Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th September 2019, 22:52   #11
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Just found a chart that gives CO2 emissions by country, China was 27.4% and the UK stands at 1.1%.

Strange there were no climate change protests in China.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 06:00   #12
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

For those who don't use IMDB the page for Greta Thurnberg has her as a voice actress (once) for a short film under production.
As herself 17 times on such things as ITN and Good Morning Britain. Archive footage 9 times again on Good Morning Britain and such like.
The Miscellaneous Crew 'representing' her refer again to ITN.

There are two quotes given, one from her recent UN speech and another one about educating politicians. I don't know ( or care ) who produces IMDB but I would imagine more quotes will be attributed to her.

Like her or loathe her - things will have to change

Last edited by Simondi; 25th September 2019 at 06:06..
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 08:55   #13
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

One thing is for sure, whatever anyone thinks about her is that she is getting an awful lot of attention and coverage. Can't help but heighten awareness of the subject
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 08:57   #14
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

I for one, really don't appreciate the vitriol that the current protestations, mainly from teens/early 20's that my generation destroyed the environment
Our milk came in glass bottles, rinsed and returned, not throwaway plastic bottles.
We returned our glass bottles , especially lemonade, and all our soft drinks, Coca-Cola etc came in glass bottles, not throwaway plastic.
Our sweets came in paper bags, as did a lot of our groceries.
Our fish and chips came wrapped in newspaper, not throwaway polyestyrene containers. Pizza and burger boxes weren't an issue, we didn't have them.
We walked to school and back...in all weathers, not in Mummy's 4x4.

So maybe they should think of who is having the greatest impact on the environment. Perhaps starting with helping to clear the mountain of plastic waste they leave after their rally's, and protest marches.

Hypocrites.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 09:54   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
I for one, really don't appreciate the vitriol that the current protestations, mainly from teens/early 20's that my generation destroyed the environment
Our milk came in glass bottles, rinsed and returned, not throwaway plastic bottles.
We returned our glass bottles , especially lemonade, and all our soft drinks, Coca-Cola etc came in glass bottles, not throwaway plastic.
Our sweets came in paper bags, as did a lot of our groceries.
Our fish and chips came wrapped in newspaper, not throwaway polyestyrene containers. Pizza and burger boxes weren't an issue, we didn't have them.
We walked to school and back...in all weathers, not in Mummy's 4x4.

So maybe they should think of who is having the greatest impact on the environment. Perhaps starting with helping to clear the mountain of plastic waste they leave after their rally's, and protest marches.

Hypocrites.
but did we not grow up and start to drive the 4x4, use plastic bottles to excess and order our pizzas and burgers in a polystyrene box
The children of yesterday are todays adults.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 13:44   #16
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I can remember sustainably recycling glass jam jars in 1948. Yes, as children we climbed over the Rag 'n Bone man's wall (Old Swan, Liverpool, don't suppose it's there now) to rescue a bag-full from his salvage pile then go in the front for the penny back on each of them. Sustainably? Oh yes. You could do it over and over again.
Old 25th September 2019, 14:04   #17
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

OH yes! Far from Liverpool though, possibly Lytham?
Old 2nd October 2019, 05:10   #18
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Many find Greta's performance cringe worthy. She is obviously a troubled young person. She should receive help, not dish out panic to easily influenced other youngsters.
What has the world come to, if immature insecure and troubled youths start setting the agenda? Total madness.
She is a front of the climate change crowd, which again is driven by some of the richest people on this earth. They are rich, and the tend to stay that way, by imposing taxes and regulations benefiting their interests at our expense.
It is easy to preach to the peasants from the comfort of your tax deductible air conditioned private jet. It is easy to pay and sway politicians to introduce laws that will serve their purpose, especially if you can panic their voters into agreement.
Nobody wondered how she got so much exposure in the media? Up for a Nobel prize? You must be joking.!
She is right, she should be in school.
This hysteria started with "global cooling" when indeed temperatures dropped, then we got higher temperatures and they switched to "global warming" and now, just to be on the safe side, it is "climate change", covering all eventualities. And yet climate always has, and always will, change. Everything moves in cycles.
Do humans affect the climate? Well, let's put it this way, the total human consumption of energy per year! equals the total influx of energy from the sun in one hour!
Climate change is becoming a new religion, with everything that implies in terms of group pressure, blind faith, repression and lack of science.
The Spanish Inquisition could become an apt analogy.

And yet there are so many pressing issues that could do with our attention.

Greta is an exponent of Swedish society in general, which seems fully intent on committing collective suicide. A remarkable achievement for a country that was once vikings.

In years to come, we might well start measuring insanity in Thunbergs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8455KEDitpU

Last edited by kaiser; 2nd October 2019 at 05:12..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 14:14   #19
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 15:47   #20
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Given that 32% of the world's population has been born this century (yes, from 2000), I hardly think the young have the right to lecture we oldies!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote