Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th November 2019, 11:44   #1
DaylightRovery
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Afternoon all. Just done the renault thermostat mod on my cdti facelift. Didn't think I'de need to take the inlet manifold off but hey hum!. I noticed the inlet ports had about 2 - 3mm of black crud aroind the edges. Is this from the pcv filter recirculating the crank air??
Didnt wanna prod and clean incase it dropped into the cylinders or NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- a valve up etc.
Anyjow moving on. The thing still smoking like a trooper, blackish brown when turbo kicks in. Ive done pcv filter, o rings and sercice so im wondering if the injectors could be at fault? the only new ones I've found are 150 smackers each!!.
Could a TerraClean do the trick?

Hope yas are all good. Cheers
DaylightRovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 13:03   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightRovery View Post
Afternoon all. Just done the renault thermostat mod on my cdti facelift. Didn't think I'de need to take the inlet manifold off but hey hum!. I noticed the inlet ports had about 2 - 3mm of black crud aroind the edges. Is this from the pcv filter recirculating the crank air??
Didnt wanna prod and clean incase it dropped into the cylinders or NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- a valve up etc.
Anyjow moving on. The thing still smoking like a trooper, blackish brown when turbo kicks in. Ive done pcv filter, o rings and sercice so im wondering if the injectors could be at fault? the only new ones I've found are 150 smackers each!!.
Could a TerraClean do the trick?

Hope yas are all good. Cheers

for injectors try mickeyboy a trader here. have you tried injector cleaner

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 20:08   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
I noticed the inlet ports had about 2 - 3mm of black crud aroind the edges. Is this from the pcv filter recirculating the crank air??

No the PCV vents off excess crank pressure to the inlet side of the turbocharger to be burnt off, it is the EGR system that recirculates exhaust gas back into the inlet manifold.

As mentioned try a decent injector cleaner - Forte is recommended on here, and also worth replacing the PCV element if it hasn't been done along with the air filter.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 21:36   #4
DaylightRovery
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
No the PCV vents off excess crank pressure to the inlet side of the turbocharger to be burnt off, it is the EGR system that recirculates exhaust gas back into the inlet manifold.

As mentioned try a decent injector cleaner - Forte is recommended on here, and also worth replacing the PCV element if it hasn't been done along with the air filter.
Have tried SeaFoam which isn't specificaly an injector cleaner, more of an all rounder. at £15 a bottle it helped performance a bit but smoke soon returned. Have replaced the pcv filter.
DaylightRovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 21:54   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Have tried SeaFoam which isn't specificaly an injector cleaner, more of an all rounder. at £15 a bottle it helped performance a bit but smoke soon returned. Have replaced the pcv filter.
Replace the fuel filter, fill with forte injector cleaner, start car up and run for ten to twenty seconds, and then leave overnight. Take it for an italian tune up the next day, and if that doesnt improve things, check the injector readings. T4 is best, however one of the version of TOAF allows for live readings (I cannot remember which, but it will give an indication if any are bad or at least how bad they are).

As mentioned, Mickeyboy is your man for replacement injectors, he tests them before supplying. He is one of the good guys.

Another thing to check, is the intercooler O rings. You mention replacing o rings, and I assume them to be these. However, when I did mine, I did it with the bumper and headlight in place. A couple of years later, I had to remove the headlight and bumper for another reason, and the gunk around the elbow area was surprising. With the headlight out, and the area cleaned up, I refitted the elbow again, and was able to push it home, only this time I was able to hear and feel the 'thunk' that everyone had spoken of previously. If on replacing the o rings, you didnt get that 'thunk' I would suggest checking that it is fully home.

EGR is a possible issue for smoke, and if your inlet is as bad as you say, there is a good chance that the EGR is pretty bad too.

Check the last two items out first (EGR and o ring 'thunk'), before spending any further monies, as these are free.

Look for oil around the turbo too, hopefully no leakage but whilst it is unlikely and just as uncommon, it is another potential source of smoking. Dirty/blocked air filter too.

Your issue could well be a combination of all of the above. Do the free things first, as they will only do good anyway.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 9th November 2019 at 21:57..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote