Old 16th February 2016, 07:53   #21
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
I was being serious Jef.
The idea was , if you think about it.....the fire would melt the bucket and hopefully the spilled water would put out any fire.
I put the icon as it was a daft idea that might just work.
Please don`t assume I am making fun of this kind of thing, I am not at all.
A friend of mine had this happen and I would not take the p-iss out of him.
Ken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Morning Ken
No offence taken

I think the issue is water and electricity don't mix although it would be a good idea for some kind of powder/co2 system to be introduced into the system.
regards
steve
If the fire was bad enough to melt the bucket of water there is not a cats chance in hell the volume of water would be anywhere near enough to extinguish the fire Ken.

As Steve has said, water and electricity are not great bed fellows either
Old 16th February 2016, 09:01   #22
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
If the fire was bad enough to melt the bucket of water there is not a cats chance in hell the volume of water would be anywhere near enough to extinguish the fire Ken.

As Steve has said, water and electricity are not great bed fellows either
Not getting into any argument jeff, I am aware of water and leccy.
maybe I`l modify the bucket and place large freezer zippy bags instead.
Don`t make this into something it`s not.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 09:33   #23
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
Actually I think Ken's suggestion isn't so silly. OK I know about water and electrics but in this scenario it could be to advantage. If the machine goes on fire we would hope the power could be removed, burning cables will hopefully short out blowing the 13a plug fuse or tripping the RCD.
There is no guarantee though this will happen. If the machine does get hot enough to melt a thin plastic container filled with water then it could get into the electrics of the machine to trip the RCD, it also could buy some time before the fire becomes disastrous.
I think Ken its a perfectly valid idea.
Old 16th February 2016, 09:45   #24
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
Actually I think Ken's suggestion isn't so silly. OK I know about water and electrics but in this scenario it could be to advantage. If the machine goes on fire we would hope the power could be removed, burning cables will hopefully short out blowing the 13a plug fuse or tripping the RCD.
There is no guarantee though this will happen. If the machine does get hot enough to melt a thin plastic container filled with water then it could get into the electrics of the machine to trip the RCD, it also could buy some time before the fire becomes disastrous.
I think Ken its a perfectly valid idea.
The top of a tumble dryer has a lid on it , the flames would have to be coming through the lid and unless you had gallons of water I don't see any chance of extinguishing the fire !

Sorry guys but I don't see this as a workable solution, not to mention the fact that most people's domestic appliances are under kitchen or utility work surfaces it's even less likely to work.

If a fire has taken hold of an appliance that badly unless you have proper extinguishers to deal with the fire my advice would be to get everyone out of the property immediately and dial 999
Old 16th February 2016, 09:58   #25
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
The top of a tumble dryer has a lid on it , the flames would have to be coming through the lid and unless you had gallons of water I don't see any chance of extinguishing the fire !

Sorry guys but I don't see this as a workable solution, not to mention the fact that most people's domestic appliances are under kitchen or utility work surfaces it's even less likely to work.

If a fire has taken hold of an appliance that badly unless you have proper extinguishers to deal with the fire my advice would be to get everyone out of the property immediately and dial 999
I agree Jeff that location and the cover material will be the problem.
We don't have one and never will. When I worked in Mastercare/Currys I was shocked by the inherent lack of safety in them, then added to the fact that most folk these days think everything is fit and forget, no wonder they are so much of a problem. Too many highly combustible plastics, items built in and other factors don't help.

In the case of a fire that is out of control, yes get out and dial 999, don't think of heroics!

EDIT: Kens idea would only be possible with a free standing machine of an older design anyway.
The advice I used to give was never use them when unattended and at night, something that now seems to be advised, like anything else common sense prevails, sadly its dying out these days!

Last edited by murphyv310; 16th February 2016 at 10:08.. Reason: Added a sub edit
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 10:16   #26
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
I agree Jeff that location and the cover material will be the problem.
We don't have one and never will. When I worked in Mastercare/Currys I was shocked by the inherent lack of safety in them, then added to the fact that most folk these days think everything is fit and forget, no wonder they are so much of a problem. Too many highly combustible plastics, items built in and other factors don't help.

In the case of a fire that is out of control, yes get out and dial 999, don't think of heroics!

EDIT: Kens idea would only be possible with a free standing machine of an older design anyway.
The advice I used to give was never use them when unattended and at night, something that now seems to be advised, like anything else common sense prevails, sadly its dying out these days!
Exactly Trevor, I understand fully where Ken was coming from and in no way trying to be argumentative but as you say, only use them when not unattended and alert .
If a fire has ignited to that extent don't try tackling the fire, get everyone out, close doors behind you on leaving and dial 999.
Old 16th February 2016, 10:26   #27
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Exactly Trevor, I understand fully where Ken was coming from and in no way trying to be argumentative but as you say, only use them when not unattended and alert .
If a fire has ignited to that extent don't try tackling the fire, get everyone out, close doors behind you on leaving and dial 999.
I think this is the golden rule to never leave them unattended.

Some people have no choice other than to use them due to circumstances and i think education about safety and regular cleaning of the filter is the way ahead.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 10:30   #28
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

For a bit of a hobby I play with "dead" tumble dryers and an older neighbour of mine told me that when she used hers, which was seldom, it tripped the electric and wouldn't work.

I told her not to use it at all until I'd looked and I found the capacitor had obviously overheated, burnt the adjacent wiring and it wasn't "going anywhere".

As it was Beko, I looked online and found a product recall for this serial number range so phoned them. Explained the situation, and the call recipient said "it's a vented dryer, we only had a problem with condensers, so you can still use it!" Doh!

Cleaning casings of lint is really important though the design should not allow any to build up internally - don't trust that view and open them up, especially keeping elements and pcb's clear.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 10:31   #29
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
I think this is the golden rule to never leave them unattended.

Some people have no choice other than to use them due to circumstances and i think education about safety and regular cleaning of the filter is the way ahead.
Agreed George,

I would suggest that any heating appliance in your house should be used with respect and caution and if a serviceable item, make sure these are kept up to date with qualified persons doing the job!

You've only got one life, best to preserve it as best you can
Old 16th February 2016, 16:13   #30
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
Not getting into any argument jeff, I am aware of water and leccy.
maybe I`l modify the bucket and place large freezer zippy bags instead.
Don`t make this into something it`s not.
Ken.
He's not, just putting an opinion across