Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th December 2018, 17:04   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Thumbs down Not looking good ... mutter mutter.

Increasingly widespread "knee-jerk" Write Off practice by Motor Insurance companies.

Not looking good

Some of you may have read about the two occasions when my wife's MG ZS was rear ended by inattentive plonkers and on both occasions, their Insurance Companies "Approved" repair assessors wrote it off. Speaking to a pro-body and restoration workshop I've known and trust for about forty years, the owner explained many moons ago why insurers are so keen now to "write off" any car. The practice saves them money, not just about the costs to repair cars, but the provision of a hire car whilst the damaged car is off the road. Write off the car and issue the cheque ASAP means huge savings for them and more inconvenience to you. Hire car charges to the Insurance companies have greedily milked that to excess according to some non-fake news items I have seen. Guess who pays for that excess of unreasonable greed.

So it is now always in the interests of the Insurance Companies to write cars off for the least excuse. Most car users jusr accept and go with it all.... sadly.

On the two occasions my wife's ZS was written off, I arranged to have it repaired to a high standard for far less than their "approved" repair outfits estimates. The last occasion there was a two inch crack in the rear bumper. I had fitted a substantial tow bar soon after the first "write off " shunt and that was a wise ploy. It saved the car.

The second time I hung around and watched their approved assessor complete with clip board and camera "assess" the difficult to see damage to the car's rear bumper. I clearly heard him mutter, no doubt for my benefit :~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Approved Assessor
Hmmm... not looking good.
To be fair, when I asked him the car was safe to drive ( naughty me ... ) he confirmed that it was... Those two inch cracks in the bumper can be a serious safety issue ..

The car is still a joy to own and drive in regular daily use by my better half.

Be ever watchful out there. There's a lot of it about and apparently on the increase as anyone reading my link will observe. Believe it of not, it did not used to be like that.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote