Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th November 2013, 14:04   #31
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

You can be the most careful driver in the world but you never know about the other driver. My father was a class 1 police traffic car driver in the '70s, he told me that when he went on the course the first thing drummed into him was that everybody else on the road is an idiot, that way you shouldn't get to many surprises.

I had an experience one evening, on my way home after taking my wife to work, around 7:30pm. I wasn't happy about a silver Golf I was following, it had drifted right over and the nearside wheels were kicking up all the dust and debris in the gutter! I dropped right back, next set of lights the Golf just missed the railings at the approach side of the junction but it didn't miss the ones at the other side! Hit them, spun the car 180° and flipped it onto it's roof! Thankfully nobody else was involved. I gave a statement to Traffic Cop who attended, he reckoned it was drink or drugs. Heard later the young woman driving the Golf was done for drink driving.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 14:26   #32
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

I think defensive driving should be a must to gain advanced driving skills - This is course in South Africa: http://www.topgearsa.co.za/defensive...r-training.htm But I'm sure there are similar ones here.... In SA or Zim it is a must to do if you want to stay alive!
Old 14th November 2013, 14:33   #33
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Haven't done anything out of the ordinary with the car but with the bikes I was a member of both the IAM and ROSPA having passed both their tests. Did that because, frankly, the old bike test (early '80s) was a joke. That was in the days when the examiner stood at a junction and assessed you as you passed him!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 16:57   #34
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

Looks like the o/s front wheel is pushed back.
AURORA MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 17:13   #35
Dantheman
Avid contributor

rover75 2003 2.5V6 Connoisseur Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident, just a quick note that it is your property and no insurance company has the right to take the vehicle away or to have it assessed by their own body shops or engineers for that matter. Speak to a bodyshop that you trust local to yourself and ask them about an independent engineer that can do an assessment for you. You do not have to offer more than one quote for repair and the independent assessor is not going to be looking at shortcuts.. Get some copies of ads to help with valuation if you have any queries with engineers valuation and just in case it is written off.

If your car is not drive able and you have no alternative transport then there may be grounds to get the third party insurance co to supply hire car.. Just be careful about what any paperwork says.. Oh and in the circumstances do not be conned into knock for knock, the TP crossed into your carriageway and appears to be under the influence so testimony from her will be judged as unreliable.
First and foremost - we must always put things into perspective.

Patrolman Pete - shocking to read your post. My sincerest condolences to your friends' family - truly tragic.

As pointed out above, a car is personal property - you have suffered a loss. If that loss in not compensated to your satisfaction, you can go to small claims court and recover damages against the drunk driver. It's a drawn out procedure, which may even involve bailiffs, but it is a remedy you have available should you choose.
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 18:51   #36
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

really sorry to hear you've had a bad day, alas car does loot sorry for its self. as others have said main thing is that your ok even if it does not feel that way.

if you have no injuries, sue her for enough money to have the car repaired

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 20:56   #37
okenora
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn CDT SE + intelligence pack

sorry to see another 75 go, but at least we still have the 75 driver, which is the main thing.

In a no fault accident, like you describe, I think you can insist they repair the car back to the way it was regardless of cost. There are loads of get out clauses for them which will usually result in them only paying market value anyway e.g.

1 - repairing the car would not be safe, due to excessive structural damage.

2 - if the car has no rarity/unique value and a practically identical (to all intents and purposes) can simply be bought in the open market.

Unfortunately I think your car qualifies on both, definitely the second.

You can use the following to argue your case that replacing it is going to be impossible or exceptionally difficult....they still might write it off but may agree a better settlement.

exceptionally low mileage
unusual or high spec
unusual colour for the car (oem colours only)
other oem items that are rare

Last edited by okenora; 14th November 2013 at 21:00..
okenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 23:29   #38
njb
Avid contributor

Connie SE Tourer Automatic

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the advice and tips, particularly on what to expect from the assessor. To be honest I'm not looking forward to that discussion. I'm dealing with my own insurer at the moment, they recoup from other drivers insurer,then I deal the other insurer.

A member here has put me on to what will hopefully be a sound auto diesel tourer on this side of the irish sea, its a club . All I can find locally is a manual 1.8 tourer, a connie though. Looking forward to getting back behind the wheel, I spent 13 years with a Landrover Defender, I've gotten quite used to the luxury of the 75, I can't see myself driving anything else.

The rental car I have has a hideous invention called a manual gearbox automated, I feel like I should have a clown nose wig when I get out of it.

As for my own, I attach a few more images.
The OSF wishbone and both wishbone bushes were replaced last month, along with a UBP.

and the coup de gras

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-11-13 12.47.42.jpg (133.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-11-13 12.47.56.jpg (133.7 KB, 220 views)
On the Chagall; epoxied the intercooler, new Rainsports, new dampers,reseated loose injector,replaced windscreen sensor, new front suspension legs, new MAF, PCV, 4 Pagid discs, cleaned EGR, serviced, new sony head.

To do: refurb injectors, body work, fan, thermostat.
njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 15:02   #39
wmj
Regular poster

MG ZT diesel auto

We were recently hit by a drunk driver, fortunately while parked and with no one in the car. Insurance wanted to write the car off as uneconomical repar estimated at £3100. I decided to visit the damage repair centre and asses the damage myself. It needed front wing, bumper and the wheel was pushed back as a result of a bent lower wishbone and strut.

After getting advice from a local body repair shop we were advised to insist on asking the insurance engineer to give us back the car with a cash settlement in lieu of us carrying out our own repairs. After a short negotation the car was returned by the accident repair centre to our home without being written off and a cheque for £2300 from the insurance company.

The wing and bumper were bought from ebay and both came from colour code matched cars. I repaired all the suspension myself following great advice from this forum and the car is now back on the road in tip top condition for less than £800 total spend.

Admittedly, damage was not as severe as original posters but I will try and post some before and after pictures later showing what can be achieved with a little bit of hard work. We are now going to book a holiday with the insurance cash left over, turning a bad situation in to a happy ending.

I
wmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 16:53   #40
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Excellent result!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote