Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th October 2007, 12:49   #1
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Default Help this has me baffled! Getrag boxes and bell housings for the various models

All the manual gearboxes are Getrags but I have only seen the Diesel one close up so have no idea what the petrol ones look like by comparison.

Can I assume the bell housing on the 1.8 V6 and CDT boxes are different and that you could not for example accidentally fit a 1.8 box to a CDT although if you could the lower gearing could make a CDT interesting from the lights!

Reason for asking is I need to order a box from the breakers as I am distinctly lacking 3rd gear in the one I have refitted to the tourer i.e. it turned out to be more than just a clutch plate fault!

I want to be sure that what I buy is for a CDT

Current CDT box has 47R37 on the bar code label which can be seen on the front of the box directly below the airfilter housing I assume the 47 stands for the M47 engine or does it?

There are not any other numbers on the box that I can see
Anyone with a 1.8 or KV6 fancy checking what there label says please

Last edited by Keith; 25th October 2007 at 12:54..
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 13:12   #2
Simon
Banned

-

By stroke of coincidence I just read this thread whilst having nothing to do and having a "home-made" air filter box made the gearbox easily accessible.

Anyways, the number on my KV6 (160ps version) is 25X39. Hope this helps.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 14:11   #3
ragitty
I really should get out more.......

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
All the manual gearboxes are Getrags but I have only seen the Diesel one close up so have no idea what the petrol ones look like by comparison.

Can I assume the bell housing on the 1.8 V6 and CDT boxes are different and that you could not for example accidentally fit a 1.8 box to a CDT although if you could the lower gearing could make a CDT interesting from the lights!

Reason for asking is I need to order a box from the breakers as I am distinctly lacking 3rd gear in the one I have refitted to the tourer i.e. it turned out to be more than just a clutch plate fault!

I want to be sure that what I buy is for a CDT

Current CDT box has 47R37 on the bar code label which can be seen on the front of the box directly below the airfilter housing I assume the 47 stands for the M47 engine or does it?

There are not any other numbers on the box that I can see
Anyone with a 1.8 or KV6 fancy checking what there label says please
Hi Keith, there is a "how to" (click the link below). 47r37 is a diesel gearbox, not much help I know but you never know the "how to" posted by "back bencher" may give you your answers good luck.

http://s179128443.websitehome.co.uk/...3cd314a9f5.jpg

Last edited by ragitty; 25th October 2007 at 14:30.. Reason: spelling correction
ragitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 14:18   #4
Simon
Banned

-

Further to my previous post, the gearbox in my KV6 could suggest that the "25" stands for 2.5 Litre??
Old 25th October 2007, 16:19   #5
MartinW

MG TF LE500

The ZT160 is the same as the 75, IIRC, but different to the ZT 190 - at least the 190 has different gear ratios. The 180 auto is a JATCO, I think. I thought the K4 used the PG1 but probably not, I know there were some changes in suppliers at various stages.

I was told that the K4 and KV6 shared the same bolt pattern but I know someone fitting a 190 V6 up for RWD and he says it is not at all like the K4. However, this may because the 190 is different to the rest of the range but I can't see them producing two different castings just for the 190!
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 16:51   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Thanks Raggity and Simon I was sure I had seen the info somewhere just found it on the EPC, I should have looked harder!

However the puzzle deepens, what initially confused me is I have bought a box from a car that was written off with 33K on the clock

Whilst ordering it I first asked about the label on the box and initially they gave me the part number on the slave cylinder pipe and that part number was for a 1.8 slave later they read off the correct 47R37 label which I was after.

So that started me think surely the boxes are not interchangeable in any way and the answer is no the 1.8 box is threaded as it takes bolts from the engine side whereas in the same place the CDT bolts are inserted gearbox side so telling the two apart is easy

So the mystery is why does this box have a 1.8 slave! perhaps although all the cars have different slave part number they are actually pretty much identical?
Old 25th October 2007, 16:57   #7
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
So the mystery is why does this box have a 1.8 slave! perhaps although all the cars have different slave part number they are actually pretty much identical?
Or someone in the past has fitted the wrong part...?
Old 25th October 2007, 17:00   #8
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Wrong in the factory or a "that will do mate" in a garage but it does make you wonder if apart from the part nimber they are identical especially as the prices vary

I will take some measurements when the box arrives

or they may have simpy had a batch in the factory with the wrong labels on them!
Old 25th October 2007, 17:11   #9
Simon
Banned

-

If the clutch plates are different sizes then maybe they would have different slave cylinders to 'drive' them, on the other hand (As you suggest) it maybe a "one size fits all" solution but perhaps with different fitments - do the slave cylinders have different fitments for different 'boxes? I'm now thinking out-loud so this post is probably not making much sense....
Old 25th October 2007, 17:15   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

I will give them both a meaningfull stare as I will have the original CDT slave that I replaced and the 1.8 one to play with later on

Maybe the breakers simply lobbed the 1.8 one in the box some time after the car was dismantled