Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th October 2014, 13:28   #1
smeraldavilla

MG ZT

Default MG 190ZT V6 2.5cc Cutting out.

Hello. Hopefully you will find this helpful. I purchased the above vehicle to take me out to Sardinia which it did successfully. On arrival a couple of days later the car developed a problem of cutting out without warning, if I left the car for approx, fifteen minutes it would restart, run for a few miles and cut out again. Having been a mechanic over 30 years ago it was definitely an electrical problem not a fuel problem. The garages in Sardinia could not help as they did not have the appropriate tools to plug into their computer. Mechanics nowadays don’t seem to have heard of an ohmmeter, anyway to cut a long story short. Remove the engine cover, remove the camshaft sensor and the bracket that holds the multi plug, remove and spray the sensor with WD40, clean the pickups on the sensor and remove any carbon with a soft cloth. Refit the sensor. Do not refit the bracket or the engine cover as this seems to be the problem. I believe the engine cover overheats the sensor and this is where the problem lies. I ran the car for a week, refitted the cover and the problem returned. I removed the cover again and the car ran with no problems for the next four months in Sardinia covering over 3,000 miles including the return trip home without a hitch.
smeraldavilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 13:37   #2
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Thread moved to the Technical section, redirect left in Welcome.
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 18:11   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Camshaft position sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeraldavilla View Post
I believe the engine cover overheats the sensor and this is where the problem lies.
An interesting theory Alan, but there must be more to it otherwise all KV6s would be affected.

Simon
Old 14th October 2014, 19:55   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I'd suggest the sensor here is losing its flux. In other words, on its way out. Failed sensors can sometimes be revitalised (temporarily) by freezing them. Similarly, failing sensors usually give warm start issues. Magnetic flux density varies with temperature so the sensor's temperature becomes significant as the magnetic strength fades. Removing the engine cover reduces thermal insulation enough to keep the sensor active. I'd also suggest having a new sensor handy.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 14:32   #5
smeraldavilla

MG ZT

Guys I am not looking for a debate. I purely put this up so that it might be helpful. It fixed my problem it may not fix others. Regarding the temperature, Sardinia between July and August goes from the high 30 degrees to the mid 40 degrees so if the sensor was going to go it would go in these temps. I only purchased this to take me out and back the car is up for sale at £650 if somebody wants it. 6 months tax and mot. My apologies if I am not allowed to sell on here. I am an old **** who finds these websites difficult to follow.
smeraldavilla is offline   Reply With Quote