Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th October 2018, 22:19   #1
Dickie524

MG ZT-T

Default Sorry folks - another towing electrics question!

Hi folks, I have seen numerous threads on the matter of towing electrics but none seem to quite answer my query entirely.

I am wiring up a basic (2nd hand) towbar which ONLY has the black 7-pin connector (only to be used for a trailer).

The donor car only had the 7 wires scotchlocked to the rear light cluster wiring with no reported problems.

I have a late '05' ZTT with the mini-fuse box. (Donor was a late '54' plate 75)

My car does not have the 'message centre' but only an instrument warning panel. However I understand it does still have 'Canbus' so...

1. Do I still need to fit the towing relay? (The TEB7AS type) please? (There was no sign of one on the donor car but that means it wouldn't even have had an indicator buzzer either!)

2. If I should use such a relay, then can I use the orange/ slate wire which is dangling behind the fuse box to power the relay?

3. If so, so I need to fuse this wire, or is it already fused in the engine compartment?

4. If so - which fuse in the engine compartment doe sit go to - and should i remove this which wiring it up? (Or would that upset something else?!)

5. AS I don't have the 'message centre', I don't have bulb fail warning lights... In which case, do I need to do anything to the LSM?

Many thanks and apologies if this is frustrating - the wiring is much more modern (complicated!!) on this that it is on my 820SLi!!

Cheers, Rich
Dickie524 is offline   Reply With Quote