Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th April 2014, 21:54   #11
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Don't take this as gospel, but I was always under the impression that if it's the other party at fault, then you can dig your heels in and demand that the vehicle be repaired, rather than written off ?

Although obviously even this will have it's limits (e.g. needing a new shell for a 75 could prove difficult...)

Might be worth looking into the legal situation before you accept any offers.
Sonic ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 13:40   #12
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

So was I, until I tried it. Sadly, that good old word "reasonable" comes into play. If you can purchase a similar car to yours, with similar mileage etc for, say £2K, then the insurance company will consider it unreasonable to pay £2.5k on repairs.

You could, of course, take them to court. I have legal cover with my policy, and when I mentioned this to them, their advice was "Don't - you'll lose"!

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 14:41   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I would have thought that only your own insurance company would I've the ability to call your car a total loss? In effect the other person's policy should be paying out compensation for cost of repair,or having it repaired at their cost.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 15:34   #14
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Interesting point. Not absolutely definite, but I think the position is, if you have Comprehensive cover, your claim is against your own insurer who may at their discretion pass the claim to the 3rd party's insurer for settlement. Sometimes a claim may be settled on a 'knock for knock' basis (this is not what many people think it is and is widely used to good effect).

In the event of the 3rd party insurance company proving difficult, your claim is still against your own insurer because your contract is with them only.
Old 27th April 2014, 17:32   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj View Post
I have posted about this before but in a similar situation we were advised to ask for the car to be returned to us from assessor and for a "cash settlement" in leu of our own repair. Agree on a valuation for the car and ask the insurance company to give you this amount minus a few hundred for the value of the car as they would have sold it for as scrap. Insist on the car not being written off so it's not recorded as a catC on the V5. Argue that the car is only considered a total loss based on the insurance repair valuation rather than it being unsuitable for a safe repair. We had the car returned + a cheque and had a considerable chunk of cash left over after the repair.
I would try this first Mick, lets say an offer of £600 in lieu of repairs, and not recorded on the VCAR register

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 19:48   #16
mickm1
Loves to post

MG ZT & Rover 75 Facelift models in Pearlescent Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I would try this first Mick, lets say an offer of £600 in lieu of repairs, and not recorded on the VCAR register

Brian
this would be the ideal outcome mate. Im at the stage now where i would even be happy with just getting the £260 to repair the damage and i will use the wifes 75 whilst its in bodyshop... not even bothering about a hired car just mine sorted....
mickm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 00:36   #17
wmj
Regular poster

MG ZT diesel auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickm1 View Post
this would be the ideal outcome mate. Im at the stage now where i would even be happy with just getting the £260 to repair the damage and i will use the wifes 75 whilst its in bodyshop... not even bothering about a hired car just mine sorted....
It was really straight forward for us. I didn't realise this was an option until advised by a family member in the accident repair business. The key words when asking the insurance assessor is "cash settlement in leu of own repair". Check auto trader and eBay etc to establish what the going price is to replace your car like for like and argue that this is true valuation of your car, not what the insurance company are valuing it at. Now comes the important bit. Tell the insurance company that you have found a local company that can repair your car and pick a cost figure which sits around a few hundred less than the valuation they agree on your car. Then ask for the car + that figure in cash. Important, don't let them write the Cheque to the repair company because that means irrelevant of the actual repair cost the Repairer will have to deduct VAT on the whole amount before you get any change. Tell the assessor that you are having the repair done by a family friend that has an accident repair shop but they are busy just now so the repairs will be done over the next month or so. Then ask for the cheque to be sent to you so you can pay the repairer as and when it's required.

It's important to remember that your insurance company are there to pay for the repairs to your car. You don't have to accept their own repairer's quote. Unless the car has dangerous structural damage you could actually tell them you are repairing the cosmetic stuff yourself. I was totally honest with the assessor and told him that I would be buying wings and bumpers etc from eBay. He wasn't interested in who was fixing the car he was only interested in keeping the cost to the insurance company below or matching what they would have had to pay us as a total loss.

If you need any more information or help feel free to pm me or post more questions and I will do my best to help.
wmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 10:10   #18
mickm1
Loves to post

MG ZT & Rover 75 Facelift models in Pearlescent Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj View Post
It was really straight forward for us. I didn't realise this was an option until advised by a family member in the accident repair business. The key words when asking the insurance assessor is "cash settlement in leu of own repair". Check auto trader and eBay etc to establish what the going price is to replace your car like for like and argue that this is true valuation of your car, not what the insurance company are valuing it at. Now comes the important bit. Tell the insurance company that you have found a local company that can repair your car and pick a cost figure which sits around a few hundred less than the valuation they agree on your car. Then ask for the car + that figure in cash. Important, don't let them write the Cheque to the repair company because that means irrelevant of the actual repair cost the Repairer will have to deduct VAT on the whole amount before you get any change. Tell the assessor that you are having the repair done by a family friend that has an accident repair shop but they are busy just now so the repairs will be done over the next month or so. Then ask for the cheque to be sent to you so you can pay the repairer as and when it's required.

It's important to remember that your insurance company are there to pay for the repairs to your car. You don't have to accept their own repairer's quote. Unless the car has dangerous structural damage you could actually tell them you are repairing the cosmetic stuff yourself. I was totally honest with the assessor and told him that I would be buying wings and bumpers etc from eBay. He wasn't interested in who was fixing the car he was only interested in keeping the cost to the insurance company below or matching what they would have had to pay us as a total loss.

If you need any more information or help feel free to pm me or post more questions and I will do my best to help.
Very helpful info thanks mate.

I do actually intend getting a wing if i can find one in PBT... anyone looking in who has 1? .... hoping to get the call today actually as its fair dragging out now... IMO of course lol
mickm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 10:17   #19
Mischief
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Here's one being broken may have the bits you need

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=321356853516

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 75's General Information:

• This vehicle was the 49,501st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
  • This vehicle was the 1st 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
  • This vehicle was the 1st 75 in Celestial (Special Metallic) (code: IAI) to be made out of 19 Celestial (Special Metallic) 75s
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 12:00   #20
wmj
Regular poster

MG ZT diesel auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickm1 View Post
Very helpful info thanks mate.

I do actually intend getting a wing if i can find one in PBT... anyone looking in who has 1? .... hoping to get the call today actually as its fair dragging out now... IMO of course lol
I ended up buying a 75 wing for my ZT and the only job I had was painting the chrome trim strip to same colour as wing. Lots of great how to threads on here for wings etc. I would also look at buying a second hand door and fitting it yourself if that's the other thing needing done. Wings and doors in good nick go for between £30-£50 on eBay. To be honest when I bought the colour matched wing for mine it was a perfect paint match due to the fact it had aged like the paint on my car. Unlike the new bumper that I bought which was new with primer on it. When I had it sprayed it was close but not an exact match with the rest of the car. I haven't replaced a door but the wing was an easy job and only took a little fettling to match up panel lines when fitting.
wmj is offline   Reply With Quote