Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st September 2019, 03:00   #21
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarDonaldBalls View Post
That's the plan I have for mine, a previous owner has stripped the black coating off so it looks chrome but I think I want it black again.

I used plastidip on the trim at the bottom of the side windows on my old ZS that had the same issue with the black coating peeling (think it had some replacement doors at some point from an old 400 or civic)

you couldn't tell it wasn't the original finish, it's really easy to do, you don't even have to mask it up very well as any over spray will just peel off so can be done without removing the trim from the car.

There are thousands of videos on youtube of people using plastidip on their badges and wheels, even whole cars. the process is exactly the same.

Here's a handy example
Now that is a REALLY great link! - many thanks. I have never used plastidip before. I amazed at how the stuff peels off the paintwork leaving such a clean line.

Brilliant!! Thanks again.

As for my cdti ZTT - 147k Miles - just sailed through the MOT. Took it off the road for a few months when I realised the brake pipes needed replacing (watch/check where they bend up under the rear wheel arch) so did that, fitted the a/c condenser and replaced the fan so I now have ice cold air/con if I want! (Just as summer ends )

But this car costs me peanuts to run and is a great drive for a car that is 16 years old. And in Trophy Blue when she is all polished up I do get people stopping to admire her and have a chat.

Of late, as well as the above I have had to replace the exhaust back box and the alternator. All sourced inexpensively on here.

But compared to my old Land Rovers the ZTT is cheap as chips to run, does not smoke, sails through MOT’s, can carry more “stuff” in its prodigious load area and returns a whisker under 50mpg.

And most important of all - it puts a smile on my face when I look at it and a grin when I drive it.

And I drive mine a lot. Maybe that is the key
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 03:16   #22
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john116 View Post
As a new owner, I now have a car that cost AUD$70,000 when new, nearly 20 years ago. Nearly AUD$100k in today's money. It's only done 57,000 kms and looks new. I paid AUD$6000 for it, but consider that still to be cheap, unless I go shopping for one in the UK.

High end cars have never been cheap to maintain, and I'm still amazed (at least for now), the still huge number of spares available, and available very cheaply. So for the moment, no issue there.

If find the general depressed mood on this forum interesting, as I thought there would be so much more positivity about these cars. Not how much they cost to keep going, getting stressed about having to find parts (Really?!!!), and so on and so on.

If, as a club we actually worked together in a good way, and with some investment, between us all we could do amazing things to keep these amazing British cars on the road for at least another 20 years.
A few years back my niece married an Aussie in Brisbane and we then drove down to Sydney (via the Hunter Valley as I had to visit the place that grows the stuff I can’t stop drinking! ) We had a great time and I remember well sitting at Mrs Macquarie’s Point pondering the fact that the Opera House isn’t white.

We met really positive, helpful people.

In contrast, “the whinging pom” does exist.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 08:59   #23
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

I always budget £1300 per year on the Rover 75 and share that by a number 12 ( one year) gives me a monthly cost figure and add £400 for unexpected, if you think thats dear its not.....nothing per month, and those gators the gent mentioned mine only ever had one set its 17 years old , so not sure whats going on there? also smokers my car has 313000 miles on the clock i can rev the engine to nearly 6000 revs- zero smoke never been a smoker? are you leaving the engine on tickover because its off the road smoking up the breather pipe and EGR valves? may be, mine never smokes ever and never has? even under heavy load. only £141 per month you cant get loo rolls for a car like the Rover 75 for that on a monthly budget, I have just bought a brand Jaguar new XJ as a teat, and moving forward yes that car will get more use, however when i look at the cost of that Jaguar XJ in comparison! the Rover 75 beats it hands down on costs even if it develops a fault.

i hope that helps
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 10:33   #24
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Latest pain in the rear is rear screen finisher on the ZT.
If it's any consolation Ross, my rear screen side finisher has gone too. The bottom right corner has 'popped up' and collides with the boot lid. And the rubber edging (mine's chrome effect) has gone brittle and is falling off.

I bought two new ones, one from the UK and one from China. I haven't tried either of them yet, mainly because I anticipate a major battle with the clips.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 19:08   #25
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Got my 75 CDTi Tourer 2004 with just under 90k on about 6 - 7 years ago. It was lovely. ran it up to 160k and needed a High Pressure Diesel pump fixing. Went into friends garage compound for 18 months. Couldn't let it rot. Got it back yesterday, still not fixed pump, at a cost of £1k new disks, pipes stacks of stuff. Had a smile as wide as the River Tees.

Lots of other little things to do after I strip the pump off and slot another on myself (thanks to all the advice here).

Johnny BG
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 20:11   #26
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Accounting for low purchase price, lack of depreciation and running costs (if you do most of the maint yourself), 75s / ZTs are cheap motoring, I think. Especially considering the standard of ride etc.

However, all cars pass the point when they become too much trouble. Where that point is varies between owners. For some its three years; when they have to suffer the indignity of an MOT every year...
Old 21st September 2019, 20:16   #27
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Im mentally worn out and exhausted with just having so many things constantly on my mind. It feels like I am constantly thinking about the ***** car and what needs done. Now its come to a point where I am looking back and realising its actually affected my mental health and state of mind.

I can't go on anymore with the spares situation, I dont want to be running about in a car with badly fitting trim, worried about what is going to break next, and poisoning myself on the fumes.
Well my advice is get rid of it pronto and find a something you are happy with.

These cars don't suit everybody, there are plenty of alternatives out there, and it really isn't worth letting any collection of metal and plastic on wheels get under your skin.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 20:40   #28
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBG View Post
Got my 75 CDTi Tourer 2004 with just under 90k on about 6 - 7 years ago. It was lovely. ran it up to 160k and needed a High Pressure Diesel pump fixing. Went into friends garage compound for 18 months. Couldn't let it rot. Got it back yesterday, still not fixed pump, at a cost of £1k new disks, pipes stacks of stuff. Had a smile as wide as the River Tees.

Lots of other little things to do after I strip the pump off and slot another on myself (thanks to all the advice here).

Johnny BG
Good to see another 75 in Teesside 👍👍
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 20:45   #29
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

My 04 diesel has been very reliable since bought 18mths ago. Now on 80k miles. I could be saying it has cost a fortune and breaks down all the time. It's a car, and same makes differ regarding reliability. We have to choose carefully, look at history, mileage, condition, previous owners, and then just hope we've bought a good one. If it starts to become expensive....it goes, love the 75 but love myself more.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 20:48   #30
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Returning to my Copperleaf that was parked beneath a streetlight tonight, I don't know if it was how the light shone upon it, but the car looked so shiny, the paint colour beautiful, and the scene quite lovely.

Our cars are so very special.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote