Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st May 2018, 17:04   #1
dauphin
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Paint mismatch

On my blue Tourer (Seafrost - JYA) there’s a slight but fairly obvious difference in colour between the bonnet and the rest of the paintwork. Here’s a link to a photo although, to be fair, it does make the difference appear somewhat greater than it actually is. Still, it’s enough to be quite annoying!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0V5oqs3qSp0GX

It would surely be rather unusual if the car had been in an accident such that only the bonnet, and none of the other panels, had to be replaced or resprayed, although I guess it’s possible that something dropped onto the bonnet from above at some stage!

I have T-cut and polished the bonnet just in case it had weathered differently from the other panels by being horizontal, but this hasn’t made any difference.

So is this a factory quality control issue and, if so, is it a common problem? I’d be intrigued to hear any other ideas.
dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 17:09   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphin View Post
On my blue Tourer (Seafrost - JYA) there’s a slight but fairly obvious difference in colour between the bonnet and the rest of the paintwork. Here’s a link to a photo although, to be fair, it does make the difference appear somewhat greater than it actually is. Still, it’s enough to be quite annoying!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0V5oqs3qSp0GX

It would surely be rather unusual if the car had been in an accident such that only the bonnet, and none of the other panels, had to be replaced or resprayed, although I guess it’s possible that something dropped onto the bonnet from above at some stage!

I have T-cut and polished the bonnet just in case it had weathered differently from the other panels by being horizontal, but this hasn’t made any difference.

So is this a factory quality control issue and, if so, is it a common problem? I’d be intrigued to hear any other ideas.
Have you owned the car from new?
Many bonnets are resprayed because of scratches or stone chips...
If the rest of the car is UV effected then the bonnet could be sprayed perfectly well and just look different due to less UV..

Then again it may be painted with the wrong primer or incorrect number of top coats...

It quite common to see this now and I notice the same effect on 2 of my own Rovers as well as the likes of Flying Banana's front bumper and others...
Old 21st May 2018, 17:13   #3
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

To me the bonnet looks Wedgwood blue, do you think it could have been changed at some point?

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 17:22   #4
dauphin
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Have you owned the car from new?
Many bonnets are resprayed because of scratches or stone chips...
If the rest of the car is UV effected then the bonnet could be sprayed perfectly well and just look different due to less UV..

Then again it may be painted with the wrong primer or incorrect number of top coats...

It quite common to see this now and I notice the same effect on 2 of my own Rovers as well as the likes of Flying Banana's front bumper and others...
No, only had it a couple of months and I don’t know its history. You could be right about it being resprayed due to scratches or chips, although I’d have thought that if a previous owner cared enough to have that done, they’d have kicked up a fuss when they saw the result!
The rest of the paintwork is good and the colour is quite vivid and bright.
Old 21st May 2018, 17:24   #5
dauphin
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
To me the bonnet looks Wedgwood blue, do you think it could have been changed at some point?

Russ
That did cross my mind, but I’m not sure the colour discrepancy is quite that great. I will have to bring it to an event and compare it to a Wedgwood car!
Old 21st May 2018, 17:58   #6
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

My last Wedgwood had a different colour roof, it looked JEL, (an early Wedgwood) compared to the rest in JBH (later Wedgwood) I've found it's always best, where possible, to change a panel/door/bonnet wherever possible, rather than risk a mismatch spray.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 18:31   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

My friend has a Wedgwood cdt. He had the rear bumper and a sill resprayed. The sill looks ok, but the bumper looks a different colour in certain lights. Both sprayed at the same time.
Old 21st May 2018, 18:43   #8
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
My friend has a Wedgwood cdt. He had the rear bumper and a sill resprayed. The sill looks ok, but the bumper looks a different colour in certain lights. Both sprayed at the same time.
Bumpers are always different shades anyway on any car.

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 19:12   #9
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

What colour is the bonnet underneath? If it's the same as the top, then I would suggest it's been replaced with a Wedgwood at some point, as Seafrost would've been harder to find
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 19:41   #10
dauphin
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
What colour is the bonnet underneath? If it's the same as the top, then I would suggest it's been replaced with a Wedgwood at some point, as Seafrost would've been harder to find
It’s pretty much the same as the top, but it’s obviously not possible (without removing the bonnet) to place the underside side by side with the wing in order to compare.
As I say, the photo somewhat exaggerates the colour mismatch, and I don’t honestly think the colour is so far off that it could be a different colour altogether. I was showing it to my neighbour this afternoon and he said he wouldn’t have noticed the difference, although he could see it once I’d pointed it out to him.