Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2014, 12:47   #1
mickm1
Loves to post

MG ZT & Rover 75 Facelift models in Pearlescent Black

Default another thread about insu wanting to write my ZT off

As you may have seen my other threads about recent bump I would now like a wee bit of info

Phoned insurance as never heard anything and woman confirmed that Parks Group recommend car be written off as not economical to repair... repairs amount to just over £1100.... dying to know what they valu it at!!

anyway awaiting call next week from total loss unit who will go over options. At this stage I have decided they are not taking my car aay.. She did say good chance we can settle and i will get car back to repair myself.
My worst case scenario here is that i will cancel entire claim and repair and means I swallow costs. Quoted at £260 to repair at local panel beaters.
I would however want a new wing as he seems to think can sort it but im not so sure.
anyway, looking for a passenger side wing for 2005 MG ZT in paint code PBT.. I assume a rover 75 wing would also suffice?? Cant see that colour on the bay and would prefer to try get that colour, rather than spray if anyone can help. i will put ad in wanted section also.

thanks in advance

Mick
mickm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 13:01   #2
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

If you buy it back, they should pay you what they value the car at, minus the price you buy it from them, Simple E.G. =

They value it at a £1000, you buy it for £400, you get the car and £600..

Good innit.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 13:06   #3
mickm1
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
If you buy it back, they should pay you what they value the car at, minus the price you buy it from them, Simple E.G. =

They value it at a £1000, you buy it for £400, you get the car and £600..

Good innit.
yes im hoping thats what they do... but if they dont then im prepared to tell them to throw sh1te at the moon cos they are not takig the car when ii can get it repaired for that amount!!
Old 26th April 2014, 13:07   #4
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

James is on the ball I see!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 13:18   #5
Greg
Regular poster

Rover 75

Was in the same situation myself last year after someone decided to ignore a giveway and took out my passenger door.

The insurers repairers (allied vehicles) wanted £3000 to replace the door and paintwork, as you can imagine the insurance wanted to write the car off. I finally settled and bought the car back for £150 and CossieDunc replaced the door, sorted the paintwork and had me back on the road in no time.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 14:56   #6
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Was in the same situation myself last year after someone decided to ignore a giveway and took out my passenger door.

The insurers repairers (allied vehicles) wanted £3000 to replace the door and paintwork, as you can imagine the insurance wanted to write the car off. I finally settled and bought the car back for £150 and CossieDunc replaced the door, sorted the paintwork and had me back on the road in no time.
£3000 for a new door and paint?

Best scenario for OP is to just buy it back as scrap and have a trader sort the bits out.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 15:17   #7
mickm1
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
£3000 for a new door and paint?

Best scenario for OP is to just buy it back as scrap and have a trader sort the bits out.
thats what im hoping mate but also heard that they sometimes dont give you the option to buy back... and if thats the case then im telling them to forget the entire claim and il sort it myself
Old 26th April 2014, 15:25   #8
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

You will be aware that a write-off is considered a 'total loss' in insurance terms. You may not be aware that in cases of 'total loss' your insurance policy may be considered terminated (the insurers having met their obligations under the contract).

If that is the case and you normally pay by direct debit, they will want the balance of the year's premium. In which case you will have to re-insure with a new policy. Your file will be noted as a total loss and may possibly affect your NCD unless that has been covered. That's the doomsday scenario, your insurer may be different. Don't panic, check first before you decide what to do.
Old 26th April 2014, 15:33   #9
mickm1
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
You will be aware that a write-off is considered a 'total loss' in insurance terms. You may not be aware that in cases of 'total loss' your insurance policy may be considered terminated (the insurers having met their obligations under the contract).

If that is the case and you normally pay by direct debit, they will want the balance of the year's premium. In which case you will have to re-insure with a new policy. Your file will be noted as a total loss and may possibly affect your NCD unless that has been covered. That's the doomsday scenario, your insurer may be different. Don't panic, check first before you decide what to do.
paid for the year mate and have protection on my NCD... also wasnt my fault as car was parked and stupid woman hit it so ive been told that wouldnt be affected. Right now i will look for the wing and hopefully get the door fixed by bodyshop. Just a scunner that can get it sorted for a quarter of the price Parks Group have quoted
Old 26th April 2014, 18:04   #10
wmj
Regular poster

MG ZT diesel auto

I have posted about this before but in a similar situation we were advised to ask for the car to be returned to us from assessor and for a "cash settlement" in leu of our own repair. Agree on a valuation for the car and ask the insurance company to give you this amount minus a few hundred for the value of the car as they would have sold it for as scrap. Insist on the car not being written off so it's not recorded as a catC on the V5. Argue that the car is only considered a total loss based on the insurance repair valuation rather than it being unsuitable for a safe repair. We had the car returned + a cheque and had a considerable chunk of cash left over after the repair.
wmj is offline   Reply With Quote