Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th December 2014, 14:53   #11
wmj
Regular poster

MG ZT diesel auto

Living in a rural part of Scotland I use winter tyres and swear by them. They not only out perform summer tyres with grip and braking at tempratures below 7 degrees, they also grip on Snow and Ice much better. The snipes cut into winter tyres give much better traction, even on sheet ice. There are some interesting videos on YouTube that compare winter vs summer on sheet ice and it is amazing the diffirence between both.
wmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 15:07   #12
d_a_n1979
Banned

2004 MG ZT-T 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj View Post
Living in a rural part of Scotland I use winter tyres and swear by them. They not only out perform summer tyres with grip and braking at tempratures below 7 degrees, they also grip on Snow and Ice much better. The snipes cut into winter tyres give much better traction, even on sheet ice. There are some interesting videos on YouTube that compare winter vs summer on sheet ice and it is amazing the diffirence between both.
I think anyone living rurally should fit winter tyres; being in the middle of nowhere and where weather can change drastically; it's a no brainer!
d_a_n1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 15:13   #13
ROBBIE G
Posted a thing or two

75 saloon 1.8 classic

Dan if the weathers that bad that I need winter tyres to be safe id rather leave the car on the drive, no doubt winter tyres are good at what they do but no tyre as a guaranteed grip on black ice etc, best to leave the car at home,
Old 16th December 2014, 15:33   #14
d_a_n1979
Banned

2004 MG ZT-T 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBBIE G View Post
Dan if the weathers that bad that I need winter tyres to be safe id rather leave the car on the drive, no doubt winter tyres are good at what they do but no tyre as a guaranteed grip on black ice etc, best to leave the car at home,
We're not safe on black ice...

Even farting around with crampons on in 2010 I still fell over and crushed my ar$e haha
d_a_n1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 15:37   #15
ROBBIE G
Posted a thing or two

75 saloon 1.8 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_a_n1979 View Post
We're not safe on black ice...

Even farting around with crampons on in 2010 I still fell over and crushed my ar$e haha
Im walking like an OAP at the mo with this trapped nerve I have im dreading a fall on my **** in the snow I think that might just about set of my torrettes syndrome I don't have
Old 16th December 2014, 15:54   #16
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

I was debating a set but it would be the missus driving on them to get to work 9-10 miles away. her comment was 'I'm not driving if it's snowing anyway mate and your not putting the kids in the car to take me and double up the journeys so don't bother'..

Well that's a few quid saved then. Any days she can't get in she can use up the holiday she's owed, got to take 22 days before end of March and she's already got a week in Jan & Feb booked off!!

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 16:12   #17
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

If funds allow, from my personal experience I recommend winter tyres. I bought a set of Continental winter tyres from Kwik Fit ( I normally steer clear of KF but my independent tyre place wasn't stocking them at the time ) when we had significant snowfall (for SE England) four years ago; the difference between normal and winter tyres was significant. As a previous poster said they are not just for snow they are for temps below 7c. I bought a set of secondhand crowns to fit them on and also love the shape of the generally unwanted crowns, I just wish they had done them in 16"
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 19:19   #18
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

If there is any doubt over the advantage of winter tyres, then see here:

Winter tyres vs 4x4 - snow tyre test - autocar.co.uk - YouTube

Here

RWD and winter tyres VS 4WD and summer tyres on snow - YouTube

And here

Winter Tyres v Summer Tyres: the Truth! - Auto Express - YouTube
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 19:32   #19
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

lol i was just about to post up a couple of those clips Borg

winter tyres arent just for snow
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 20:02   #20
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Was checking on LandyZone how good Grabber GT's are on the Hippo. The Beemer(?) looked impressive in the second video I thought?

Will stick with the Hippo though. A few years ago whilst driving from Halesowen in the west Mids up to the other side of Oswestry in my Hippo TD4, PMSL in Dudley following a big Merc trying to get up some of Dudley's hills. Just looked down at him fishtailing as I glided passed. A little later on in Himley engaged the HDC and coolly let the car take the strain going down hill. As I neared home overtook a snow plough; he simply followed my lead.

Bring on the snow I say.

Agree not just the snow though.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote