Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th October 2007, 16:50   #1
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Question R75 bonnet release cables

Hi all,
Whilst on holiday I noticed that the interior lever that opens the bonnet was not as tight as it has always been when pulled to open the bonnet, there was about 1 cm play before engaging the release to open the bonnet. I did not have any problems openning the bonnet so made a mental note to sort it out on returning home.
Having read the forum discussions on the subject of the bonnet failing to open as a very common problem , I firstly checked the junction box on the driver side wing, and yes you guest right, the cables were routed incorrectly on the slider, so I detached them and turned the slider over so cables face away from wing, also secured a cable tie on the outside of the single cable.
I secondly greased both the locking mechanisms on the bonnet platform and sprayed some lubricating oil inside the locks, I also loosened the bolts holding the locking mechanisms (2 on either side) slightly.
It all appears to be OK, the bonnet locks and opens as intended but the release lever by the RHS footwell is still loose, does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 18:54   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I think you should check the outer casing where it fits at the lever end. If that's loose, the lever will have a lot of slop. You have to remove the kick panel to the right side of the driver's footwell. Pull away the door seal then remove the panel (a push-in fastener and three spring clips hold it down). See page 11.10 and 11.32 in Haynes.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 09:31   #3
The Pez
Regular poster

Rover 75 Conneseur saloon

My bonnet is now refusing to open! How do i get this to open, i have tried pulling the cable gently with pliers from inside the car to no avail.
Can you help please?
And do you need to buy and replace the whole cable, or do they just need lubrication and adjustment?

Thanks
The Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 11:10   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Get someone to press the bonnet down at the front edge while you pull the cable. That might work. If you can't get it to open, you could request private assistance from a moderator. With only two posts, you may or may not be lucky.
Whether you need new cables depends on what you find wrong.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 17:19   #5
The Pez
Regular poster

Thanks but that dont work. Im desperate to get this bonnet up to solve the water problems, and i need car for work.
I will try and contact mod with my reg number addreses and telephone, they may believe im a genuine guy then!
Thanks for your help.
Old 29th October 2007, 17:34   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

You don't need to get the bonnet open to do the drain you can get to them under the car and I would suggest you do that first before doing the work to get the bonnet open as that is really a daylight job

pic cdt passenger side

drivers side

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 19:56   #7
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Email and PM sent to Pez earlier today, he hasn't replied or logged back on since. Have advised him to make contact if he is having trouble.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 09:52   #8
The Pez
Regular poster

hi Guys...
firstly, the bay was at least 3 inches deep in water, now rectified! The passenger drain plug was blocked completly, about a gallon of water spilled out. I took bung out after dispersing rthe water, a cleanerd it thoroughly, and replaced.

Bad news was, pollen filter is scrap, about half way up covered in water, and blocked, looks like its never beern changed, must get one tomorrow. are these readily available from parts co or do we have to special order? and are they expensive?

The ecu has been sat in at least an inch of water! This is worrying me greatly.

The fans are cutting in as they should via climate and air con etc, so thats good news.

And the bonnett is up!!! and fixed. It had simply jumped out of its socket (the single cable) on the splitter, just inside the drivers wing. I have popped it back in, greased the bonnet catches, wd 40 the release mechanism. all works fine now again.

Another worrying point is that i topped up the expansion bottle to the max line with three quarters of a litre of water! Bearing in mind the head gasket was done several; months ago should i be worried.?? i will keep an eye on this every day.

Just treated it to a maguires polish and it looks a million dollars in copperleaf red, i just hope it behaves itself from now on!

Thanks for your help, without it i would of sytill been scratching my head!
Old 30th October 2007, 09:59   #9
BT@Home
Loves to post

'99 Club CDT / '03 ZT-T + CDTi

Pollen filter can be sourced from ebay cheap (£12 + P&P), just search for "rover 75 pollen", appears to be the cheapest place, and I've just ordered one the other night too.
BT@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 19:09   #10
The Pez
Regular poster

just got a proper mg/rover one off e bay £12 odd.....

Cheers....