Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th December 2015, 15:16   #1
Armymick

75 cdti saloon

Default Auto won't change down from 5th

Evening folks,my newly bought diesel cdti auto 05 plated contemporary se has a problem. When on motorway in 5th and slowing down to say 55mph at 1500 revs the car will not change down into a lower gear. This results in much juddering as it tries it's hardest to pull away at low revs still in 5th. I have disconnected the battery for an hour as suggested to reboot the ecu but it still does it in drive. The car goes up the box no problems and in 3 and 4 OK any ideas and if anyone can recommend a rover guy in Kent area would be very grateful as I intend to take the family to Scotland for Chimbo.
Armymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 15:24   #2
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Put you foot down a bit further and it'll kick down..... mine does anyway

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 18:13   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armymick View Post
When on motorway in 5th and slowing down to say 55mph at 1500 revs the car will not change down into a lower gear. This results in much juddering as it tries it's hardest to pull away at low revs ...
Mick,

It's possible that this is a phenonemon peculiar to the diesel engine because I've a feeling that someone else has reported it. Hopefully a diesel expert will be able to confirm or dismiss that.

Whatever it is, it is much more likely to be the result of an engine problem than a fault with the automatic gearbox. Your best bet would be to wait for advice from diesel owners on this forum.

Simon
Old 19th December 2015, 18:21   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Wish I could be of help, but it's a new one on me Simon, never heard of it before. Sounds like a possible T4 diagnosis would throw up some answers?
Edit. Your nearest T4 operator is Kenton, based in Borehamwood

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...er.php?u=23084

Last edited by RPWC; 19th December 2015 at 18:29..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2015, 23:37   #5
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

I've come across this issue on several occasions, and I have reached a conclusion that it only happens when speed and road angles change rapidly as well as maybe in conjunction with light braking, and then a touch on the throttle followed by a quick release, etc.... This causes a judder in mine, but another, firmer, brief touch to the throttle sorts it out..... when I leave the S-bend, with a downward approach and a rising exit, also having been under a 2 mile rise in altitude prior to the short S-Bend.......

I have talked to other members about this issue, and TBH it appears that it is a set of circumstances that throw the "brain" into a bit of a confused state

I just live with it.... (BTW Fluid in Gearbox id correct and is warm when it happens)

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 05:07   #6
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Just a thought, as my knowledge of auto boxes is minimal having owned only one auto (lexus GS3000) previously. On the usual TV car programs like auto trader etc, if they have a slow or problematic auto gear change they always change the transmission fluid with good results. Im sure transmission fluid can become "exhausted" and doesn't work as it should and needs to be changed. Maybe its worth having yours checked to see how fresh it is.
Old 20th December 2015, 08:07   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragrad View Post
... I have reached a conclusion that it only happens ... maybe in conjunction with light braking ...
Braking might well be very significant Andrew, but the OP doesn't mention it.

Mick, can you let us know whether or not you have applied the brakes when this phenonemon happens?

Simon
Old 20th December 2015, 08:09   #8
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Fella View Post
Just a thought, as my knowledge of auto boxes is minimal having owned only one auto (lexus GS3000) previously. On the usual TV car programs like auto trader etc, if they have a slow or problematic auto gear change they always change the transmission fluid with good results. Im sure transmission fluid can become "exhausted" and doesn't work as it should and needs to be changed. Maybe its worth having yours checked to see how fresh it is.
Yes I remember on Wheeler Dealers that they had a Porsche Boxster with a faulty auto box which was fixed with just an oil and filter change.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 08:16   #9
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

As stated,first port of call would be a fluid change when it comes to problems with autobus,which reminds me,still got the missus signum to do yet.
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 01:54   #10
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Next time it happens use the gear lever to engage 4th gear, if it still wont change then change the oil. if it changes OK, try planting your foot on the go faster pedal, diesels are not as sensitive as petrol engines innit, so give it some welly...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote