Notices

Old 9th May 2015, 06:09   #71
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
i suppose you could say the SNP won 95% of the seats they contested, which they did. UKIP only one seat. I suppose that's the rules of the game.

on the wider point about different voting systems, the public voted firmly against a change 4 years ago. I guess it's what people want.

The vote we had 4 years ago, was for the alternative vote system, which wasn't wanted by anyone!

On a true PR system, the SNP would have 32 MP's and UKIP would have 81 MP's, which would represent the true wishes of the UK Electorate!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 06:46   #72
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Possibly so. I'm just wary of parties proclaiming it wants x y or z because it's better for democracy, when what they really mean is its better for us. How many would want a system that made them worse off but was more democratic? Not many I'd bet!

Nothing personal or aimed at any one party just my general thoughts on the whole PR/AV thing.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 07:01   #73
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Seeing as a few has put some views and not to political, her`s mine
£12 Billion in welfare cuts, God help us!
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 07:35   #74
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I have to say that while PR may seem fairer, I can't see how it would benefit the country. We would end up with continual coalition governments, so still no one would get what they wanted. Things would get done even slower. The system we have is simple, vote tactically on a general election, and vote for the smaller parties for councils etc where it will actually make a difference.

Oh and yes god help us having cuts, much better we keep spending money we don't have and getting in more debt. Time to get another credit card, this 1's maxed out….

Last edited by bikerdude666; 9th May 2015 at 08:14..
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 07:50   #75
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

In fairness that's what people said about the coalition and it lasted 5 years. Many councils work in coalition as do the Scottish and Welsh gov as do many around the world. I can't see any reason it wouldn't work here.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 08:15   #76
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Although PR seems fairer and more democratic, as someone has already said, it would lead to more coalitions and minority governments. As we have had the First Past The Post system we generally, not always!, have stable governments and are less prone to radical parties or revolution.
Italy is a good example of weak governments due to repeated coalitions, or Germany before the rise of Hitler.
Although we may be forever stuck with the three main parties, I think its not necessarily a bad thing. I think its the local elections where our votes really make a difference.
Its just a shame they never seem to have a public presence unless its voting time.

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 08:30   #77
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Now this funny...

Just heard a political commentator on the radio say that although the Scottish Labour Party are in the phone book it might be better to try to contact them by Ouija board.

FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 09:19   #78
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Zero hours contracts are a hedge against vexatious and aggressive claims for wrongful or constructive dismissal by staff against employers. Cameron has stated that there will be a move to abolish Human Rights legislation which should have some effect on this situation.
Not too sure about PR, it sounds reasonable but there are problems that follow good intentions throughout politics (the law of unintended consequences).
Maybe the problem with FPTP is the size and demarcation of constituencies. They tend to be polarising in political objectives and lead to dynasties, fed by preferment of ruling parties for ‘their own man’. Perhaps a reduction in numbers of MP’s to say, 500, would lead to significant boundary changes to include a wider cross section of interests and opinions, therefore more representative? Incidentally, it would also lead to the end of gerrymandering and the significant benefit to one party or another as a result of patronage.
Old 9th May 2015, 11:53   #79
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

UKIP probably arent going anywhere, but i feel that they will slowly modify themselves into a more moderate party. Certainly that's what's happened already, the more unpleasent elements are being removed, the policies are moving more central, and they are dropping the religious nut cases that want fire and brimstone on anyone not white, straight and English.

Their notion that you can restrict or revert social freedom just isnt going to wash, there will be 80s style riots if they try, so I suspect they wont try.

The resignation of Farage will help this because most people ive talked to find him beyond odious.

Their biggest problem will be the EU referendum the Torys have promised. If it happens then UKIP is redundant, whatever the result, at least in the medium term. They will have to rebrand, as the Liberal parties did in the 80s because their main reason to be is gone.
Old 9th May 2015, 11:55   #80
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
Now this funny...

Just heard a political commentator on the radio say that although the Scottish Labour Party are in the phone book it might be better to try to contact them by Ouija board.

There are now more pandas in Scotland than Labour MP's

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote