Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th January 2024, 13:11   #1
Wayne B
Loves to post

MGZT

Default Low brake pad light/t4

Hi All.

I have the low brake pad warning light on my dash although I have had new pads & disks fitted. The garage could not turn the light off & what I would like to know is, is it possible to turn the light off at sorce on the t4 so it does not report a low pad problem?

Regards

Wayne
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2024, 13:54   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

The brake pad sensors also need changing to clear the brake pad warning light. Would have expected the garage doing the job to know this.

The brake pad warning function can be deactivated using a t4 or toaf.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2024, 13:58   #3
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Did the garage replace the wear sensor? If the pads got to the point where the light came on, a new sensor will be required.

Front: https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rov...9170deb6&_ss=r

Rear: https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rov...9170deb6&_ss=r

Alternatively, you could snip the sensor off and link the two wires together, thus bypassing the system and turning the light off. Just be aware that you'll no longer get a warning light for low pads next time they wear out. It might also be worth making a note of this somewhere so that should you sell the car someday, the next owner is aware.

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2024, 14:08   #4
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Don't think you can disable the warning with a T4 but Toaf certainly can, I disabled two last autumn. Not a problem here as we swop wheels/tyres twice a year and can check the pads without any magic sensors.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2024, 14:20   #5
Wayne B
Loves to post

MGZT

Somewhere in my mind, I am thinking that the brake pad wire was cut on the front pads a while back when the new disks & pads were put on & the garage was able to turn the light off. I think it came back on when the rear pads got low but they were then unable to reset the light. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am & that is what happened. Hopefully, someone with a t4 will know the answer.

Wayne.
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2024, 00:11   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne B View Post
Somewhere in my mind, I am thinking that the brake pad wire was cut on the front pads a while back when the new disks & pads were put on & the garage was able to turn the light off. I think it came back on when the rear pads got low but they were then unable to reset the light. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am & that is what happened. Hopefully, someone with a t4 will know the answer.

Wayne.
Wayne
Easy way to turn off the brake pad wear sensor light, until you can fit new sensors is to cut the wires, strip them back a little, join the together, fold over add a little heat shrink and the light should go out, what it means then though is until you add new wear pads sensors the pads will need to be check by visual, which is what we always used to do before sensors.

No T4 needed once the sensors have be crossed or new ones fitted.

I carry a couple of sets to our Nano meets just in case, i also have a few sets of new sensor if you are interested drop me a PM

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 25th January 2024 at 00:15..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2024, 08:05   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Thoughts on the brake warning system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne B View Post
... the garage was able to turn the light off ... they were then unable to reset the light.
Hello Wayne,

The way to turn off the low brake pad warning light is to fit a new sensor. That's all your garage has to do. It's basic and it's simple. That's the only method of "resetting" the light.

On a more general note, on the forum as a whole members take safety very seriously, particularly concerning the braking system. Meticulous care is taken to select reliable, high performance brands of brake pads and discs. The same applies to caliper maintenance and repair, brake pipe renewal and the bleeding process. This is, of course, how it should be. Members correctly point out that lives depend upon the integrity of the braking system.

I am therefore alarmed when, as in this case, members suggest short-circuiting the warning system or deliberately disabling it using a diagnostic tool. Such action is contrary to safe and responsible practice in my view and it should definitely not be even considered by a garage.

As has been pointed out, a new sensor is easily affordable at just £10. Having that safety system available and operational is just as important as feeling content and secure with Pagid* pads isn't it?

Simon

* Insert your preferred brand here.
Old 25th January 2024, 08:46   #8
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Wayne,

I am therefore alarmed when, as in this case, members suggest short-circuiting the warning system or deliberately disabling it using a diagnostic tool. Such action is contrary to safe and responsible practice in my view and it should definitely not be even considered by a garage.
People managed perfectly fine for 50+ years without a light on the dashboard telling them when a brake pad needs changing. Many new cars still don't come with brake pad warning systems.

I think those forum members you speak of that take safety various seriously don't need a light to tell them when their brake pads are low as they'd be keeping an eye on them anyway along with many other things.

If you want to keep the warning system operating, great. If not and you check things manually. That's fine also.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2024, 09:11   #9
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Alarmed Simon? I feel quite happy disabling the warning system using Toaf. Drivers become irritated and unnecessary distracted by the warning light when they know that the pads are in good condition and surely a visual inspection twice a year is better than any diagnostic system that may or may not be accurate.

The most recent case happened last October. An owner had driven here with the brake pad warning light on, for a belt change at an ex MG/Rover mechanic who also replaced the rear brake pads, checked the front pads too. All work completed, but the light was still on at 7pm and the owner faced a two hour drive home. Rather than continue the journey with the irritating warning he asked me to disable the function which I did.

Later, if the owner wishes and has had time to rectify the fault, without the distraction of a continuously illuminate warning symbol, I can simply enable the system again, takes less than five minutes.

How many of our old cars, Rover, Ford, Vauxhall etc were we able to drive and safely maintain without any monitoring system, and how did we do it? By visually inspecting the condition of the brake pads, something sadly modern owners neglect by relying too much on monitoring systems leading to such a false sense of security that they even neglect to check such critical things like the oil.

Keep well
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2024, 09:41   #10
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Remember that of the eight brake pads on the car, only two are monitored, not all the pads will (or do) wear at the same rate and any of the unmonitored pads could wear out before the pads with sensors fitted and the system won’t pick that up.
There is no substitute for visually checking the brakes on a regular basis (along with tyre condition/pressures and under bonnet fluid levels)!

Last edited by bsafly; 25th January 2024 at 11:00..
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote