Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd June 2015, 23:15   #1
steveandjanes75
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi connoisseur

Default New tyres

Oh dear I have had problems with getting the correct tyres.

I had an MOT a few weeks ago, and they found one tyre had a bulge on the inside wall, and the opposite tyre was going to need replacing soon. I had winter tyres on the front so decided to let the MOT garage fit new tyres all round. Over the phone they recommended a few makes and I settled on a mid-range tyre the Champiro UHP1. They were fitted and my two front winter tyres put in my boot for refitting next season.

But I was horrified at how bad the tyre noise was. As soon as I drove up the road from the garage it was evident. I complained and they said, they have fitted many before and no one else has complained, so let them wear in a bit and they should be fine. Two days later I was on the phone again. I said these Champiro Ultra High Performance may be OK for an Audi Quarto or similar, but my Rover 75 is not a high performance car, it built to be driven carefully and sedately for a quiet luxury ride so you recommended me the wrong type of tyres.

They took on board my complaint and offered to fit replacements, but any additional cost would be mine. I accepted this, and they gave another list of tyres.

This time I checked the EU ratings for noise level as well as wet/dry grip. I noticed the Champiro UHP1 they fitted were 72db. Dunlop Sport Maxx RT were 67db and the quietest of the selection they gave me and they also had A rating for wet grip.
Today they were fitted and they are silent in comparison; it’s amazing what 5db makes to road noise.

My only worry, after having the Dunlops fitted is tonight I looked at on-line reviews and they all say they are terribly bad on wear, so I think I will be lucky to get 15K out of them.
steveandjanes75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 06:20   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

some tyre web sites give noise and grip ratings. It is not just the db that makes a difference, the frequency also plays a part.
http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk
I see your in Ashford, can I ask which Ashford?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 08:43   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandjanes75 View Post
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT were 67db and the quietest of the selection they gave me and they also had A rating for wet grip. Today they were fitted and they are silent in comparison; it’s amazing what 5db makes to road noise.

My only worry, after having the Dunlops fitted is tonight I looked at on-line reviews and they all say they are terribly bad on wear, so I think I will be lucky to get 15K out of them.
Dunlops have the lowest dB noise rating around and high fuel efficiency makes them my personal choice. I have the BluResponse and agree about the low noise.

As to the wear rate, soft tyres tend to wear faster but since - - The Rover 75 is not a high performance car, it built to be driven carefully and sedately for a quiet luxury ride'- I wouldn't be too worried.

There's a similar discussion here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=217069

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:12   #4
hamster19
Gets stuck in

tourer conn CDTI

Do you just put 2 winter tyres on? I am sure you are supposed to put all 4 on
hamster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:41   #5
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Dunlops have the lowest dB noise rating around and high fuel efficiency makes them my personal choice. I have the BluResponse and agree about the low noise.

As to the wear rate, soft tyres tend to wear faster but since - - The Rover 75 is not a high performance car, it built to be driven carefully and sedately for a quiet luxury ride'- I wouldn't be too worried.

There's a similar discussion here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=217069

TC
Ive had these dunlop bluresponse tyres on for a week now. Very refined noise wise.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 00:02   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I had Dunlop Fastresponse on my Tourer, lovely and quiet, but 19000 miles and worn out.

Not to worry, at only £55 per corner worth every penny

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote