Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st May 2014, 09:07   #1
steveandjanes75
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi connoisseur

Default 75 CDTi shocks

Hi guys, This is my first post on here, having just bought our 75 cdti se connoisseur. Its 2004, 117000mls.

Came with service book stamped every year since new, bodywork very good, inside spotless, looks well looked after. But we bid and purchased it at a car auction, so expected we may a problem or two, even though it had a full years MOT having just been done 2 days prior to auction and NO ADVISORIES.
shown.

Well as soon as we drove it away we had a knocking and the steering was bit wandery.

Got it on a lift and found that the MOT guy needs to go to specsavers.

N/S/F shock needs replacing
Both wishbone rear bushes completely knackered
O/S tie rod needs to be replaced.
The knocking is top Drivers side engine mount, the hydramount.

I am no mechanic but I plan to sort those things out.

My priority is the steering, although it does not feel bad, I hate the thought of it not being A1

I have a couple of Q?

Shocks. Do I replace both fronts for new, or fit a single second hand one? If I go for replacing both front shocks for new, and I am tempted, are there good and not so good shocks on the market?

Although I cannot see wear on the lower engine mounts, I do wonder if the excessive engine movement at the hydramount (I do not know how long its been driven with this knock, knock, knock, it may have been for some time) would have been bad on the rubber bushing on the other mounts and I will be needing to replace them as well soon. I see I can get polybush engine mount replacements and while I am at it i can get a bush kit for the suspension and do the lot.

We actually only went to auction for a little hatchback type run around for temporary use while our other car is being repaired.
BUT, my wife Jane has fallen in love with this 75 se connoisseur, even though its 10 year old, she cant think of any reason she would want to change it, especially as we could never afford a new car of this spec.
I don't know cars, I just drive them, but now I have done a bit of looking into the 75 CDTi and realized it has a BMW lump does 40ish mpg I am also very muck looking forward to keeping it. And I have saved some dosh!

Therefore, in your opinion would it make a much better car/ride if I replace all suspension and steering bushes, or am I just throwing money at it unnecessarily and only replace what I know has failed, and replace other items as and when it comes to light or picked up at MOT.

Thanks Steve.

Last edited by steveandjanes75; 21st May 2014 at 09:40..
steveandjanes75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 10:20   #2
wmj
Regular poster

MG ZT diesel auto

You will need to do both front shocks and as far as I am aware there are no aftermarket sets available for the diesel. Done mine last year and they were around £80 each from Rimmer Bros. When you do them make sure you get the springs, drop links and strut bearings replaced at the same time. The rubber stops on the strut had disintegrated on mine as well so it might be worth ordering all the strut components. The job itself is pretty straight forward in theory and there are "how to's" with pics on the forum. The biggest problem is the bolt that runs through the strut carrier on the hub. If it's not been touched for years it can be a real ****** to get out. Plenty penetrating fluid and or heat plus a good quality breaker bar with an impact socket done the trick on mine but it was a lot of effort. Make sure you have good quality spring compressors as well for the heavy duty springs. It,s a good few hours job if everything comes off as it should but can take a lot longer if you have seized bolts.

Last edited by wmj; 21st May 2014 at 10:23..
wmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 10:44   #3
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

A common fault on the diesels is not the hydramount, but the lower engine mount.

It is a very easy fix - there is a how-to.

The problem is which mount to use as a replacement - there is much discussion on the forum about using the OEM at about £70-80 or simply fitting a yellow Powerflex bush for £25. Opinion is divided.

The 'looseness' in the steering is most like play in the rear wishbone bushes and I would not take any further action with this until the suspension repairs are complete.

There are other things that you should check as well - see the forum. Chief among these are the plenum and fan operation

Lastly, you must report the MoT tester/garage to VOSA. For someone who is not mechanically aware, the faults you described that have been missed could prove to be fatal.

Last edited by berkshirelad; 21st May 2014 at 10:48..
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 10:46   #4
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandjanes75 View Post

BUT, my wife Jane has fallen in love with this 75 se connoisseur, even though its 10 year old, she cant think of any reason she would want to change it, especially as we could never afford a new car of this spec.
Obviously a lady of refined good taste
Old 21st May 2014, 11:21   #5
wmj
Regular poster

MG ZT diesel auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelad View Post
A common fault on the diesels is not the hydramount, but the lower engine mount.

It is a very easy fix - there is a how-to.

The problem is which mount to use as a replacement - there is much discussion on the forum about using the OEM at about £70-80 or simply fitting a yellow Powerflex bush for £25. Opinion is divided.

The 'looseness' in the steering is most like play in the rear wishbone bushes and I would not take any further action with this until the suspension repairs are complete.

There are other things that you should check as well - see the forum. Chief among these are the plenum and fan operation

Lastly, you must report the MoT tester/garage to VOSA. For someone who is not mechanically aware, the faults you described that have been missed could prove to be fatal.
Another option is the easily modified lower mount from a Mk3 Mondeo which is almost identical and usually a good, cheap buy from a scrapyard or Ebay. The Mondeo mount is a better design and doesn't fail in the same way as the Rover mount, so usually perfectly ok second hand. Also a "how to" on the forum.

Tie rods are available aftermarket, cheap and easily picked up at most motor factors

Last edited by wmj; 21st May 2014 at 11:29..
wmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 11:27   #6
ukmastiff
Gets stuck in

2003 ZT-T CDTI '+' a ZT

I know we all like our car to pass and maybe given the benefit of the doubt re non dangerous faults but if it is as you describe that's more than a poor mot tester !

I would definitely speek to vosa who may be more interested than you think. They can check the mot history too (as can you) online. I'll bet that gives a huge clue what may have gone on here. You have a few Bob to spend , I'm glad you are still keen on your car

Mas
Old 21st May 2014, 12:50   #7
steveandjanes75
Regular poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelad View Post
Obviously a lady of refined good taste
She married me.
Old 21st May 2014, 12:55   #8
steveandjanes75
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmastiff View Post
I know we all like our car to pass and maybe given the benefit of the doubt re non dangerous faults but if it is as you describe that's more than a poor mot tester !

I would definitely speek to vosa who may be more interested than you think. They can check the mot history too (as can you) online. I'll bet that gives a huge clue what may have gone on here. You have a few Bob to spend , I'm glad you are still keen on your car

Mas
Already spoken to Vosa. They were interested. I am awaiting a call from a vehicle examiner. They asked if i had already carried out the repairs, and as I hadn't, they are keen to come out to inspect it. I will update on a new thread as to what happens.
Old 21st May 2014, 12:58   #9
steveandjanes75
Regular poster

Thanks for that info.
Old 21st May 2014, 13:03   #10
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandjanes75 View Post
She married me.
Everybody makes mistakes

As the Dalek said climbing off a dustbin...