Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th October 2019, 18:37   #1
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Default Went to look at this 75

Here we go. Had a good look and drove it too. Drives straight and true and the same when you stand on the brakes. There is a misfire which is noticeable at slow speed. Hit the throttle and goes well as a V6 should. Before taking it out it was obvious the idle was too fast. Noticed that both VIS motors were unplugged so reconnecting them put that right! Does not overheat. Gearbox is smooth as it can be with the misfire but felt ok. 3 tyres are good but one will need replacing soon. Wheels presentable with only minor marks. I do like them!!! Rear lower suspension arms very good. Upper arms looking a bit crusty but still solid. Should pass another MOT fine but need to budget for a pair in a year or so. Sills are solid, no rust. Body looks good at 5 paces and is a nice colour indeed. No damage. Only problem is the paint is showing some cracking and crazing on the n/side front wing and bonnet. Seems the lacquer is faded. It was pouring with rain so needs to be seen again in the dry. Interior is good with minimal wear on the driver seat. I’ve seen much worse. A good valet is all it needs. Personally I would offer £400 at the most. The misfire needs investigating and will need a tyre and at some point both upper arms. It is what you would expect for sub £500. It’s nice but not perfect.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F372813846222
Old 24th October 2019, 18:58   #2
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I've seen FB posts about this car - no one will give it a chance because of the misfire. My old Conte had exactly the same issue and it was a rear bank coil pack down. This sounds ok for the price really. I mean, what do you get for that money these days?
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 20:18   #3
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Exactly. It’s worth a punt at about £500. Spend another few hundred to put it right and it’s a lovely car. It’s not for me but I was happy to view it for a lady on FB looking for one.
Old 24th October 2019, 20:46   #4
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

I had a persistent misfire on a v6. Cured by replacing an offending coil pack. Identified the problem with a propriety OBD reader. A couple have been recommended on these forums. Also replaced the breather pipe.
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2019, 23:10   #5
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I had two coil packs go within 2 months. I've now got a reader off eBay so I can diagnose the offender and DIY next time, the reader was cheaper than the garage diagnoses fee...
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 05:36   #6
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Exactly. It’s worth a punt at about £500. Spend another few hundred to put it right and it’s a lovely car. It’s not for me but I was happy to view it for a lady on FB looking for one.
I saw that post on Facebook, hope she bought it. Very kind of you to go and look
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 10:50   #7
victorgte

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Ebay listing ended at 11:39 this morning. Who bought it?
Old 26th October 2019, 11:07   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Ebay listing ended at 11:39 this morning. Who bought it?
Between the dash, the wheels and the seats, you wouldnt lose money on it. (adding to your critique) There has been some work done to it with the front end - the bumper/wing gaps are different. But if the VIS motors were unplugged, I wonder if the air intake has been touched too, and may only need a nip up to help with the misfire?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote