Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th April 2014, 19:16   #61
wmj
Regular poster

MG ZT diesel auto

We had a similar experience when our insurance company tried to write off the car as a total loss. After taking some sound advice we were told to ask the insurance company to return the car to us with a cash settlement in leu of of our own repairs. Without any argument apart from a quibble over the value of the car, the assessor gave us the car back and full valuation minus a few hundred for what they would have received if they sold the car. I also insisted that the car was not recorded as any category write off. My argument was that the car was only uneconomical to repair for the insurance company and had it been within their price range they would not have recorded a cat c. In the end I repaired the car myself and was left with the best part of £2000 in my pocket and my ZT looking better than it did before the accident.

You have too remember it's your car not the insurance companies. They are there to pay for the repairs. That doesn't mean you have to accept their repairers estimates or their opinion on if it should be written off or not.
wmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 19:35   #62
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default Parts

Hi all
Didn't Smc have a full side for next to nothing (selling everything off )
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 19:45   #63
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Hi...

Please PM me your idea of a price, I have a friend who wants a nice one. If it comes this way it will not be broken.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 10:08   #64
PaulE
Regular poster

MG ZT 135+ (04), MG ZT-T (06), Rover 75 (01)

Cheers WMJ,

Sadly, I was under the impression that it was being taken care of at a repairers - I even had a message from the repairer that they had it and was going to carry out the repair. It was an error somewhere, but it ended up at salvage and was all marked up for auction (complete with my belongings in it)!

But I will say that although I ended up having to get another car, the end settlement was satisfactory. It wasn't a money thing to me, it was about having a car I had wanted for a long time and only got to drive for under a year.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 10:09   #65
PaulE
Regular poster

I'll take a look and see what their part costs are like. Cheers Steveo
Old 8th April 2014, 20:57   #66
rover sd1
Avid contributor

blue mg zs mk2 2005 ignition blue and mg zt 1.8 t copperleaf red

Thumbs down

Hi Paul,

Sad to hear of this, It's been a bad week so I lose track of myself sometimes.

So did you get your car back in the end?

If not good luck finding another beauty, I think its because these cars are extremely underrated and this means the insurance companies don't think they matter to people as much.

Soo annoying ( see I have even put a devil there, so yes angry and such )

Many thanks,
Will
rover sd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 00:12   #67
Jumper75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Apparently, My insurer, Octagon, won't let me keep the salvage as it's total loss.

Any ideas on my rights here? Apparently its in their T&C's...
This has happened to me before, more than once. Argue with them that their offer is way too low then tell them ok but you're keeping the car. They know your car is worthless to them and will probably go for it, especially if you're bothering them daily (worked for me anyway).

Failing that, cancel your claim, keep the car and fix it up so it's road legal again and claim from the other party's insurance, assuming you can safely pin the blame on them, but if you were rear ended your chances are high. You don't have to go through your own insurer's claim process, but if you have legal cover your insurers still pay for all your barristers and do most of the work for you.

You need to get value out of these people, they do little enough for the money
Jumper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 09:04   #68
PaulE
Regular poster

Regarding the insurance company, it's all settled now. In the end I did get my car back - it's sitting on my drive at home, and is my property.

Had some bad luck along the way when I found out the garage had lied to me and that it still had finance outstanding from a previous owner! So always do a HPI check regardless of what the garage says.

Thanks for the advice though. I'd definitely not let an insurance company take possession of a car in future, until we had valuations agreed.

As it stands, I'm looking at re-homing the car (or possibly repairing it). In any case, I'd rather know it's going back on the road rather than being torn up for parts.

And you're right rover sd1, the valuations on these cars for insurance were next to nothing - so if you want it, protect it at all costs. As they say - possession is 9/10ths of the law! I was only certain about what was going on when it was delivered back to me.
Old 9th April 2014, 12:29   #69
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Glad you got it back, and also with a reasonable settlement. Can I ask if the insurers admitted liability for the damage caused after accident (whilst in the salvage yard)?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote