Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th May 2012, 13:56   #21
holmroad

MG ZT 190

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfive View Post
Hi Mate
When these jam (if thats your problem)it's usualy because there are two discs trying to load at the same time.
It's easy to remove undo the two nuts and unplug it stand it on end with the cartidge downwards and gently tap it & the discs usualy drops back into place..
Hope this helps
Ian
Thanks Ian, but I do feel the cogs may be jamming due to lack of lubricant from over a few years as others have reported and all I really wanted to know is for an easy way to get at introducing some lubricant into it!
holmroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 08:04   #22
maxtherotti
Gets stuck in

mg zt-t 190 se, mg zs 180 saloon

This may be my problem
will rip it out and have a look later
Old 5th December 2012, 09:14   #23
r.t.swing
Regular poster

Rover 75

Great thread, got mine out opened only to find the DRIVE COG in the pictures stripped. But I now have a ebay one for £45 and of course I now have two cassettes.
r.t.swing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 14:46   #24
Drewski
Loves to post

2002 CDT Connie SE Tourer

Thanks OP, I can once again listen to CDs on the move. I'm keeping the repair a secret so my son still can't play his rubbish CDs
Drewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 16:55   #25
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Usually start mine again with the whack on the side method but after seeing this if it happens again it will be an out of the car and dismantle job, once again a member on the forum comes to the rescue
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 12:48   #26
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Default Big help .... thanks

Bartonrover

I found your (this) old thread which has been a big help. Many thanks.

My glovebox based unit was showing the No Disc message and had been exhibiting the same symptoms - ie. unit trying to pull out and check each CD tray but failing.

As it turned out, mine just appeared to be a case of everything a "bit stiff" rather than cogs becoming unmeshed like yours had.

I found manually encouraging my unit to pull the CD trays out was REALLY stiff. Manually pushing the mechanism back the other way was a bit easier.

So I dabbed very small amounts of Sewing Machine oil, using a cotton bud soaked in it, onto "your" cogs, plus other moving bits and then kept manually operating it until it felt a bit looser.

Connected back into the car (minus cover, and in the footwell rather than fully installed in the glovebox) and watched the mechanism happily pull out all the trays and started playing the first CD.

Repeated the check a few times .... and it failed again!

So.... back indoors, more manual operation, a couple more dabs of oil and more manual operations.

Now it's back in the car and working great! Touch wood.....

So ..... thanks again!

John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 13:37   #27
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default CD Check

My cassette was jammed and not coming out. Error message "CD Check". I spent 2 hours messing about with it and made no progress. changer out. top cover off. Lube applied in all sorts of places. The carrier moved and went up but it would not push the CD back into the tray. Zilch nothing. The gear on the top was in a position where the switch interlock was holding it in place. I could not turn it by hand.

Then I watched this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO--7A3mACM
Left index finger on the green button. 4 Oz pin hammer in the right hand two strikes and it was out. A bit more lube in various other places as it cycled back and forth and hey presto all is well in the world.
Sorted in 5 minutes.
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2017, 17:43   #28
graham clarke

Rover 75

Default jammed cd player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartonrover View Post
Searched on this forum and there's plenty about the sticking or jammimg CD cartridge and how to remove the player from the glovebox.

However my problem with my Alpine player was that the cartridge would eject - but it would not play and kept reading "No CD". I could hear it clicking and trying to read the CDs but to no avail. I tried a spare working cartridge - still no good. I searched the forums and found 4 other posts with apparently the same problem - and "helpful" advice about the sticking cartridge or even spraying the innards with WD40 - but no-one appeared to report that they had solved the problem.

Firstly, anyone with a CD player problem is advised to remove it, take off the top casing, then reconnect in the footwell of the car with the innards open for inspection. (Naturally, BEWARE THE EXPOSED LASER). Watching what is or isn't happening can be very revealing.

It showed that the machine was trying to read each CD by rising up and down the cartridge CD by CD - but couldn't pull the CDs across to the player.

The big cog (Photo 4) which is revealed when the lid is off can usually be turned by hand (eg to release a sticking cartridge) but mine had seized solid. And the car has done only 27k... .

THE FAULT - was simply a drive cog (its on the end of the spindle that meshes with the big cog in Photo 4) that was not meshing with its worm drive (see Photo 8 - sorry the photo is taken after the problem has been rectified - note there is plenty of lubricant around the mechhanism too!). To check this drive cog on the other side (underneath) of the player meant releasing if from the chassis by removing the floating suspension rubber bungs

The worm had somehow risen on top of the cog it was supposed to be meshing with - and just would not budge. You'd think any vibration would have made it reseat properly (but no) - all it took to rectify was a slight nudge with the tip of a screwdriver and heypresto - all working as it should. I have to say that both son and I thought the motor "B" had packed up - until his sharp eyes spotted what might just be a fault that others have experienced?

Push out the gel/rubber bungs and disconnect the springs - watch out as this can fly away - moving it first to the position shown below reduces a lot of the tension. (Long nosed pliers are useful for reconnecting).

barton rover
Thanks for your comprehensive analysis of the CD player problem that seems to be quite common. using this and the link to 'Sergei' I now have a working CD again.
graham clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2018, 10:09   #29
Beedge144

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile Problem solved

Thanks for this info - just taken my changer apart, and although I couldn't really see a problem with that worm gear on my unit, with a little gentle digital persuasion it was definitely meshing, and so I put it all back together again and it all works perfectly

Just got to order up a new head unit an pop that in
Beedge144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 12:16   #30
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

My cd changer in recently bought Tourer had gremlins in it when I got it. It would work ok for a while then would cycle through the cd check procedure only to say No Discs even though there were six discs in it !
The old thump on the case worked a couple of times but when that didn't work the next time I took the cover off and gave the mechanism inside a thump. That got it working for a while only for it to stop working again.
So this time took casing off,loosened the whole mechanism from the case,checked for any loose connections etc,none found,so gave it a damn good blast with the airline,put it back together again and,touch wood,it's been working flawlessly ever since. Might not be something anyone would advise you to try but hey,had nothing to lose as it wasn't working anyway
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote