Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th July 2016, 19:39   #1
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default Mended a rip in my Alcantara seat after a suggestion from SWMBO

My grey Alcantara drivers seat is seriously worn now after 13 years. I have got a nice second set that I shall be swapping the passenger seat base over when I get round to it but for now I decided to try to fix the rip in the base bolster.

I wish I had taken a photo of the rip now but I suspect we all know what a rip looks like on these seats when they get worn.

SWMBO suggested "hem tape" (she was watching "The Sowing Bee" at the time) and gave me a reel of it out of her "tool box".

It is a very thin material that melts when heated with an iron through a damp cloth. So I cut it into strips that fitted the space where the Alcantara had separated from the white base material.

Then with a bit of trepidation I carefully played jigsaw with the material to get it back to where it should be and made sure the "hem tape" was in position. I then laid the wet tea towel over the top and applied a hot iron for 8 seconds as per the instructions.

Lots of steam and sizzles and then I removed the now dry tea towel and Bingo!!! - one mended seat!

The repair is a 95% success with only a very small slither of the white under material still showing. The large 4 inch by 3 inch tear and loose material was well stuck back into place.

Quite a result and so easy I wished I had done it before when the rip was smaller
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc 05 Jul 2016 16:28.pdf (191.6 KB, 131 views)
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 20:03   #2
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Quite a result and so easy I wished I had done it before when the rip was smaller
That looks quite the effective repair, breathes a bit more life into it
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 20:49   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Super job and thanks for sharing, I'm going to carry out some testing.
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 22:01   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I used this for fixing the iron on patches to my mats. Works well, although it isnt the strongest, but I think that has more to do with the mats having a piled surface close to the old badge. I thought it would improve by using more than one layer. It doesnt, so dont waste the effort lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before and after5.jpg (101.3 KB, 29 views)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 06:57   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

What does seem to help is having a seriously "damp" over cloth - virtually wet I would suggest as it is the steam that has to travel through the material to melt the hem-tape.

SWMBO says she tried it once without a wet cloth and it was a disaster - just went into blobs. So the key seems to be plenty of water.

The thicker the material the more water I would suggest.

On the longevity front - I use my car everyday and did the repair two weeks ago and so far it is still as good as when I first did it
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 08:59   #6
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

That seems like a pretty good solution. Let's face it, alcantara isn't exactly the most resilient material in world and isn't easy to work with especially if it's seen some wear. I have the grey alcantara too but it's not the alcantara that's the problem. After 233k it's worn but intact, the leather is however badly worn and the vinyl sides are destroyed....... BOO!!! But I have a complete replacement set....... YAY!!!
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 12:31   #7
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I had a slight tear, about an inch or so, and a small wear hole, a parting of the alcantara from the leather on the bolster where it had worn. I used some adhesive for cloth and it worked perfectly. Put a little under the tear and pulled it together. Wiped off residue with a wet cloth and you can't see where it was done, so if its only a small rip this method may be easier.

Bob
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 20:59   #8
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
My grey Alcantara drivers seat is seriously worn now after 13 years. I have got a nice second set that I shall be swapping the passenger seat base over when I get round to it but for now I decided to try to fix the rip in the base bolster.

I wish I had taken a photo of the rip now but I suspect we all know what a rip looks like on these seats when they get worn.

SWMBO suggested "hem tape" (she was watching "The Sowing Bee" at the time) and gave me a reel of it out of her "tool box".

It is a very thin material that melts when heated with an iron through a damp cloth. So I cut it into strips that fitted the space where the Alcantara had separated from the white base material.

Then with a bit of trepidation I carefully played jigsaw with the material to get it back to where it should be and made sure the "hem tape" was in position. I then laid the wet tea towel over the top and applied a hot iron for 8 seconds as per the instructions.

Lots of steam and sizzles and then I removed the now dry tea towel and Bingo!!! - one mended seat!

The repair is a 95% success with only a very small slither of the white under material still showing. The large 4 inch by 3 inch tear and loose material was well stuck back into place.

Sounds like a How To in the making
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote