Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th October 2007, 14:04   #1
Simon
Banned

-

Default For KV6 - Is this an oil leak or excess run-off from the crankcase ventilation?

As per title. In response to a question asked by Keith I discovered a rather worrying amount of oil underneath these pipes and in particular collecting underneath the metal object underneath them. It's dirty-ish oil and very similar in appearance to the oil found collecting inside the throttle body (from the crankcase ventilation).

NB: Appoligise for the second image, I had to use a mobile phone to get at the angle required to take it and it was a rather blurry shot, so the image is deliberately small so as not to become too fuzzy. I hope it gives you some idea of the oil deposits found on it though. It is the same metal object underneath the pipes in the first pic but viewed from underneath upwards. I have circled the area of contamination in the first picture.

Question is: Has all this oil collected there from the throttle body and leaked out of the tube from the filter housing to the throttle body or has it come from elsewhere? If so... where. I have cleaned up the area and will check again later on today. I certainly haven't noticed any drop in oil levels to the extent I would suspect oil leakage.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 14:09   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Looks very much like throttle body to air filter pipe joint has leaked a bit. Can't think how else to be honest.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 14:21   #3
Simon
Banned

-

Actually GG - this is what I'm hoping it is
I rather suspect that over time the leakage has simply built up. I recall Lates mentioning seeing some oil deposits on the undertray when he did my cars service the other weekend and perhaps it was spots of oil from this that he was observing. I'll PM him and ask if he remembers on which side of the tray the deposits were.

If anyone else has any thoughts - or can even tell me what the metal object is (looks like it's part of the engine itself) then it'd be most appreciated.
Old 25th October 2007, 16:15   #4
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Is this not part of the starter solenoid in which case, a direct passage to the clutch housing and flywheel?

Firstly, if the oil was leaking from the inlet hose then this would mean that engine was sucking air in post the filter box - not good, and the leakage can only occur when the engine is not running since normally there's an awful lot of vacuum up in the throttle body.

If the leakage was coming from the pipes this needs investigation.

If on the otherhand, there is some sort of way that the clutch slave may be peeing some fluid out and by some miracle, finding ots way out onto the starter body, you need to check - if this is brake fluid it will strip paint.

Otherwise, it may well be simply spilt oil from previous oil changes. I will have a look at mine at some point.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 16:53   #5
Simon
Banned

-

Having reassembled and checked the airbox and throttle body it would seem no more oil has gathered but I did notice that on the underside of the OEM hose from the airbox to the throttle body there was a fair amount of oil and a suspect 'kink' in the end of the rubber (where it joins the throttle body).

I have refitted and felt around this join and I hope the kink is no longer present so I'm hoping this could have been the problem... Only time will tell and I'll check in a week or so's time.

Oil definitely has the same colour/consistency as that found from the throttle body so I'm hoping it is from the crankcase ventilation and this kink in the air hose has simply allowed oil to drip from the throttle body once the engine is switched off. Another reason to fit an oil catch tank methinks.... One for the Xmas list
Old 25th October 2007, 16:58   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Simon when I pulled my 190 air box apart I found a similar puddle I think it pools there slightly
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 17:00   #7
MartinW

MG TF LE500

It should not be leaking from the inlet hose unless it has been disconnected as this would suggest dirty air could get in after the filter box.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 17:08   #8
Simon
Banned

-

This is what is worrying me Martin. As I'm sure you are aware I've had the filter box out on a few occasions now and have never noticed an incorrect fit before. In fact, I would have thought it difficult to fit the hose incorrectly.

I am now wondering if any other pipes have started to leak slightly. It's now too dark to investigate....
Old 25th October 2007, 17:23   #9
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Oh right with you now, so it didn't just run out when you pulled off the pipe then?

In that case take a look at the hose for leaks otoh maybe the oil is seeping through the rubber like it does on the CDT intercooler hose that goes to the EGR ?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 17:25   #10
Simon
Banned

-

Oil seeping through the rubber... Hadn't thought of that. That's an awful lot of seepage though...

They should've used aluminium exclusively when making the pipework, or maybe even titanium..... Mmmm.... titanium....