Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th January 2019, 09:33   #11
Dubya
Loves to post

2005 MG ZT-T+ V6 190

I agree you can't beat a professional quality drill (e.g. DeWalt, Makita, Hitachi etc.). However, you do have to pay handsomely for the privilege.

Last year I needed a new cordless drill, and after a little research settled upon a Worx 20V drill driver, 13mm braked chuck, hammer action, hi-low gearbox with variable speed and (I think 18 but not sure without looking) torque settings, 2 x 4Ah Li-Ion batteries and charger. It came in at a shade over £100 but has proved itself to be very rugged and reliable. The batteries seem to last for ages, I laid an entire 12ft x 8ft deck and the battery in use still showed full!

My main reason for buying a Worx was that I already have one of their corded drills, owned for the last 16 years and is still going strong despite every job I have thrown at it. Plus the batteries it uses can also be used with their other cordless tools, especially their clever little pressure washer that I have my eye on, its my birthday next month so been dropping hints to SWMBO!!!
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 10:46   #12
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

I have a brushless 18v, 2.2ah, 2 batteries (lithium ion) for sale Brand new and boxed £70 inc postage if you're interested. I bought 2 from Screwfix and have never used this one, the other one is identical and is easily the best drill I have ever had.
Old 14th January 2019, 15:17   #13
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbursta View Post
I have a brushless 18v, 2.2ah, 2 batteries (lithium ion) for sale Brand new and boxed £70 inc postage if you're interested. I bought 2 from Screwfix and have never used this one, the other one is identical and is easily the best drill I have ever had.
P Message sent
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 20:41   #14
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

I always choose the type that do not have sealed batteries. when the battery packs in, it is often just one of the small batteries inside the case, replace it for a few pence, and voila, new battery. I have done it several times, a few times I just replaced all 10 for about £6, just need some bridging tabs to solder on.

Last edited by Devilish; 14th January 2019 at 20:44..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 22:07   #15
impvan
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Location: In the trees, near Caernarfon... and frequently Aberdeenshire, and sometimes Romania..

I've repaired far too many other contractors' DeWalt drills to consider one of my own... premature brush wear, broken motor cooling fans, smashed gearboxes. Also find a lot of axial slop, making it hard to use very thin drill bits.

The Makita ones have an issue - google it - whereby the Lithium batteries are programmed to commit suicide after a set number of charges, regardless of condition. No thanks..

I use a Bosch Blue (avoid the green diy stuff) for my daily driver. The only let down is the chuck, which doesn't have enough bite for me, replaced for one with carbide jaw inserts. Drilled thirty 25mm holes in 4" pitch pine beans with a forstner today, and that just about flattened a 2Ah battery.
I'm on only my third Bosch machine since 1989 when I started in the trade. The first one still works, but doesn't hold much charge. The second one still works, but the NiCad batteries are failing and so it's relegated to the holiday place. When I've needed parts, they're cheap and readily available from the likes of MTMC.
impvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 23:16   #16
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Ryobi one+ system for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 09:55   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Strange that no one has mentioned the absolute king of cordless drills - Metabo. They are expensive, but great for the heavy duty jobs and last.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 18:02   #18
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Any recommendations for a brushless Cordless 18v Combi drill under £100.

Would prefer hammer action but not the end of the world if not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Strange that no one has mentioned the absolute king of cordless drills - Metabo. They are expensive, but great for the heavy duty jobs and last.
Metabo are good I have their excellent 1100watt diamond core drill. Probably not mentioned because of the £100 budget above
Quote:
Originally Posted by impvan View Post

The Makita ones have an issue - google it - whereby the Lithium batteries are programmed to commit suicide after a set number of charges, regardless of condition. No thanks..

I use a Bosch Blue (avoid the green diy stuff) for my daily driver. The only let down is the chuck, which doesn't have enough bite for me, replaced for one with carbide jaw inserts. Drilled thirty 25mm holes in 4" pitch pine beans with a forstner today, and that just about flattened a 2Ah battery.
I'm on only my third Bosch machine since 1989 when I started in the trade. The first one still works, but doesn't hold much charge. The second one still works, but the NiCad batteries are failing and so it's relegated to the holiday place. When I've needed parts, they're cheap and readily available from the likes of MTMC.

I've got 3 seven year old 3Ah Makita lithium batteries, 1 still work fine and 2 don't. One of those gave up when my drill jammed drilling a large hole in a timber joist, I believe it over loaded and that was it, it wouldn't charge again, apparently it is set forever in the microchip that controls charging. I have 6 others all working that are between 5 and 2 years old.

I personally would have preferred Bosch but they didn't make an 18v sds drill with chisel function back in 2012 so I went for Makita. About 9 years ago bought a 240volt Bosch sds which came with a free Bosch 12v cordless, both are still going strong. I did mange to find a new NiCad battery a couple years back for it. other than a change of brushes and a new trigger it is still chasing out walls. Amazing really the work it does.

Last edited by Andy_with_a_screwdriver; 15th January 2019 at 18:05..
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 20:57   #19
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I'm a tradesman and have used Ryobi for years. It takes a fair bit of punishment and is very good value for money. It's not as good as DeWalt or Metabo etc etc, but sometimes you just don't need to spend that much.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 11:34   #20
stuartm1962

MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Well I've had a DeWalt for 15 years, top product, although I've just replaced the batteries as the originals stopped holding charge
Makita also do a good range

Second vote for Dewalt. Great drill and battery lasts for ages.

https://www.overlandexpress.co.uk/courier-for-alloys
stuartm1962 is offline   Reply With Quote