Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd June 2016, 21:33   #1
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Intravee or Amp Issue?

I'm a bit stuck as to where to go with this.....

I'm getting the following noise issue whenever I select the Intravee (I was also getting it with the CD Changer connected but not as bad), selecting the tape or radio is absolutely fine.

Take a quick listen if you want:

I was starting to think it was the BM54 flat pin, but, I've just tried a BM54 back which is doing exactly the same and if it was the amp, I'd expect it to do this regardless of which mode it was on?

So now I'm thinking some kind of interference on the cd changer side, which is worse when the intravee is used, rather than the cd unit?

As always, grateful for any assistance. Just for additional info, the intravee and associated bits are currently located in the glovebox in place of the now removed cd changer.
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 09:59   #2
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Still no further forward on this, grasping at straws a bit - I'm of the mind that it's not the amp, having tried 2 x BM24 (no inteference, but pretty much no sound at all) and 2 x BM54 (sound, but also the interference, slightly less so on the modified one).

Old 2nd July 2016, 11:04   #3
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Right - just tried updating the firmware on the intravee and it seemed to have a lot of errors, although it completed - I'm now wondering if the issue lies with this. The display isn't stable when the intravee is selected either, so that also makes me think it might be the culprit too.
Old 2nd July 2016, 16:24   #4
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

try spraying some contact cleaner on all your connections relating to intravee/c.d player. Does it make that sound with engine off?

Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2016, 21:43   #5
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Neil,

Tried cleaning the contacts, checked all the connections but still no joy.

All the testing done so far has been while static, no engine running. Moved the car today and left it selected as Intravee, and same result, but with the added joy of interference in the form of engine noise.

This is starting to do my head in somewhat
Old 3rd July 2016, 06:48   #6
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

I take it that you had the intravee in for a while and it has just started playing up? maybe an earthing issue?

Neil
Old 3rd July 2016, 18:43   #7
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Nope - bought second hand and fitted recently. I have actually managed to clear the engine noise interference (*I think*) by cleaning up the earth strap in the engine bay next to the alternator. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I go to work.

The latest suspicion I have, is that it is IBUS noise I'm hearing. So I'm wondering if relocating the intravee to the boot would help?

I also wondering that if I use the BM54 flat pin, would it be possible to splice into the adapter loom for all the wires I would need to hook up the intravee?

I hate mucking about with electrics & wiring as it's one area I just don't "get", so I'm still holding out for a simpler solution
Old 3rd July 2016, 21:00   #8
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Ah okay,

I originally had mine in the boot, basically cut plug off with a couple of inches (old man) of cable left on and fed some 5/6 core flex can`t remember (old man again)from front to back trying to avoid other cables. Not sure this will have any effect. is your unit an intravee or an intravee II might make a difference I don`t know. As far as I remember (old man again) no the c.d. wiring is seperate.

Neil
Old 5th July 2016, 19:05   #9
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Intravee II.

Cleaning up the earth strap helped a lot, but, still engine whine interference is still there. I put a cd changer back in, and it reduced further again, so I still need to check the earths and clean them further.

However, the Intravee display is still not stable, and I'm still getting what I think is IBUS noise.

I'm going to leave it disconnected for a while as I decide what to do - looking on various forums it seems some are more prone to this issue than others. I might just have to accept it and sell it on, revert back to a cd unit.

I'll investigate further, see what else I can discover. Not giving up just yet.
Old 5th July 2016, 19:22   #10
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTeeTee View Post
Intravee II.

Cleaning up the earth strap helped a lot, but, still engine whine interference is still there. I put a cd changer back in, and it reduced further again, so I still need to check the earths and clean them further.

However, the Intravee display is still not stable, and I'm still getting what I think is IBUS noise.

I'm going to leave it disconnected for a while as I decide what to do - looking on various forums it seems some are more prone to this issue than others. I might just have to accept it and sell it on, revert back to a cd unit.

I'll investigate further, see what else I can discover. Not giving up just yet.
I can definitely confirm that what you're hearing is iBus noise, due to the poor grouding of the CD-changer audio leads that run from the boot area to the glovebox.
I had the exact same issue with my Intravee setup in my launch car.
On the Intravee forums, hosted on some BMW board, the Intravee caretaker, RichardP, suggested that I relocate the Intravee to the boot area and connect it directly to the BM54. Which I did...and the ground noise disappeared altogether.