Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th February 2020, 18:49   #41
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I had a so called 'quality brand' Borg and Beck slave fail within a few thousand miles of being fitted.

I'm trying to think of a way to publicise poor quality parts. Perhaps ebay listings for failed parts stating ' doesn't do what it says on the tin! '
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 19:04   #42
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
I had a so called 'quality brand' Borg and Beck slave fail within a few thousand miles of being fitted.

I'm trying to think of a way to publicise poor quality parts. Perhaps ebay listings for failed parts stating ' doesn't do what it says on the tin! '
Mine was an OEM-Q part from one of the traders on here, about a thousand miles it lasted, its replacement is an LUK

Excellent idea on publicising it, we need a motorist's version of Trustpilot or trip advisor
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 20:40   #43
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Probably arrive now with coronavirus attached.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 22:25   #44
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Hi all,

I did get to speak to LUK technical this afternoon, and had written quite a piece about what myself and a very nice and helpful gentleman called Andy discussed at some length, but, when I came to hit the button to post, it all disappeared!
I'm very annoyed, as I had tried my best to explain in detail what our conversation involved, but it's all gone!

So, I will try again, and keep posting and then editing it, so anyone reading will get so far and wonder why the heck it stops every so often,

Just thought I'd pop this post in to explain!

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 22:32   #45
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

OK.

I apologise if my spelling and grammar aren't fantastic, but I hope you will forgive that and I hope this will be of some help to some of us here on this excellent forum!
I will also stress, this isn't a "cure" it isn't a magic answer, it's as best as I can put into writing the key points of the conversation between me and Andy from LUK technical this afternoon.
Feel free to disagree, but I do honesty believe Andy has tried his best and given me honest advice on possible issues which may bring about premature failure to the concentric slave cylinder in our cars.

Old 26th February 2020, 22:41   #46
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

OK.

So, I phoned LUK technical this afternoon and spoke to a guy called Andy.
He is very experienced and has worked for LUK for many years. I dont know how many years, but he's not some 20 something wet behind the ears guy, he's in his 60's and has a great wealth of knowledge.

So, I explained my own personal quandary. I told him about my very heavy clutch pedal, so heavy I cant live with it. It's painful to drive the car in traffic. That's how bad it is, and I'm not exaggerating, the pedal feels more like the pressure to press a brake pedal than a clutch.

I explained that I'm very concerned about premature failure's especially with the diesel 75's but not exclusively, and several members on here have talked about only a few thousand miles before the concentric slave cylinder has burst.
I asked if there was anything in their technical archive that might suggest a problem, and he checked for me.

He first of all checked to see if there was any bulletins on either the concentric slave or the master cylinders, anything to watch out for, but LUK has nothing on record.
I had him check for recorded failures on this vehicle, and, believe it or not, no recorded failures.
Now before everyone starts to jump up and down, like almost all companies, and even governments, institutes, recording medical issues, etc, there is a criteria for statistics to be recorded. SO, if a particular failure IS reported, but it is deemed to be human error then it wont actually be recorded.

Just a quick example.
I don't know if this is still the case, but, if someone who has a heart attack is over the age of 65, then it isn't recorded on the NHS statistics. The reason being is that at that age organs are reaching their less than optimal condition.
So, if a car had covered 100,000 miles and the clutch failed, that's down to wear and tear. Not down to a faulty product.

Ok.
So, the concentric slave is provided "primed". I.e. you are not expected to bleed the clutch when you fit a new concentric slave. It has a quick fit / release pipe which somehow is supposed to eliminate any air contamination. So there are NO special notes on bleeding the clutch at all.
The same applies to the master cylinder.

We then got onto talking about the criteria for deciding if a dual mass flywheel needs replacing, we spoke about free play in the unit, the degrees of rotation, then the lateral movement, ( DTI gauge is needed for this ) but I digress, not really to do with failure of the CSC ( Concentric Slave Cylinder ). I asked the question could the DMF bring about the premature failure of the CSC, that is a long answer in itself, but for our purposes with clutches which have done very little mileage, just for this we'll say no. Though this isn't exactly true.

So, what could be the issue then?
"Quality of parts! Made in some 3rd world country" might well be the reply, that MAY be true, but I have no proof of that.

What follows next is conjecture, yes, but it is based on Andy's long serving with LUK, his experience on all makes and models, what he has come across, what he has found to be the fault with other vehicles.
I am not saying this is what the problem is, please don't misunderstand.

So, let me explain.

Lets take the clutch master cylinder.
This is a theory.
The master cylinder most of the time wont be replaced.
Brake and clutch fluid is corrosive to many substances, and one of those things is actually the rubber seals in which it is in constant contact with. This is why ( one of the reasons ) brake / clutch fluid will turn dark in colour, because it is slowly dissolving the seals. It also can turn sort of a soapy consistency, and you end up with "lumpy" bits in the system.
So, potentially you may have a new slave cylinder with nice new fluid, which comes pre primed, but when you hook it up to the master cylinder, which is a nightmare to even find, let alone fill, replace etc, you are connecting it up to bad fluid.
Now the fluid in the clutch system actually is a "working" fluid in the motion sense. When you press the pedal the fluid flows and pushes the CSC to operate the clutch.
It wont be long before the bad fluid has mixed with the new and you could get a problem with contaminates damaging the seal, causing it to leak, and hey presto, no clutch!

The potential answer here is to either bleed the clutch BEFORE the new CSC is fitted, so any contaminates are removed from the system before the new slave is fitted, or....
Fit a new master cylinder, which makes an expensive job even more expensive.

Second theory.
The CSC isn't bolted into the gearbox as such. It sits on a guide tube, so if the guide tube has wear on it, then the slave cylinder will be pushing slightly at an angle. This could quite easily cause premature failure of the CSC.

Third theory.
I'm not too sure on this one, but, this may be true for some vehicles on the road, not so sure for ours.
The bushes that hold the actual clutch pedal at the proper spacing and angle when mounted in the pedal box.
If the bushes are worn, then the pedal will be very slightly moving at the wrong angle, which will put undue pressure on other components.
This MAY make the clutch pedal hard to press. But as to premature failure of the CSC I don't believe so. Hydraulics where designed to move things at any angle, where a cable operated clutch has to have a "kind" path to follow.
This is more about a heavy clutch pedal.

To sum up.

There may not actually be one culprit. It may be a mixture of a few things, even things not mentioned above.

But, a car which in case of most diesel 75's are normally on the higher mileage side of things, which has a high potential for other components to be worn as well, when presented with new components fitted onto parts which have become worn, which means they no longer operate in the same place ( angle ) in which they where intended,
i.e. the CSC running at a slight angle because of a worn guide tube, then coupled with a potential contaminated fluid situation from the master cylinder, plus other factors, it's the what has caused the CSC to fail, not it's a badly made / produced / bad materials CSC that's the issue.
If a part has to break it will be the weakest link.

Last edited by Odd Job; 26th February 2020 at 23:38.. Reason: long post
Old 26th February 2020, 23:09   #47
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Thank you ODD JOB. Interesting. Is there more to come ??--

PS.. I've lost some posts too. Very annoying.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 23:43   #48
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

OK.

It's late, I still have a little bit to put, but it can wait.
I haven't read through what I've put, so if it turns out to be gibberish I will do my best to amend later.

Please remember, like I said right at the beginning that it's not an answer, it outlines my conversation with Andy at LUK.

It offer's I hope, a couple of things for us to think about when we have a clutch changed.
I know I have decided to spend more on my ZT and hopefully get a reliable clutch, but I will be checking a few extra things, and the clutch will be bled before I get the clutch changed.

I hope to message tomorrow, after my boss has given me a verbal for talking to LUK for nearly 45 mins this afternoon!
Thanks for readying, I hope you do read it rather than see the length of the post and think " stuff that!"

Many thanks

Richard

Last edited by Odd Job; 26th February 2020 at 23:46..
Old 27th February 2020, 13:12   #49
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

All I can say about LUK's suggestions does not relate at all to my experiences.

The whole system was renewed Master, Slave, Clutch and DMF, so no old contaminated fluid or worn parts still left. The clutch was not heavy at all, in fact very much as expected. The master failed in 13 months with 3000 miles covered leaking fluid all over my carpets on the way to a club meet. Trikey, who fitted the clutch was there, he checked it out and the master had failed. It was replaced by Andy Willy at my house because he was closer and the car was immobile. I suffer with a back issue and it was just impossible for me to do it myself with it being in such a stupid position. It was replaced with another LUK as Andy said it did not matter what you fitted they all are dodgy. The whole system was bled through and clean fluid expelled.

The slave then failed about 3000 miles later.

I'm convinced its down to the quality of the parts used as it seems to be a problem not confined to one manufacturer. Posts in this thread and others mention that all the manufacturers products prematurely fail including Tazo. The quality of the parts are no longer controlled by the car makers and anything goes. WE want parts to be as cheap as possible so they are made as cheap as possible. I own classics and the problem getting good reliable parts that last is now very hard. Numbers that need to be produced lead to high prices if you want quality and reliability. In general owners will not pay those prices so we get C%&p and this is what is happening now with MGRs
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2020, 21:46   #50
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

agree with robson, thanks oddjob for your efforts on our behalf. After 2 complete ( both cylinders and plates ) replacements and hours of bleeding it looks like I might have a useable car. only 30 miles covered so early days. Must admit to being very nervous driving very far from my mechanics workshop tho.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote