Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th December 2023, 19:06   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default The future of car insurance for older cars.

Has anyone else been following this story from a insurance whistleblower over the past week or so? It's very scary indeed if true.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2023, 14:37   #2
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Well, I have no doubt that the "commercial" aims will be adopted by governments by legislation sooner rather than later. Which bits and how much will be the question unless mass disobedience is undertaken.

They won't allow a segment of the motoring population to sidestep all this onerous nastiness and thus classic owners will at the minimum be forced into "black box" adoption.

Some items will be be by-passed either crudely or sophisticated. One could adopt and train a chimpanze to do the alcohol test to enable the car to start. The only trouble with that is they never buy a round. ;-)

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2024, 22:12   #3
Gelen

Rover 75 Tourer

Interesting topic and a good video.
I know that some people in the USA are already concerned about it.
I even looked for the explanation online.
From what I read, the older a car gets, the harder it may be to source the parts for repair, which can drive up the cost of car insurance. Also, older cars may not have as many safety features as newer cars, which might increase the cost of auto insurance and reduce available discounts.
I don't know what people with classic and retro cars are supposed to do.
Maybe it's time to contact direct line customer service and find out about the possible changes in prices as I'll need to buy the insurance in three months.

Last edited by Gelen; 25th February 2024 at 23:23..
Gelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2024, 09:31   #4
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelen View Post
Interesting topic and a good video.
I know that some people in the USA are already concerned about it.
I even looked for the explanation online.
From what I read, the older a car gets, the harder it may be to source the parts for repair, which can drive up the cost of car insurance. Also, older cars may not have as many safety features as newer cars, which might increase the cost of auto insurance and reduce available discounts.
I don't know what people with classic and retro cars are supposed to do.
It's not just classic vehicles that might be stuck for a part or two. Some present vehicles are. A friend in the body trade had to wait six months for front bumpers for a couple of upmarket Italian cars. Cost? Astronomical. £2.7k for the cheap one and £7.5k for the other. However, I don't see why awaiting parts would drive insurance costs up.
Kev
Old 21st February 2024, 15:00   #5
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
However, I don't see why awaiting parts would drive insurance costs up.
Kev
It’s down to the cost of providing a hire car while it’s off the road. Some of the hire costs can be astronomical.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2024, 11:50   #6
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo138 View Post
It’s down to the cost of providing a hire car while it’s off the road. Some of the hire costs can be astronomical.
If that is the case, then the insurance companies need to either drive that cost down or bring in a limited time scheme, say two weeks.
Kev
Old 22nd February 2024, 16:28   #7
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Insurance, especially Motor, is a moveable feast.

As ‘The Man from The Pru’ for 25years I canvassed, sold, administered claims and often negotiated settlements. I retired from the betting game some 30 years ago and there hasn’t been much change in principle since then. Other that is than premium racking, obviously. The premium with today’s online preference is a variable of the first order and there is always a variable base from company to company. And within the same company.

The cost of replacement and/or repairs in the event damage for ‘our’ cars is yet another variable! If presented with an exorbitant price rise at renewal time, get an independent valuation (but don’t hoover or clean the car beforehand). If you are not happy with the renewal premium, brandish that valuation.

Mine is covered for 3PF&T and it’s a rather nice one, with unusually low mileage having previously been owned from new by a lady solicitor. No, not that kind of solicitor!

Start searching a month before renewal for quotes and remember, whatever we think our cars are worth, think again. We are only paying for the insurance, not doing it.
Old 21st March 2024, 23:49   #8
aponte

Audi A6

While older cars may have lower market values compared to newer models, they often come with their own set of challenges and considerations for insurance coverage. As cars age, the cost of repairs and maintenance may increase, making comprehensive coverage more important to protect against unexpected expenses. For those seeking guidance on navigating the complexities of car insurance for older cars, I recommend reaching out to oltpro customer service. With their expertise and dedication to customer satisfaction, they can provide valuable insights and assistance in finding the right insurance coverage tailored to individual needs and preferences. Whether it's understanding policy options, comparing rates, or resolving any insurance-related queries, Oltpro's team is committed to delivering exceptional service and support.

Last edited by aponte; 23rd March 2024 at 23:25..
aponte is offline   Reply With Quote