Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th October 2019, 10:41   #1
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Default You thought 75/ZT drop links were bad...

Here are two pictures of failed rear drop links from MGBs - one of them after only 9 miles driving. Some suppliers sell these for only 8 pounds each so we can't expect any sort of quality control can we ?

Perhaps it is time to give up on car restoration and buy a Honda Jazz (but that would be giving up on life completely, wouldn't' it ?).
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drop links 10.19 001.jpg (74.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg MGB drop link.jpg (16.7 KB, 134 views)
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 12:17   #2
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

If the price sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 13:16   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I have recently have done some work on a Fiesta that included drop links, the new ones lasted a few weeks until they were as bad as the ones I junked. I asked the supplier if there was a better quality item and he supplied some H/D versions. The surprise to me was they were only 0.80p more.

Well worth asking the question.

Most people ask for the cheapest, its about time we all started asking for the best or the ones with the longest warranty.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 15:49   #4
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

It's a common problem.
There are companies that make beautifully machined versions to upgrade the MGF drop links.
Old 12th October 2019, 16:24   #5
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I have recently have done some work on a Fiesta that included drop links, the new ones lasted a few weeks until they were as bad as the ones I junked. I asked the supplier if there was a better quality item and he supplied some H/D versions. The surprise to me was they were only 0.80p more.

Well worth asking the question.

Most people ask for the cheapest, its about time we all started asking for the best or the ones with the longest warranty.
The problem with MGBs is that all the parts suppliers are selling the same junk from China, just at slightly differing prices - there are no 'higher quality' items available.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 16:47   #6
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

It amuses me that sellers name parts HD or heavy duty. It's not as if they come anywhere near to the standard duty ones fitted at the factory.

In my opinion, anything not lasting 12 months should be returned for a refund. This is the only way companies will stop selling landfill!
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 17:11   #7
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

It's frustrating as it's a simple part and it should be no big deal to manufacture one that lasts. A small manufacturer would be able to make a durable drop link in small quantities to at least satisfy the enthusiasts who don't mind paying more for a product that will last.
Back to the MGF/TF, you have a guy like Mike Satur who is a small, low overhead dealer who takes the initiative to design uprated parts and have them manufactured in small batches. The 75/ZT needs someone to do the same.
Old 12th October 2019, 19:57   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

You have stuff sold as genuine that was made years after the car brand went bust and sold at a premium. How can the buyer tell the difference between genuine
just made from "china" and below par stuff made in "china"?

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 20:49   #9
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

BS, DIN and CE used to mean something. Trading standards and customs do their best to eliminate fake products, but internet orders for single or small quantities makes it an almost impossible task: they are too busy trying to stop the mass imported fake branded stuff, not the unbranded, small order NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-. And when the original car maker disappeared long ago, you often don't even have the choice of buying OEM parts that are quality checked by the OEM!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 21:01   #10
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
BS, DIN and CE used to mean something. Trading standards and customs do their best to eliminate fake products, but internet orders for single or small quantities makes it an almost impossible task: they are too busy trying to stop the mass imported fake branded stuff, not the unbranded, small order NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-. And when the original car maker disappeared long ago, you often don't even have the choice of buying OEM parts that are quality checked by the OEM!
Did you know that a lot of 'fake' Chinese stuff still shows the CE mark, the difference is the CE mark on Chinese stuff can be spaced a little differently therefore getting around the patent laws!