Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th March 2020, 18:26   #401
Alwaystrouble68

Rover 75 Tourer

Thumbs up 75 drain tubes.

Hi. Just completed this check. All dry however dug out half a forest of leaves. Changed the filter whilst i was in there. Thanks to you guys for the advice, saved me a small fortune if got flooded. nice one. Tony 2003 75.
Alwaystrouble68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2020, 18:28   #402
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Yes - you have to vigilant with a Diesel as your ECU is not sealed nor waterproofed - unlike the MGR Petrol ECU's which are sealed and waterproofed - always wondered why thy did not seal them all.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2020, 10:39   #403
SilverMT

MG ZT

Default Possible ECU woes

Hello everyone.

prior to purchasing my 2003 diesel ZT last November I had found this forum whilst trying to educate myself about potential problems to look out for.

Having learned about the plenum issue I made it a point to check my drains with every wash. I would pour some water down the side drains and feel confident as I watched it all came out from under the car. Little did I know how naive I was being as I thought that this was what was being referred to and never checked the middle drain, under the ECU.

A few days ago my car lost power during a drive. After coasting to a safe parking spot, I tried restarting the car. Turning the key would crank the starter confidently but alas the car would not start. Had I not refueled earlier on I would have suspected that I ran out of diesel.

I noticed that I no longer heard the whine of the diesel pump when turning the ignition on. Theorising that it might be an electrical problem, I fiddled around with the fuses next to the battery, and tried turning the key again. To my surprise, the car started!

Alas, the happiness provided by my newfound electrical genius was short lived as the car turned off again within a few seconds. Another fiddle with the fuses let me start it up again, only to have it turn off once more after roughly the same amount of time. No amount of further prodding to the fuses and relays led to the car starting again, so I had to have it towed to the garage, defeated and disheartened.

I'll try to relay the troubleshooting steps that my mechanic described as well as I can:

He first tested the in-tank fuel pump. Supplying a direct charge made it turn however no fuel was reaching the engine bay before the high pressure pump. It may be of importance to mention that (I believe that) he noticed that when the ignition was off the fuel would arrive into the engine bay, but with the ignition, it wouldn't.

Computer diagnostics apparently gave nonsensical error messages consisting of a string of numbers rather than the usual letter followed by a number.

Upon accessing the ECU box he saw that there was water beneath it. A corner of the ECU box shows a water mark (diagonal lines on lower left corner):

The ECU itself looks like this (doesn't look bad):

Close-ups of lower-left corner:

There seems to be some mineral build-up along some of the traces. To my beginner electronics-hobbyist eyes it looks like the only components in this corner are resistors, diodes and what seem like transistors. Would these have been damaged upon contact with water, or would shorting these have caused damage further up-field?

Would this explain the fuel pump issue or could it be caused by something else? What about the strange error messages? Have I fried my ECU? Should I try cleaning with denatured alcohol?

Thanks to this forum I already repaired the leaking boot, solved a coolant leak issue that turned out to be broken O-rings, and I also replaced 3 rusted door trim panels with replacements from Rimmer Bros.

Losing use of the car to this is bumming me out.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
SilverMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2020, 10:50   #404
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Ian.
You could try cleaning that area with some switch cleaner, and dry it out. but I think if it did work it would only be for a while.

Personally I would drop one or both of these guys a PM they should be able to help you out.

Marinabrian
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/p...=newpm&u=13883

big Russ
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/p...=newpm&u=13883

Also post this in the tech section you will get better coverage

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2020, 10:59   #405
SilverMT

MG ZT

Hi Arctic,

thanks for the quick reply.
I'll repost.
SilverMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2020, 19:01   #406
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Or you could PM ( private message. ) the two guys mentioned above.

As said, the tech section is where you need to be.

Good luck with it and get that spy hole drilled.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2020, 21:02   #407
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Default Check Those Plenums

I know you may get fed up that i keep banging on about check those plenums, but with all the rain we are having it only takes 5 minutes

ad altiora tendo.

Old 22nd June 2020, 16:53   #408
Windslore
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 190 SE, MG ZT 260 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Photo's now replaced to a fashion, will correct 100% over time but seeing we are having a deluge of rain at the moment, I have replaced most of the originals I am sure we all get the drift by now
Hi Artic,
Are the pictures still on the forum showing the measurements required to cut the ‘spy’ hole in the Plastic panel? It would appear the hosting company has deleted them☹️

John
Windslore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:15   #409
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windslore View Post
Hi Artic,
Are the pictures still on the forum showing the measurements required to cut the ‘spy’ hole in the Plastic panel? It would appear the hosting company has deleted them☹️
97mm iirc
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2020, 18:53   #410
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windslore View Post
Hi Artic,
HI John.
Not on the forum at the moment its one of many threads i need to reinstate when i have the time, in the mean time hope these help.

ad altiora tendo.