Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th May 2023, 18:53   #21
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Can I ask, did Chris at Retro Sports cars pressure test the thermostat housing on its own off the car?
To be honest I didn't ask specifically how he had done the test, but he did show me exactly where the seam on the housing had failed on the old thermostat, suggesting it wasn't a case of assuming due to coolant settling there.

I suppose the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, if we have another leak within a short time. I took Chris at his word though, as he is recommended by a lot of members and knows his way around the V6 and MGR cars more widely.
TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2023, 19:25   #22
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

My spsre car had obviously been leaking for years. When I removed the thermostat etc I found the end of the pipe at the water pump end had the end cracked off beyond the O ring, the themostat housing into the block was in the same state. The only good seal was the other pipe into the block but of course this left its spigot seized in the block when eventually removed. Major clean up of the area required, unfortunately I cannot undo the bolts hold the knock sensors so will have to work around them.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2023, 19:28   #23
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTheTyke View Post
To be honest I didn't ask specifically how he had done the test, but he did show me exactly where the seam on the housing had failed on the old thermostat, suggesting it wasn't a case of assuming due to coolant settling there.

I suppose the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, if we have another leak within a short time. I took Chris at his word though, as he is recommended by a lot of members and knows his way around the V6 and MGR cars more widely.
I didn't mean to sound as if I was doubting Chris' work, just curious.

Like you say, the main thing is the fix works.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote