Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st October 2007, 08:37   #1
The Pez
Regular poster

Rover 75 Conneseur saloon

Unhappy 75 1800cc Overheating or Not?

This car will be the death of me & the previous owner if i see him!!!!

Sorted, Plenums, wet footwell, Bonnet Catch & modified it thanks to Keith!

NEW PROBLEM or is it?

I topped up the expansion tank with 3/4 of a litre yesterday morning after doing the above jobs. I drove to work last night, when i started the car up from cold there was a belch of water from behind the dash, (maybe a air blockage in the heater?) after completing my 60mph 17 mile trip to work (all dual track & motorway), i checked it again whilst hot, and had lost a bit.

Returning to the car this am, i topped up the expansion tank with maybe half a pint, whilst stone cold.

When arriving at home i pulled the bonnett (now works wooo oooh!) and i needed to put no more in.

But on careful examination, the top hose was red hot, the little pipe from the expansion tank to the bottom hose was cold, and the bottom hose was fairly cold too.

i squeezed the top hose and you could here the water shooting round (engine switched off) and i squeezed the bottom hose and could here the water clearly in the top hose moving .

The temperature guage gets up to halfway and sits there beautifully all the time once up to temp.

Is this normal, or am i being parranoid due to the problems i have had in my first week of owning the car.?

i am determined to get the car up to 100% as its the way i am im afraid, i like everything on my cars "spot on" or i will sell it! Which would be a great shame cos i love the vehicle.
The Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 08:43   #2
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

The car should not use any water at all, and definitely not that much. There must be a leak, check the water pump and inlet manifold gasket.
Get it done straight away before you start getting into blown head gasket territory. That's where it will lead to I'm afraid.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 08:51   #3
The Pez
Regular poster

Rover 75 Conneseur saloon

The Head gasket was done before i bought it a few months ago, and the cat replaced.

Cant visibly see any leaks but iwill check again what you mentioned, and get it pressure tested just in case.
The Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 08:59   #4
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

The fact that the head gasket was replaced a few months ago is irrelevant. The second time mine went was only 8 months after the first.
The head gaket doesn't just wear out over a long period of time imho. Other factors cause it to fail.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote