Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th December 2012, 16:27   #21
jezcar
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8 Connie Saloon

Thanx Jackyboy, But done the fabled orange clip job after I first had this problem and started the post as it was the most common reason for non starting of a petrol engined 75. I am assuming this is what you meant some clip broken inside.
If it still the fuel filter I must be doing something wrong and will have yet another look in morning, but as there seems to be pressure there when fuel hose removed from filter have hoped it not this!
The fact it not starting with Easy Start makes me think filter is ok and the problem lies elsewhere.
If i could get it to my local guy and get it repaired for 50 quid i'd bite his hand off.
jezcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 19:15   #22
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezcar View Post
Fitted the cam sensor and hey presto I've still got exactally same problem ...
Hi Jez,

First of all can I say that I share your frustration and despair that your car still will not start. You mused in earlier posts that the camshaft sensor might be responsible, and as you'd established a fuel supply and spark I agreed with you. I am now puzzled that your newly purchased camshaft sensor hasn't solved the problem so I got out MG Rover's bible and they have played a cruel trick on us.

On the KV6 engine, which I have, a faulty camshaft sensor will prevent the engine from starting. I am horrified to discover this evening that this is not the case with the 1.8. I quote:

"If the CMP sensor signal is missing, the engine will still start and run, but the fuel injection may be out of phase.

Of the 1.8 engine MG Rover also says:

"If the CKP [crankshaft position sensor] signal is missing, the vehicle will not run as there is no substitute signal or default."

So it seems as if we have both fallen victim to a confusing situation. I'm so sorry Jez. I don't know whether you'll be unhappy about the money you've wasted on the camshaft sensor or joyful that there is still hope that a cure may be in sight. I have to say that we are in guessing territory here, which is never very satisfactory. In the circumstances you might prefer to see if one of the club's T4 owners is prepared to visit you because the presence of a fault code would be useful with this one. I've heard engines refuse to fire and it has been because the cambelt has jumped a tooth, which might be another possibility.

Simon.
Old 19th December 2012, 20:13   #23
jezcar
Regular poster

Thanks Simon, dont worry no need to be sorry, think I was just getting a little bit Pi***d off as the car I sold to buy this was a BMW 530D that refused to start and turned out to be an injector and battery at a grand total of £777.70.

I totally understand that I/we are almost in a guessing game at present and realise that with these cars with all this modern electrikery on them they are not as easy as a good old ford cortina with carbs and dizzy's!!

As far as the cam sensor replacement goes at least I am confident that this will be good for as long as I've got the car.

Firstly is there any way of checking the crank sensor and second where is it?

Thanks for for all your help.
Jez
Old 19th December 2012, 20:27   #24
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi
Can I add my tuppence-worth? If you have a good spark and fuel theoretically the engine should start.
What can stop the process is, Flooding, valve timing out, blocked exhaust or air intake, and good old fashioned petrol wash!
Go back to basics and take the plugs out, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine for 20 seconds with the throttle on the floor, put 20cc of oil down each bore and then crank for a few revolutions. Check that the cams are in correct timing to the crank, a 10 minute job. When installing the plugs warm them up on a gas ring or lighter just in case there is fuel residue on them doing this will burn it off.
Oh and don't forget to see if someone hasn't stuffed a spud up your exhaust
Good Luck
Old 19th December 2012, 20:38   #25
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default None starter

Hi
Have you checked the inertia switch as Marinabrian suggested earlier?

I had a Peugeot 406 1.8 and after changing an engine mount the car would not start, I had just caught the switch with the ratchet and it required resetting and hey presto

Worth a try!

Good luck

Regards

Steveo

steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 22:19   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... is there any way of checking the crank sensor ...
Jez,

Here's a helpful tip from MG Rover which requires no tools:

"To check if the ECM is receiving a CKP [crankshaft position sensor] signal carry out the following. Check that the fuel pump runs during engine crank. If the pump primes at "key on" but does not run during cranking this would indicate that the ECM is not seeing a CKP signal."

You'll probably need a separate pair of ears in the offside back seat for this.

Simon.
Old 19th December 2012, 22:36   #27
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

IMO you're still suffering FFS.
Just fitting the FOC is not a 100% guarantee, especially if the filter module slackened a lot or indeed was opened up to check inside. The cap seal is very fragile and once slackened may never actually seal properly again. That's exactly what I experienced. No start after fitting the FOC. I had to start again using a new sealing ring supplied in the filter service kit (£45!). Replacing the seal and fitting the FOC did the trick.
Maybe worth re-tracking on the filter module.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 14:43   #28
jezcar
Regular poster

Ok folks, new crank sensor fitted today still wont start although she made more of an attempt than she has.
T-Cut checked the filter again stripped it down and checked o ring and refit but as mentioned in first post when I originally checked the filter for the FOC the filter was still tight together but I did open it and fit new O-Ring and the FOC upon refitting.

The Original fault was "couple of months after purchased she slowly took longer and longer to start and if she did start but stall would take ages to restart and she always seemed like she never had any choke ie tick over when cold was always same as when warm! then one day after fitting the FOC she just refused point blank to start"

Would like to check fuel delivery at fuel rail but cant work out how to remove pipe from the red thingy as cant get both hands in there, want to check that fuel line not blocked.

I am assuming that the smell of fuel I get when I remove the plugs is more fumes than actual petrol and therefore not enough to start the car.

If anyone knows any one in or near Lowestoft with T4 or more experience of these cars please help.

One post asked about fault codes well before she eventually gave up the ghost a workmate has an OBDii reader for his laptop (from fleabay) and two faults came up then and thay were:- PO202- Missfire on cylinder 2 and PO313 which i cant find in the list of codes on the relevant post on forum.

Wishing one and all a very happy christmas.

Jez
Old 21st December 2012, 14:53   #29
Jackyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75

Sorry to hear you still have problems. Try ringing Chelmer Rover Centre in Springfield, Chelmsford, he is a great guy and extremely helpful. If you were in the AA you could get them to take the car down there for you. I live in Colchester but would be happy to run you home.

Jim
Jackyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 17:33   #30
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Ok folks, new crank sensor fitted today still wont start although she made more of an attempt than she has.
T-Cut checked the filter again stripped it down and checked o ring and refit but as mentioned in first post when I originally checked the filter for the FOC the filter was still tight together but I did open it and fit new O-Ring and the FOC upon refitting.

The Original fault was "couple of months after purchased she slowly took longer and longer to start and if she did start but stall would take ages to restart and she always seemed like she never had any choke ie tick over when cold was always same as when warm! then one day after fitting the FOC she just refused point blank to start"

Would like to check fuel delivery at fuel rail but cant work out how to remove pipe from the red thingy as cant get both hands in there, want to check that fuel line not blocked.

I am assuming that the smell of fuel I get when I remove the plugs is more fumes than actual petrol and therefore not enough to start the car.

If anyone knows any one in or near Lowestoft with T4 or more experience of these cars please help.

One post asked about fault codes well before she eventually gave up the ghost a workmate has an OBDii reader for his laptop (from fleabay) and two faults came up then and thay were:- PO202- Missfire on cylinder 2 and PO313 which i cant find in the list of codes on the relevant post on forum.

Wishing one and all a very happy christmas.

Jez
PO313 code is misfire fuel level low and check the Lambda sensor

Last edited by suzublu; 21st December 2012 at 17:36..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote