Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th October 2014, 16:02   #1
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts
Default R75 CDT Engine Top Cooling Hose

On the hose that takes the thermostat mod...the plastic end that goes to the engine.
I`m curious as to how it is kept water and pressure tight? because all I can see that looks like securing it is a wire spring type clip.
I have not really looked to what holds the plastic.
I know that doing the mod we just cut the band and pull the hose off and no need to disturb the plastic.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 16:27   #2
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
On the hose that takes the thermostat mod...the plastic end that goes to the engine.
I`m curious as to how it is kept water and pressure tight? because all I can see that looks like securing it is a wire spring type clip.
I have not really looked to what holds the plastic.
I know that doing the mod we just cut the band and pull the hose off and no need to disturb the plastic.
Ken.
those clips clamp on really tight thats how
Old 14th October 2014, 16:56   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The same system is used on the 1.8 engines, the Turbo certainly. I decided to service this connection recently and found it quite easy to separate. The clip that holds the union together doesn't put that much compression on the joint. Once the clip's out, the hose half should virtually drop out. The clip simply stops it from separating. The seal itself is formed by an o-ring located in a groove on the plastic half. The mating faces form a cone shaped join and the o-ring sits between them. I cleaned up the cone faces and applied some silicone grease to the o-ring. All refitted with no leakage.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 05:29   #4
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The same system is used on the 1.8 engines, the Turbo certainly. I decided to service this connection recently and found it quite easy to separate. The clip that holds the union together doesn't put that much compression on the joint. Once the clip's out, the hose half should virtually drop out. The clip simply stops it from separating. The seal itself is formed by an o-ring located in a groove on the plastic half. The mating faces form a cone shaped join and the o-ring sits between them. I cleaned up the cone faces and applied some silicone grease to the o-ring. All refitted with no leakage.

TC
Thanks for the explanation, nice and clear.
I bought a new hose from Rimmers to prepare it with the stat mod. It did not have the O Ring and must be a seperate part, that`s why I could not workout how it kept watertight, I see now,
Thanks.
Ken.
Old 15th October 2014, 11:10   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The joint may be different, I don't know. The diesel head outlet elbow is also plastic as seen here.

You can see the cone section where (I assume) the o-ring sits. The corresponding part on the 1.8T engine is alloy.

This is the 1.8T/PRT top hose

The O-ring sits in a groove within the plastic connector unit.
I haven't yet found the corresponding diesel part.

EDIT: Just found the details. The diesel doesn't use an o-ring seal. It's simply has a standard compression band around the hose (Jubilee style). I misunderstood the 'clip/clamp' as being like the 1.8T pull-out wire retainer. Sorry for any confusion caused.

Quote:
??

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 15th October 2014 at 11:34..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 12:01   #6
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The joint may be different, I don't know. The diesel head outlet elbow is also plastic as seen here.

You can see the cone section where (I assume) the o-ring sits. The corresponding part on the 1.8T engine is alloy.

This is the 1.8T/PRT top hose

The O-ring sits in a groove within the plastic connector unit.
I haven't yet found the corresponding diesel part.

EDIT: Just found the details. The diesel doesn't use an o-ring seal. It's simply has a standard compression band around the hose (Jubilee style). I misunderstood the 'clip/clamp' as being like the 1.8T pull-out wire retainer. Sorry for any confusion caused.

??

TC
Here is the new one from Rimmers. Thanks for info and it does not take much to confuse me . Anyway I won`t need to be concerned with the plastic part as this one will get discarded and will be using the end thats in situ on the engine.
Ken.
Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5845.jpg (112.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 15th October 2014, 13:32   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Anyway I won`t need to be concerned with the plastic part as this one will get discarded and will be using the end thats in situ on the engine.

Ken.
If you don't fit it Ken keep it somewhere safe. They have been known to leak due to the seals perishing.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote