Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st September 2019, 21:45   #31
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

I must admit today when the wife picked me up in the Rover 75 Tourer , I watched it come up to me on a dirt track road where i was at that time a mates yard and it looked fantastic!! and the sweetest thing i was talking to my buddy and my dad out of shot " and this is when you know, you know, a car" I said thats the sound of a Rover 75 car CDT....50 seconds later and 60 yards away there she came, not a tractor noise just the M47 CDT engine type sound... My mate was amazed!!
He said i could barely hear that engine and you heard and knew what type...I said having owned that particular Rover 75 for 17 years, its NOT a car

It's part of the family and her name is OLDE FAITHFUL!

He just said that car looks amazing when the copperleaf paint gleamed and the Tourer came up the dirt track to pick me up, with the serpents 17 inch wheels also looking good against the chrome and the metallic paintwork ! in the Sun which was 74F lovely.
a wonderful car, and i did generally think to myself "That Shape can still cut it" 313000 miles of wear and tear and you can barely notice any wear on that car. FANTASTIC BRITISH ENGINEERING.

Last edited by Olde faithful; 21st September 2019 at 21:51..
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 22:22   #32
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
313000 miles of wear and tear and you can barely notice any wear on that car. FANTASTIC BRITISH, AUSTRIAN and GERMAN ENGINEERING.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 23:05   #33
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
LOL YEAP......But built in BIRRRRRRRMINGHAMMMMM
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 18:48   #34
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Well, following up my previous post, drove the 75 CDTi Conn Tourer to work at Bishop Auckland yesterday, about 78 mile round trip. Lovely. on the way home pulled off the A19, onto the B1365. Steering seems to have gone heavy..................
No power steering.
Battery symbol comes up on the screen.

Arrive at garage with sore shoulders and................

Water pump collapsed, belt drive covered in water, slipped off and hence no alternator or power steering.

Get it back tomorrow or Thursday and still got the HPFP to fix.

Won't tell Linda until we've had a nice ride out over the weekend.

JohnnyBG
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 20:06   #35
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Owning a 75 or a ZT is a breeze when compared to owning a MGF or TF, I cant get anyone to work on my TF, it only needs a rear upper arm replacing.

I thought the ZT was difficult to get fixed, but these F's scare the hell out of garage mechanics, they'd rather turn down the money than work on these cars, it seems
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 20:55   #36
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I have had the same from the guy who looks after my ZTT. I broached the subject of the F / TF as I thought it might be fun and his reaction was “Don’t bring it here!”.

“Problems?” I asked - and he replied that they have fixed them but they don’t “stay fixed” and they end up keep doing the same job.

He was honest and said “Maybe we do it wrong - but we don’t have that issue with other cars”

He said if you want a nice sports car buy a Spares or Repair Merc SLK with gearbox issues - 9 times out of 10 it’s an easy fix.

Most often a filter and fluid flush and change sorts it.

And I’ve looked - they’re really cheap!!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 21:20   #37
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
I have had the same from the guy who looks after my ZTT. I broached the subject of the F / TF as I thought it might be fun and his reaction was “Don’t bring it here!”.

“Problems?” I asked - and he replied that they have fixed them but they don’t “stay fixed” and they end up keep doing the same job.

He was honest and said “Maybe we do it wrong - but we don’t have that issue with other cars”

He said if you want a nice sports car buy a Spares or Repair Merc SLK with gearbox issues - 9 times out of 10 it’s an easy fix.

Most often a filter and fluid flush and change sorts it.

And I’ve looked - they’re really cheap!!

This will be the first job my TF has needed in over a year Clive, its developed a slight knock when pulling away from stationary, its either the lower engine mount or the small upper rear arm on the N/S, not a big job.

But these mechanics just see the badge and think the worst, the MGR stigma is still fresh in everyone's mind it seems.

As for SLK's, apart from gearboxes made of jelly, they have awful looking front and rear lights...
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 03:33   #38
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
This will be the first job my TF has needed in over a year Clive, its developed a slight knock when pulling away from stationary, its either the lower engine mount or the small upper rear arm on the N/S, not a big job.

But these mechanics just see the badge and think the worst, the MGR stigma is still fresh in everyone's mind it seems.

As for SLK's, apart from gearboxes made of jelly, they have awful looking front and rear lights...
I like both marques Wes - but I doubt we will ever get another 2 seater now (decades ago we had a Triumph GT6 ) seeing as we have two dogs one of which is a large breed. So I’m more likely to consider a ML than an SLK. It was the reaction to my enquiry about the F /TF that surprised me because he is always complimentary about the ZTT.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2019, 06:10   #39
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

There can be many reasons for your knock in the MG. But they are often easy fixes.
Check the tightness of all bolts would be my first step.! You could even have lost one!
And no, they are not difficult to fix!
Just difficult!
Old 25th September 2019, 09:11   #40
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Well it you think running a 75/ZT is hard you should try a Rover 800! I've spent the last 4 weeks trying to source parts for mine and I'm still yet to find some of them, looks like I'm going to have to pay a local engineering firm to fabricate them........that won't be cheap!

I think we have to accept now that all Rovers / MG's are now old enough that they're no longer daily drivers and we need to start thinking of them as classics. I have run classic cars as daily drivers in the past, my 1975 MGB GT V8 did my daily commute for well over a year for instance, and whilst it's nice to have a car with character the increased time effort and cost you have to put into keeping it on the road eventually wear you down. I'm running new cars now and whilst they cost more in some ways I don't have to worry about repairs or parts which is nice and in addition I don't have to go through the ritual of checking levels etc before going on long journey. In fact in just over a year I've only lifted the bonnet on the Volvo once and that was to top up the washers! We actually replaced Mrs Guru's older car with a brand new lease car when I put the cost of all the repairs and maintenance over a year into a spreadsheet and realised that she could have a brand new car for less money!

Older cars have their place and I love them hence spending so much time and money on my Sterling however I think it's also important to set your expectations accordingly.