Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2006, 22:55   #11
Keith O
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I've seen a diesel powered pressure washer lift off paint lacquer ( new premium brand German car! ) when used too closely to the vehicle so be careful with these.

With regard to the low powered domestic cold water versions, I have been the owner of one of these for a few years and find it very useful. I can't think of anything better for blasting away bird p**, just remember the shallow angle to avoid driving dirt into the paint surface. They are a little noisy though, quite easy to annoy the neighbours. I may be mistaken but I understand that they use less water than a hosepipe and that makes me feel a bit better about using the thing.

Keith.
Keith O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 09:07   #12
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

I use mine for the wheels and arches to shift mud and any other stuff that will hold moisture. I used to use it on the bodywork but I restrict it now to the shutline gaps and then only sparingly.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 10:10   #13
Oldun
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer con se

Angry Power wash

I would never never use a pressure washer with the detergent on. with just fresh water yes, but then only underneath and wheel arches. With the detergent on you are forcing a wetting agent into every seam. this means that water, perhaps with winter salt then has easy access to these seams. I worked for a short time with an ambulance service where all the vehicles were washed with a pressure washer and detergent. It was the only way to keep such a large fleet clean, but the penalty was rust and tons of it.
Oldun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 10:23   #14
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

I too just use it on the wheel arches and not for general washing.

I wet the car with a hose first or wash it when its raining, using a soft brush* and bucket of wash/wax. (*actually the one that came with the power washer) I prefer this to a sponge, which tends to hold onto grit and can scratch the paint.

Ron
Old 26th November 2006, 12:08   #15
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Most of the "Hand Washes" round here use big industrial Pressure washers first Before using hand mits with Cleaner then they Rinse with Pressure Washer then leather off. They always have queues of people wiating to be done, (literally I think), even brand new vehicles going through, but I'm wary of them. Use the one at Home for under wheel arches and Alloy wheels as seems the easiest way to get off the Crud. Also I do every now and then wash under the car with pressure washer as it spends a lot of time on the beach so like to remove the Salt (sea) deposits.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 12:19   #16
tourerfogey
Banned

Lots of interesting replies - thank you

Seems that most are happy to use a pressure washer for cleaning wheels and under the arches but not keen on washing the paintwork.

Personally, I do use mine to rinse off the paintwork after first washing with bucket and sponge. However I have the nozzle set to a wide fan so as not to concentrate too much pressure in any one spot.

I also use the pressure washer to do the wheels and under the arches and it is this that presents my main concern - that is water ingress into the brakes and also the possible ingress of water into any of the inner cavities of the bodywork through seam sealer, bolt holes, rubber grommets and the like.
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 12:55   #17
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Wink Pressure Washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerfogey View Post
Lots of interesting replies - thank you

Seems that most are happy to use a pressure washer for cleaning wheels and under the arches but not keen on washing the paintwork.

Personally, I do use mine to rinse off the paintwork after first washing with bucket and sponge. However I have the nozzle set to a wide fan so as not to concentrate too much pressure in any one spot.

I also use the pressure washer to do the wheels and under the arches and it is this that presents my main concern - that is water ingress into the brakes and also the possible ingress of water into any of the inner cavities of the bodywork through seam sealer, bolt holes, rubber grommets and the like.
Hi fogey. Have never had a problem with the brakes. In what way are you concerned as they are fairly bullet proof.
I also use under wheel arches but best of all is the extended upturned nozzle
attachment that is great for underbody washing during/after winter to remove dirt and salt (and washing outer sides of wheel arches that you cannot do with a straight nozzle)
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 13:25   #18
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Default Sponge?!

Hi Tourerfogey,

Elsewhere on here, or the .org forum, is a very detailed "how to" on washing/polishing the car, and "sponge and a bucket" are not recommended!

Lambswool mitt and TWO buckets is correct.

I may sound as if I am taking the mick out of the advice here, far from it, I have bought myself a mitt, and use the second bucket for washing it out, it's amazing how dirty the water in the second bucket gets, and how clean the first one stays. Sponge has gone in the bin, as it seems it may do more damage than even a pressure washer........
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 19:11   #19
K 5ive
Avid contributor

Zafira SRi and Combo B

I use a Kranzle on mine, that i have just bought. You can vary the pressure on it so no worries. It is awesome at cleaning all the crud off the wheels.
I think i will use this 2 bucket system from now on. I wondered what it was.
K 5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 20:00   #20
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

I remember about 20 years ago, working as a car cleaner and using a very high pressure washer. Once I got a bit too close, and took a large area of paint off a brand new unregistered car.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote