Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th October 2019, 14:04   #1
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default Ozone

An old acquaintance appeared again today. Remember our fascination with that Hole in the Ozone layer near the South Pole in 1985?

Well, NASA reports they have been keeping a watch for us since they discovered it. They say it is now the smallest it has been since the discovery. (I page 3).

So who can say when it started or therefore the rate of reduction? They say it is not due to their fears about the use of chlorinated chemicals, oh no, they wouldn’t would they, but rather freakishly warm weather. Surprise! Surprise!

So, all that chlorine washed chicken hasn’t brought about Armageddon then. Are we still so sure about the latest panic and its origins or is there a pattern in the regular changes of opinion?
Old 25th October 2019, 15:59   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
An old acquaintance appeared again today. Remember our fascination with that Hole in the Ozone layer near the South Pole in 1985?

Well, NASA reports they have been keeping a watch for us since they discovered it. They say it is now the smallest it has been since the discovery. (I page 3).

So who can say when it started or therefore the rate of reduction? They say it is not due to their fears about the use of chlorinated chemicals, oh no, they wouldn’t would they, but rather freakishly warm weather. Surprise! Surprise!

So, all that chlorine washed chicken hasn’t brought about Armageddon then. Are we still so sure about the latest panic and its origins or is there a pattern in the regular changes of opinion?
Now I’m going to sound like my Grandad!!. - but in my day we had the Cuban missile crisis and maybe I’m looking at the past with rose tinted spectacles but that threat to the planet was very real, worrying and credible.

Since then each generation after mine has tried to find some sort of Global threat that they can hide behind and scare themselves sheetless over. Apparently it’s an evolution thing. One type of person survived historically by being more powerful whilst another type of person survived by being scared of everything and running like he11.

So finding something to be scared of is a desire with some to the disdain of others.

So far we have had the DDT scare that is now thought to have killed millions due to it being withdrawn and so the Malaria parasite was able to thrive.

Then we had Global Cooling which died a death as it actually got warmer.

Then we were all going to die of radiation via depletion of the ozone layer.

After that Margaret Thatcher put Global Warming on the agenda in her war on coal and coal miners.

There was a silly dalliance with the “Ban the urban 4x4” which disappeared as soon as we suffered a snowy winter (something that Global Warming was not supposed to allow!!!)

But with 20 odd years of temperatures flatly refusing to rise to anywhere near predicted levels - it morphed into Climate Change.

Now we have idiots sitting on top of electric tube trains and unceremoniously being thrown off such is their credibility with Londoners.

It’s all part of life’s rich tapestry.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 17:48   #3
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Got nuffing to get worried about these kids, Im still try to workout at what range a 3.5 rocket launcher can be sure a knocking out a T34(85) orT54A with any certainty or how fast I could run if it was a Joseph Stalin. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 12:42   #4
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

These are manufactured crises usually by interested organisations so attention can be divided and directed away from troublesome opinion.

Example: I read today that Amazon has offered for sale a book for children that tells a story about the alleged fallacy that compulsory MRR vaccination in schools is not only somewhat ineffective but also dangerous.

Now the state sponsored evangelists are releasing the attack dogs on Amazon for their 'heresy'. Big Pharma at it again? Or does my 76 years of listening to cobblers have little or no benefit?

It seems almost every week popular reluctance by the public to comply with controlling regulation is being mysteriously sanctioned.