Notices

Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2018, 20:25   #21
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Once again I find myself nodding in full agreement Wraymond.

Particularly over point C / 3

People over 50 should not be given the vote!

It’s the same hubris that came out from the Remainers that those that voted for Brexit only did so because they were less well educated because only the ill-educated could possibly vote to leave.....

The arrogance!
Arrogance is believing you know better, I don't, I just don't think it's really up to me to decide either way when it's not me it will effect the most.

Last edited by mystabe; 7th March 2018 at 20:28..
Old 7th March 2018, 20:43   #22
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

So what about the populace who voted us in in the 70's do we apply the same criteria What was the age group which decided that it would be a good idea, & what of those who voted against You can't keep voting until you get the result you want, get over it. The British people have spoken, it's called Democracy
And this is why the forum discourages Political threads
Old 7th March 2018, 20:52   #23
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

lol I know, to be honest I just like poking the usual suspects really

However, to get back to my original point can we just get on with it now - whatever 'it' is going to be?
Old 7th March 2018, 20:58   #24
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
I 100% stand by my over 50 comment, it's not for us to decide something like this that will effect young people much more than it will us.

Disagree and call me all the names you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
So what about the populace who voted us in in the 70's do we apply the same criteria What was the age group which decided that it would be a good idea, & what of those who voted against You can't keep voting until you get the result you want, get over it. The British people have spoken, it's called Democracy
It's more of a case of the younger generations not voting rather than the older generations exercising their right to. While many younger members of the populus are politically engaged, the proportion of under 30s that voted during the referendum was lower than of the over 60s. This apathy determined the outcome of the referendum, and I am personally disappointed so many people did not exercise their right to vote at what was the most important vote in the last 40 years. At the time it was shown that, broadly speaking, the younger the voter, the more likely to vote remain. Sadly it is the younger generations that stand to be most effected by any detrimental effects of Brexit.
Old 7th March 2018, 21:15   #25
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
I 100% stand by my over 50 comment, it's not for us to decide something like this that will effect young people much more than it will us.

I have to agree with sentiment of the first part of your post Dave. IMHO the voting eligibility age should be between 15 and 60. I feel that 50 is too young as it is usually from the age of 60 upwards that people start to believe they have wisdom and experience when in reality often not.

The rest is the worrying bit - I am nearly 60 and, having agreed with you, I have disqualified myself from calling you names. Begger!

Quote:
Why not have a vote every five years as it will catch the changing moods of the populus? I believe it's quite common on some other matters.

Last edited by MSS; 7th March 2018 at 21:20..
Old 7th March 2018, 21:16   #26
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
One thing I will just say is the British people just said yes or no, everything else people say they have a mandate for is just supposition mostly based on their own point of view. The British people have never actually been asked what they actually want. Perhaps if they had we would be a lot further along in all this.

That is in no way meant to be political by the way.
Old 7th March 2018, 21:26   #27
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:

Amongst all those ifs, buts, maybes and half-truths there is one thing that is certain and which I will guarantee. I will never call you or anyone else anything other than what you would wish to be called!

I would never try to persuade anyone to change their mind but would hope that if they see a reasonable argument they at least think about, or even around, it.

I once posted at length on these boards about this issue (one has to be careful not to arouse the sleeping giant mod from his deserved slumber) in strong support of the status quo. As arguments emerged and were examined properly, I was alarmed to discover my change of heart and posted accordingly. Those posts are on record and easy to find!
Old 7th March 2018, 22:22   #28
hrissim
Gets stuck in

75 MK1 2.5 V6 Saloon

"No One is a Prophet in their Own Land"
The Bible
Old 8th March 2018, 04:41   #29
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:

No one has “called you names” - please don’t fabricate an insult where none existed.

But please think of the ludicrous consequences of what you propose! I could make an equally ludicrous proposal that just as we don’t allow people under the age of 18 to vote due to lack of experience - then people UNDER age 50 should not be allowed to vote on Brexit because the have no idea of what it was like before we joined the EEC - and certainly no idea at all about what the politicians within Europe have managed to morph a simple trading bloc into.

The EU is now a political construct rather than an “Economic Community”. I’d voted to join something very different in 1973. And became increasingly dismayed at the direction the EU is travelling in over the last few decades.

I voted leave due to my experience.
Old 8th March 2018, 06:15   #30
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Firstly, I do hope we can keep this thread civil because, this topic is around an historic event in our history.

While I believe that the referendum was influenced by many that it possibly won't affect in the longer run, people didn't actually vote with the knowledge they should have been furnished with prior. No political party put the pros and cons to the public in an open way. Just take for example the Gove and Johnson road show in their red bus.

The government will not be able to cherry pick the terms of Brexit as we are one country and the EU is 27 countries, almost all the institutions are predicting job losses, poorer living standards, lack of investment in the UK.

With an aging population we need EU workers many of whom work dam hard pay their taxes and contribute to our economy also, many of their ancestors fought along side us in WW2. Freedom of movement works both ways.

What we are creating in the UK is a zero hour contracts, bob a job mentality without long term security for workers. I for one can't buy in to the low unemployment figures on that basis

I'm not politically minded I consider most of them in all parties to be duplicitous to say the least, I would prefer my children to have the choice of free movement within Europe.
Closed Thread