Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th May 2016, 01:26   #61
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
For anyone that has followed my postings, today my sage came to a close. !
Can you please supply the lnks to the threads that precedes this one on this issue ? Just to pull it all together...

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 07:12   #62
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
As worrying as it might be, I don't think that the GSIUR applies to touring caravans that are for personal use only (they do if you hire them out to others), so they wouldn't have to be 'Gas Safe registered' to work on gas appliances in a privately owned for sole use touring caravan.

Strange but true.
My understanding is that if they charge for any gas work, they have to be GasSafe registered and it is a separate GS qualification for bottled gas work - otherwise it is a criminal offence.

You can do work for yourself, providing you are 'competent'.

Having caught out Corgi and GS qualified engineers doing poor and dangerous work several times in the past, I now only trust myself to carry out the work.

I carry out regular inspections and leak tests both at home, and in my caravan.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 07:14   #63
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Would you like to speak to Admin; Simon ask him to reinstate the post, it was removed after the engineer put a complaint in that I was taking action and had shared my experience, at the time I spoke to Simon who agreed I had not breached any club rules and at the time had not named either the engineer or company, and that I would only do so if I won a legal judgement, of which I now have.

I will also message Simon

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 00:25   #64
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

And all threads now merged to keep the story in one place

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 07:14   #65
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Hi Kieth

Overseal is a new one on me!
They used to recommend the non setting bedding sealant be removed and the area thoroughly cleaned every five years to prevent it drying out and cracking.
I have changed / re sealed many a awning rail in my time as a caravanner as well as replacing window seals
Well done for standing your ground
Regards
Steve
I bought a used caravan from one of the largest local dealer ships. I assumed buying from a dealer they would have ensured all was right with it. They assured me it had been checked for damp and was absolutely dry, plus any problems I might find later, they would deal with. There were obvious signs of it having been probed with a damp meter, which further assured me.

It later became obvious that the damp probe marks were where damp had been found, possibly by the dealer and likely the dealer had got the van for just the scrap value, to resell. Checking their other offerings more carefully later, they had a large area full of vans all suffering from serious damp issues and all for sale at inflated prices.

In fact it turned out to be sopping wet through in many areas, plus numerous other faults. When tackled over this, they just said 'tough', but did agree to 'overseal' it. Their 'overseal' was the same as in the above photos and was some 15 years ago.

I wasn't satisfied and eventually ended up dropping the caravan off at their site, blocking their access road with a large sign in the front window stating how the company had treated me after sale.

They subsequently agreed to rebuild the entire front, the worst part of the damage, but the van really was so bad it was only fit for scrap and it didn't last us long before I scrapped it.

The photos suggest that the area where the 'overseal' has been applied, have not even been cleaned before the sealant was applied. At best you can only call that a temporary fix to gain a bit of time.

My present van was bought for a song, as an accident damaged write off, which I repaired. I have been absolutely happy with it, no issues and it really is completely dry.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 11th May 2016 at 07:19..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 19:03   #66
chgperformance
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
I fear this may be the case; but that will be up to the court to decide I will ask for Full Immediate payment, the big problem is a small claim court will order payment but cannot enforce it, I really hope this guy settles as I will be prepared after going this far in paying for a Baliff Recovery, and that can prove to be very expensive for the 'defendant'

I know this is not in the spirit of this festive period, but I had to go and put a cover over the van the other day to reduce the risk of water coming down the van and causing further damage.

High court enforcement is the best way, I believe bailiff costs can be added to the debt?
chgperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 19:34   #67
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Well the cheque arrived, now just got to bank it and wait for it to clear.....then I can put this to bed and never use: North Tyne Mobile Caravan Clinic again....

Lesson learnt; just because the guy claims to be a Rover Enthusiast, and as I later found out a Forum member does not mean he can be trusted.

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote