fob.

also it will need to be a like for like modle ie same ad ons like traction controle or abs etc
mods so far synergy 2
heated washer jets
cant really add anything else as it has it all lol
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 17:16   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

The cars main ECU is in the plenum box, situated under the cover on the passenger side under the bonnet near the bonnet hinge.. The cars pollen filter lives in the same box..

Unless your cars a LHD then the ecu you have damaged isn't the main one, so I imagine it should be easier to replace..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote