Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th December 2012, 08:11   #1
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Default Show us yer film shots!

Noticed i'm not the only one who enjoys the conventional method of the painstakingly meticulous process of creating images using nothing more than a camera, a lens and a roll of film, knowing everytime you press the button it's cost you 20p.
So I thought i'd make a thread for all the purists

I shoot with a mixture of Olympus OM bodies from the 70s, a Mamiya RB67 Pro and my favourite weapon of choice my trusty Canon EOS 3. I tend to shoot industrial decay with film as the textures give it a realistic effect.
Here's a few:

My favourite is this Nissan 350Z I stumbled upon while in Sheffield, the sleek design of a modern sports car against a backdrop of a decayed and forgotten industrial age was too good to miss.

Last edited by Canonite; 14th December 2012 at 08:21..
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 09:52   #2
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Very atmospheric Alan, thanks for sharing them with us .

My younger daughter is also a great user of 35mm film stock plus out of date polaroid. In fact I can't remember when she last used one of her digital camera's tends to prefer her 35mm SLR's, she's just started using colour stock again after an obsession with black & white.

Doubt she'll let me post any of her images as she's rather critical of her work.
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 10:06   #3
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
Noticed i'm not the only one who enjoys the conventional method of the painstakingly meticulous process of creating images using nothing more than a camera, a lens and a roll of film, knowing everytime you press the button it's cost you 20p.
So I thought i'd make a thread for all the purists

I shoot with a mixture of Olympus OM bodies from the 70s, a Mamiya RB67 Pro and my favourite weapon of choice my trusty Canon EOS 3. I tend to shoot industrial decay with film as the textures give it a realistic effect.
I've still got my East German Practika MTL5B in the attic with a box full of lenses - there are times when I am tempted to resurrect it!
Your pix are SUPERB - quite eerie !
Have you ever looked at the Urban Ghosts website? (http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/) - they too publish loads of photos on the subject of urban decay, as well as abandoned transportation of all types - there's no doubt some of yours should be on there :xmas-smiley-029:

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 12:43   #4
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Thanks chaps. The problem I find with digital is that you see results instantly and if its rubbish you delete it, you cant do that with film as you have to wait until it's developed before seeing the results so you have to think about each shot and if everything is in its place. The modern cameras do just about everything for you anyway so all the user is doing is pressing a button.
The other problem I have with digital is that it's too clean, the sensor can't replicate the textures of rotting wood and stonework in a way film does.

Most of the exploration stuff I do is urbex related and most of it destined for demolition, nobody ever sees the other side of the Herras fencing, just the visual blight on the landscape. While digital is good for the majority of it you just can't beat shooting with film to capture the details of a place.

I think most people are very critical of something they've produced.

Last edited by Canonite; 14th December 2012 at 12:51..
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 13:34   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
I've still got my East German Practika MTL5B in the attic with a box full of lenses
I'm even worse, Practica BX20 with motor drive, BCA as spare body, two flashes, 6 or 7 lenses, teleconverter, light meter all lying in a box, haven't been used for years. No point trying to sell them, might get enough for a pint! In addition to that have stuff I can use with the 400D, filters (bought a new mounting ring), two tripods. One of the flashes is allegedly "compatible" with the 400D but haven't fathomed out how yet, too much faffing about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
The problem I find with digital is that you see results instantly and if its rubbish you delete it
Agree, digital is good but it's too convenient, nobody takes a bad picture now. The holiday snaps with missing heads, half of auntie Mags at the side of the shot! Screwed up exposure that looks like you pictured the flare from a nuclear explosion!

My aunt/uncle used to be pro photographers owning their own studio. I would ask my uncle things about photography but gave up, he had this special way of explaining things that left you with less idea than you had before he started!

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 14th December 2012 at 13:53..
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 02:36   #6
cargocar
Gets stuck in

rover 75 tourer auto 2001

Fav pic is the Barnsley shop showing the cabble stones and rail line still there.
Digital's much better for me as i dont have the time to compose a photo, and my subject's are not the best anyway.
Most of the shots are 'just for the record', picture quality is only reasonable, 'interesting' the best photo's i can produce.
cargocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 17:57   #7
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

I agree the photos are so atmospheric ans so the decay in society so well me I have several minolta bodies XE-5 SRT1 andcouple of others many lenses including a 1.8 lump !!! I also have digitsl cameras one DSLR and a bridge nikon which for every day photography are fine I still have a dark room so maybe I should buy some black and white fim and visit some old haunts

Mike
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 18:01   #8
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

Default just a view of the kathleen and may

here is a pic I took of her in bideford harbour 3 years ago and aged using the tools in photoscape hope people find it believable

Attached Images
File Type: jpg in port.jpg (139.2 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Dragrad; 3rd February 2013 at 22:13.. Reason: Pic enlarged
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 20:22   #9
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I have 4 film bodys and just a few weeks ago bought some film for myself and my 12 year old Son to use. He has a digital bridge camera but he needs to experiance the wait of the roll being developed Just not had the time yet

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 21:58   #10
bongi69
Gets stuck in

75 Connoissuer 2.0 CDT AKA Josie

Santa is apparently, maybe, hopefully bringing me a negative scanner so I can digitize all my 35mm work, mainly just for sharing purposes like this thread.

Apart from the 400d I have a Canon AE-1 with the 50mm f1.8 lens and a 100-200mm telephoto in the old style FD mounts, and a Canon EOS 650 with the ef mount.

What amazes me is the speedlight I bought for the 400d actually triggers with the AE-1, albeit setting it manually. Annoyingly the only lens I have that works with the 650 is a sigma 70-200mm f2.8 macro lens that weighs a ton so can be unweidly at times. On the look out for a decent 50mm EF lens to use with it instead...

I've only been messing with 35mm for the last 18 months or so, and I already prefer it over the digital for intimate shots, or using B&W neopan for shots where I want good detail. I'd love to show off but need the negative scanner (please santa!):xmas-smiley-029:

Recent stats from my euro road trip: 1605 miles driven through 5 different countries, 160.7 litres of diesel used giving an MPG of 47.1. Total diesel cost €222, €0.13 per mile
bongi69 is offline   Reply With Quote