Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th June 2011, 00:42   #1
markyp
Gets stuck in

MG ZT CDTI+ X-power 135

Smile LPG conversion, What engine???

I have been thinking of buying a 75/ZT petrol and having it converted to run on LPG. I would be more interested in reducing the total running costs than "out and out" performance. The 1.8 k-series would be the cheapest to convert (£900) the kv6 about (£1100), also the mpg of the k-series is better. I know the problems the k-series can have with coolant loss resulting in hgf, but iam happy to maintain the engine. There are some very cheap high spec kv6's around at the moment but then the higher tax has to be considered.
I've got a 135 cdti at the momment that returns approx 45 mpg which is fine but diesels are more costly to buy and tend to be lower spec than most petrols....
My logic behind this, is a lot of petrols(mostly V6's) seem to be selling cheaply due to the running costs and converting one to lpg would give me a high spec car with low running costs... Any advice ...
Old 15th June 2011, 02:17   #2
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

??? Diesels come in all specs? Well the Rover 75 does anyway, dunno owt about the MG range though..

Get a CDTi conny auto. Gas will always be hard to find and eventually the same price as the other fuels..

Look what happened to cooking oil, 300% increase as soon as they realised we could run some of our cars on it.. (my ZX) ..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 03:23   #3
markyp
Gets stuck in

MG ZT CDTI+ X-power 135

I know exactly were your coming from on rising fuel prices as soon as they become popular james. And the rover 75 range do have a good selection of high spec diesels but the ZT range are normally low spec in diesel form, the 1.8s are also lower spec. The best spec seems to be most common on the 2.5 V6, and no 2.0 V6 in the ZT range. I like the 75 conny but the wife likes the ZT....
a 75 conny tourer with full ZT exterior........maybe??
Old 15th June 2011, 06:02   #4
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Look what happened to cooking oil, 300% increase as soon as they realised we could run some of our cars on it.. (my ZX) ..
This is true although the cooking oil was a bit of a loophole, I used to run an old Passat Tdi on Tescos finest, well actually Tescos cheapest!
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 15:53   #5
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Hi, in my view you cant beat lpg, ive been running on lpg for 8/9 years, 1st lpged car was a Vauxhall Omega V6, then Saab 9-5 areo hot, Bmw 525, Volvo T5 V70 (fitted lpg myself), ZT V6 160 (fitted lpg myself) and now a ZT V6 190 and does 23mpg on lpg which is about the same as 46mpg and about the same as a oil burner.
All the above cars have big engines and are cheaper to buy and as i do 25-30k miles per year i could not run these on petrol.
The wifes got a Rover streetwise 1.4 which i fitted lpg on last year and she doing 32 mpg on lpg which is about the same money wise as 64 mpg.

My ZT is the best lpged car i had to date, 190 Bhp with a great sounding V6 and in a rare colour!
You cant beat it!
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 18:45   #6
whitelion58
Regular poster

2001 CDT Tourer and 04 LPG V6 Connie

I am another long term LPG evangelist.. Had 5 Rover 827's, all of which I have converted myself for less that £200 each. I still have 4 of them and the running costs are equivalent to 44mpg on petrol. They have the magnificent Honda 2.7 V6 which is bullet proof.

So, why do I have a diesel 75??? Simply because the running costs are almost identical (46mpg from the tourer at the moment) .. and I just do not trust Rover engines! I know I would always be looking for HGF. No such worries with a CDT.

If you go the LPG route there are 1.8's out there that left the factory with LPG fitted as standard, so may be worth a look.

Cheers
Tim
whitelion58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 19:46   #7
ksilver
Loves to post

ZT-T 385

You don't have to worry about HGF if you get a V8!

Yes I have LPG also.
ksilver is offline   Reply With Quote