Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd June 2016, 06:02   #11
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Good morning Jeff, I use a U/V filter on the Canon and a polarizing circular on the Nikon mostly because we are at high altitude 2,000m and on the equator. However, a few days ago the Canon SX 40HS fell onto rocks and the U/V filter was smashed to pieces with the lens barrel dented. The camera is still working mostly. Filters do give protection.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 07:34   #12
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

I use Kood 100mm ND grad drop in filters with a Lee frame. The filters don't give as noticeably blue hue like Lee filters do and are a little warmer. They're also cheaper. I have both hard and soft grad sets.

I do however, use a Lee 10 stop filter and also have a screw on 10 stopper too (not sure of the make, I think it's a Cokin)
I'd definitely recommend investing in the Lee frame. It's much more robust and adaptable than any others I've used, well worth the money in the long run and doesn't give any vignetting with my 10mm lens.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 10:04   #13
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good morning Jeff, I use a U/V filter on the Canon and a polarizing circular on the Nikon mostly because we are at high altitude 2,000m and on the equator. However, a few days ago the Canon SX 40HS fell onto rocks and the U/V filter was smashed to pieces with the lens barrel dented. The camera is still working mostly. Filters do give protection.
Hi Phil,

Having had a filter struck by a flung stone from a car wheel before I'm very much in the keep 'em on camp

On my 16-35L wide angle the front element moves fore and aft within the lens barrel so the filter being on the front fully weather seals it as well.

I agree what Alan says though, that there are times when it is good to remove them if only for putting different filters on

Quote:
Originally Posted by freck View Post
I use Kood 100mm ND grad drop in filters with a Lee frame. The filters don't give as noticeably blue hue like Lee filters do and are a little warmer. They're also cheaper. I have both hard and soft grad sets.

I do however, use a Lee 10 stop filter and also have a screw on 10 stopper too (not sure of the make, I think it's a Cokin)
I'd definitely recommend investing in the Lee frame. It's much more robust and adaptable than any others I've used, well worth the money in the long run and doesn't give any vignetting with my 10mm lens.
Hi Steve,

I've looked at the foundation kits that Lee do and I think I'm going to put it on my Christmas list for Santa to bring me.

They certainly aren't cheap but there is an offer out there for 10% discount for camera club members, I'll take advantage of that
Old 2nd June 2016, 13:49   #14
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Hi Phil,

Having had a filter struck by a flung stone from a car wheel before I'm very much in the keep 'em on camp

On my 16-35L wide angle the front element moves fore and aft within the lens barrel so the filter being on the front fully weather seals it as well.

I agree what Alan says though, that there are times when it is good to remove them if only for putting different filters on
Following the blow to the camera, its lens is locked into 'super vivid, super colour'. I tried to do a reset to a default state without any luck, plus removing the battery. A pain to have to take the saturation out of every photo, so please do bear with me, until I either get the camera repaired or consider an upgrade on my return to the UK I agree with the choice about removing the filter and doing the shot without.
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:00   #15
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Following the blow to the camera, its lens is locked into 'super vivid, super colour'. I tried to do a reset to a default state without any luck, plus removing the battery. A pain to have to take the saturation out of every photo, so please do bear with me, until I either get the camera repaired or consider an upgrade on my return to the UK I agree with the choice about removing the filter and doing the shot without.
There is an approved Canon repair centre in Colchester Phil.

Maybe worth giving them a call on your return

01206 843322

http://camera-repair.co.uk/
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:20   #16
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Being locked into super vivid /colour setting indicates a software issue rather than a hardware issue. It is possible that the fall has caused an internal component to fail somehow.

I would suggest reinstalling the firmware with a clean formatted card.

I cannot find it using my phone, but go to Canon's website, into the support section. Locate your camera and it should offer the latest firmware.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:16   #17
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Being locked into super vivid /colour setting indicates a software issue rather than a hardware issue. It is possible that the fall has caused an internal component to fail somehow.

I would suggest reinstalling the firmware with a clean formatted card.

I cannot find it using my phone, but go to Canon's website, into the support section. Locate your camera and it should offer the latest firmware.
Thanks Alan for that. I will try this out tomorrow
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:17   #18
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
There is an approved Canon repair centre in Colchester Phil.

Maybe worth giving them a call on your return

01206 843322

http://camera-repair.co.uk/
Thanks Jeff
Old 3rd June 2016, 01:16   #19
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Alan for that. I will try this out tomorrow
I have had a look for the firmware, and it seems there are no updates for your camera. I am struggling to find any sources for it, however, there is a 'hack' for Canon cameras, that has been around for quite a few years, which may help. Called CHDK, it runs alongside the firmware, on the memory card - nothing is changed on your camera, remove the card and it is gone.

It opens up a lot of functionality on your camera, like RAW files, or superfine jpegs.

Some info on firmware updates

CHDK for SX40 - it also adds functionality to most Canon compact cameras.

YouTube Walkthrough

FAQs

locked into the super vivid mode, after reading some more about it, suggests that there may be an issue with the mode dial, perhaps. Without having a fiddle with it, I cant really guess much more. From reading those questions, it seems that the Vivid mode is selected in certain modes only, and it is possible that this has been affected.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 3rd June 2016 at 01:27..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2016, 04:43   #20
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanks Alan for the above. I had a good read yesterday of all of the links. I used the Canon Hack method you referred to and amazingly it worked!!!

Everything is back to normal. You saved me spending out on repairs.

Thank you for going the extra mile in sourcing the research and links