Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st June 2016, 21:52   #21
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

Looks and sounds a great project.

I'd echo the comments made. Don't spend anything until you've done everything you can do to the car which costs nothing but your time. Do ensure the car is not rotten underneath first, because nothing ruins cars like sitting.

Hopefully it proves very saveable, as it sounds like a good car prior to being laid up!
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 22:05   #22
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Apart from the electrical gremlins it looks like a lovely car.

Don't be put off with cleaning the carpets, it's well worth the effort in removing it and giving it a good power wash. I've done a few in my time giving it a thorough cold wash to get rid of loose dirt then applying a carpet shampoo before a final rinse.
I placed mine inside the greenhouse to dry it out and they came up like new.

Also once the carpets are removed it gives you a chance to check out the interior floor pan etc and check for water leaks before refitting the carpet.

Good luck with the resto.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 22:12   #23
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Apart from the electrical gremlins it looks like a lovely car.

Don't be put off with cleaning the carpets, it's well worth the effort in removing it and giving it a good power wash. I've done a few in my time giving it a thorough cold wash to get rid of loose dirt then applying a carpet shampoo before a final rinse.
I placed mine inside the greenhouse to dry it out and they came up like new.

Also once the carpets are removed it gives you a chance to check out the interior floor pan etc and check for water leaks before refitting the carpet.

Good luck with the resto.

Last edited by Jim Jamieson; 21st June 2016 at 22:13.. Reason: Oops double entry
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 23:31   #24
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
Looks like a car with a lot of potential, Rick.
I suppose you just have to be methodical and go through it bit by bit. It'd be a shame to break it but, if it's not economical to repair then, what else can you do?
I shall watch with interest on what you decide

I know where there's a diesel 99/00 W reg 75 Club in Steel Blue that I can have for £150. Thing is, it needs new clutch/slave apparently The owner likes to tinker and has half removed gearbox but, got fed up with it and now wants it out of his way. I'm half tempted to buy it but, I really don't need another project but, I don't want to see it get scrapped
The car is in very good condition overall and the colour is lovely.
Sounds like a good project. Do your best to keep it together. Sounds like a car with lots of potential. Royal Blue too.

Paul - that car sounds like a bargain. Go for it.
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:29   #25
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys appreciate the input

First job on the list is to remove the seats and carpets and dry the interior out, leave it for a week to dry out and then see if any electrical faults have disappeared. I've already drained the boot out so that no longer has any water in it Will check all the earths in the footwells, I suspect the ones on the passenger side probably have quite a bit of corrosion.

On a positive note, yesterday I started up the car to move it a little, and the highline satnav screen turned on! The screen just stayed blue but it turned on so it's a start

Will try and get some photos up over the weekend if I get time to remove the carpets and hopefully get some photos of the underside.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:32   #26
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Good luck Rick, such an interesting thread.

I just couldn't believe the plenums were dry. Got me thinking you should check to make sure the rubber duckbill drains are still in place These may have had the ends clipped off which is fine, but I believe I am right in saying if they have been removed totally, water will get from the plenums into the car.

Just a thought. But it could explain at least, part of the dry plenum wet carpets issue?
Old 17th November 2016, 12:07   #27
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Default Been doing some work on the 75

Little update guys, finally got round to making a proper start on getting the 75 back on the road.

Stripped out the interior a few days ago to dry it out. The car had been sat in my garage for about 5 months now and thought the carpet had dried out during the hot months in the summer, oh how I was wrong. The carpet was dry, but the sponge underneath was still holding litres of water!

So got the karcher valeting machine out and sucked out all the water from the sponge and gave the carpet a good valet clean. Hopefully get round to getting the carpet back in today or tomorrow.

Surprisingly, the floor of the car is rust free. Since the carpets had been wet potentially for years, I was expecting a lot of rust, but luckily it's nice and clean

Then moved onto sorting out the brakes, all for discs and pads replaced, and also treated the calipers to a bit of dark blue hammerite paint to tidy them up. Also adjusted the handbrake so it's nice and tight now. Just need to bleed the brakes today.

The rear discs were heavily rusted, especially the offside rear which had broken into two pieces! the calipers seem to move ok though, gave the sliders a clean and some copper grease. Some before and after photos of the brakes:

Offside rear before:

Broken into 2 pieces:

After:

Offside front before:

After:

For the electrical issues, I've disconnected the two highline satnav drives in the spare wheel well as they need replacing due to water damage, but amazingly all the other electrics now work. Aircon, indicators, headlights, reverse sensors, drivers memory function, windscreen wash and even the headlamp wash. All things that weren't working when I first brought the 75 home

Still plenty to do though:
- bleed brakes
- service, so oil change, oil filter replacement, spark plugs, air filter.
- fit new abs sensor plug drivers front side
- fit new rear light seals and check for any other leaks
- sunroof drain mod as the drains are leaking
- clean and tidy engine bay
- bleed coolant system as currently it keeps pushing the coolant out when the caps left open
- refit interior
- then hopefully get her passed through an MOT

There are some bits I'll still require for this, so if anyone has these bits and willing to part with them cheaply let me know

- boot false floor
- rear seat back in sandstone single piped (just need the back rest and not the seat base)
- v6 engine cover
- I've got a set of Y spokes to put on the car, but would prefer to fit Serpents or Meteors to her (she originally came with Serpents but the scrappy that had her lost them )
- post MOT I'll need a replacement front bumper and bonnet in JFM royal blue as the current ones are scratched.

Cheers
Old 17th November 2016, 13:15   #28
Juego
Gets stuck in

Skoda Superb

Well done for saving it, definitely not a project for the faint hearted. Never understood why people leave cars to rot, my grandpa done it with his old Sierra and his old transit camper. The camper would be worth a fair bit of money now, very low miles, Sierra was a tank but it became a Base for a kit car, jump start started it right up though after years off the road.
Juego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 00:05   #29
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juego View Post
Well done for saving it, definitely not a project for the faint hearted. Never understood why people leave cars to rot, my grandpa done it with his old Sierra and his old transit camper. The camper would be worth a fair bit of money now, very low miles, Sierra was a tank but it became a Base for a kit car, jump start started it right up though after years off the road.
Cheers

Yeah it's a real shame, the original owner passed away and his wife held onto the car but just left it stood from what I'd been told. A real shame as it would have been a stunning car back in 2011. It originally had serpent wheels, only has around 80k miles on it and from what I can see most likely had full service history and had just had the belts done. Pretty much all the extras except for powerfolds, traction control and HK sound system. Even has a sunroof.

Hopefully fingers crossed she'll be back on the road soon
Old 18th November 2016, 00:21   #30
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm sure I've got a V6 engine cover in the loft you can have for the price of the postage if you want it
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote