Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th January 2015, 19:05   #1
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default What a trip, what a car!

I did the trip today from Wigan to Chester Le Street in Co Durham, the journey was a long one due to the weather and Accidents. I got to junction 35 and the southbound side was blocked with many crumpled cars. I got a half mile and Northbound was stopped for a car in the centre barrier, the lady driver was out and looked OK but her car was facing the wrong way. I got past that and hit another roadblock, the Police were putting cones out as the third lane was damaged, it was a BMW that looked like a 5 series on the hard shoulder, it had bounced off the centre barrier and it's possible it ended up on the hard shoulder, the front was crushed up to the bulkhead and I hope the driver was OK, it looked very bad. The conditions were below freezing at that point and possibly took drivers unaware, three accidents in two miles.
I got off at junction 38 and made my way towards Kirby Stephen in the snow that was falling, when I got to the big hill road that takes you there it was just white, many cars were trying it and failing. I got out of the car to chat with other drivers at the foot of the hill as cars were giving up trying, many were newer cars with better spec, I told the guy in the van in front of me I was going up it...The 75 climbed that hill where others could not and it was incredible, Denise took a picture of me chatting to the other drivers just before we did it. If you know that road you know how steep it is and for how far it rises, I was really proud of the car.
I've put some pictures on of the roads, the 75 was a star and I'm sure it shocked some of the other drivers with how it handled those conditions as a big car.
The trip was worth it, my central heating is now hot and my ears are cooling down!

Last edited by Saga Lout; 10th December 2015 at 12:46..
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 19:11   #2
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

Horrible driving conditions there, Sir! Very well driven, coping with those hazards. I'm always impressed by how well 75s handle the poor weather. Decent tyres, and some common sense get you a long way!
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 19:14   #3
Gemsathome
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Unbelievable weather, we're so lucky down South that it's not snowing at all. Fantastic your motor took it in her stride, lucky to have that wider track and heavier body, so much more predictable than these euro soap boxes!!!
Gemsathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 19:14   #4
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I got stuck in a side street yesterday in the XF and thought the 75 would have made it up that little hill.
But then a Peugeot came along and didn't even get as far as me in the Jag.

I had to borrow a shovel to get some grit from a nearby pavement box and we were both on our way.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 19:57   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I'm always amazed at how fast people drive in the snow. Best bit is you got there safe and sound. last picture shows you had quite a journey
was it last year in the daily mail there was a photo of a 75 towing a caravan out on a snow covered road?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 20:11   #6
M74
Loves to post

2 x 75 Saloons + MG ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I did the trip today from Wigan to Chester Le Street in Co Durham, the journey was a long one due to the weather and Accidents. I got to junction 35 and the southbound side was blocked with many crumpled cars. I got a half mile and Northbound was stopped for a car in the centre barrier, the lady driver was out and looked OK but her car was facing the wrong way. I got past that and hit another roadblock, the Police were putting cones out as the third lane was damaged, it was a BMW that looked like a 5 series on the hard shoulder, it had bounced off the centre barrier and it's possible it ended up on the hard shoulder, the front was crushed up to the bulkhead and I hope the driver was OK, it looked very bad. The conditions were below freezing at that point and possibly took drivers unaware, three accidents in two miles.
I got off at junction 38 and made my way towards Kirby Stephen in the snow that was falling, when I got to the big hill road that takes you there it was just white, many cars were trying it and failing. I got out of the car to chat with other drivers at the foot of the hill as cars were giving up trying, many were newer cars with better spec, I told the guy in the van in front of me I was going up it...The 75 climbed that hill where others could not and it was incredible, Denise took a picture of me chatting to the other drivers just before we did it. If you know that road you know how steep it is and for how far it rises, I was really proud of the car.
I've put some pictures on of the roads, the 75 was a star and I'm sure it shocked some of the other drivers with how it handled those conditions as a big car.
The trip was worth it, my central heating is now hot and my ears are cooling down!
That's amazing, I came past junction 38 at about 3:15 and there was no snow at all. What time was it when you where there?

If it ain't broke take it apart to find out why it still works.

M74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 20:18   #7
FlashHarry
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur 2.0 CDT Manual

What tyres have you got on Saga Lout?
FlashHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 20:28   #8
FREDPLY
Avid contributor

club touring

Default What a trip, what a car!

Impressive perhaps foolhardy what if you got stuck halfway --more pressure on our emergency services. Glad you were ok
FREDPLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 20:35   #9
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

We all have a different perception of our abilities and I think the OP was correct, with his knowledge of his car.
What it does also is cause others to criticize those who accomplish the move, regardless of the outcome, because some are not capable or confident.
Nice one.

I was always advised from start on such conditions, second gear and steady.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 20:58   #10
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemsathome View Post
Unbelievable weather, we're so lucky down South that it's not snowing at all. Fantastic your motor took it in her stride, lucky to have that wider track and heavier body, so much more predictable than these euro soap boxes!!!
Totally agree, we in Sunny Surrey are lucky at the moment. Mind you I'd like a little snow as so far I've never tested a 75 in snow. Likie to compare my 75 with my best ever snowmobile, an Austin L*** C***.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote