Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2016, 11:19   #1
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Default LED Lights

I'd like to change my rear lights from filament bulbs to LED ones, but I keep seeing phrases like 'not suitable for newer vehicles which require canbus bulbs' when looking at online listings. I looked into things a bit further but found conflicting opinions - some people say you do need them while others say it's just a way to squeeze more money out of customers with higher prices.

Personally I wouldn't know a canbus if it sneaked up behind me and dug me in the ribs, so I'm hoping someone will know if our cars need these bulbs or whether 'standard' LEDs will do the job.

Thanks

Andrew
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 11:34   #2
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Get them from CREE direct or via the BAY, All my rear light's are led but the tail bulb's do have inline resistors (very easy to fit) had no issues in over a year and look much better. Good luck.
Lee.
Old 24th July 2016, 11:51   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsailor View Post
I'd like to change my rear lights from filament bulbs to LED ones, but I keep seeing phrases like 'not suitable for newer vehicles which require canbus bulbs' when looking at online listings. I looked into things a bit further but found conflicting opinions - some people say you do need them while others say it's just a way to squeeze more money out of customers with higher prices.

Personally I wouldn't know a canbus if it sneaked up behind me and dug me in the ribs, so I'm hoping someone will know if our cars need these bulbs or whether 'standard' LEDs will do the job.

Thanks

Andrew
the people who say you dont need them, dont have a car with canbus compliant lighting. The canbus relies on a certain level of current being drawn. An LED uses less current on a bulb, which then the canbus assumes to be blown because they use less current. The other way around using non compliant bulbs is to solder in a resistor again to fool the canbus system. So technically you do NOT need compliant bulbs, but you will need to have a system in place to fool the bulb warning system.

On the whole, it is simply easier to install canbus compliant LED.

Buy good quality bulbs, unfortunately I cannot recommend any though (others will be able to lol). I have only used some inside my car, and on my sidelights. The sidelight ones however have begun to flicker on a couple of LED. ie they are failing - so I cant recommend them lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 12:02   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

The only places you can fit led's without canbus issues are the front fogs, reversing lights, side repeaters, the others need to be canbus friendly or, as said, fit a resistor to each bulb. Also, if fitting to indicators, you need a resistor to allow normal flash rate, otherwise they just flash too quickly
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 15:32   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

As a DIY project, it's cheaper in terms of hard cash and fuel useage to fit 'CANbus friendly' LEDs rather than make a cheaper LED CANbus compliant by using ballast resistors. And there's no wiring to add. Basically they're plug'n'play. However - front and rear indicators do need whacking great power resistors unfortuntely (50watts per side) to make LEDs flash at the correct rate. The Chinese have revolutionised the LED market, but it's a problem they haven't yet solved.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 17:51   #6
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Thanks to everyone for the advice, much appreciated. I shall mull over the options and (eventually) make a choice. Think I might just do the tail, stop and reversing lights for the time being though as the indicators and rear fogs get very limited use anyway.
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote